Cosmo.....

Has been losing weight and I was worried about Ostio...(of course). He was always called Big 'Mo because of his size..

Anyway, I finally got him to a vet. He went from 70# to 59# in 3 months. I new he was skinny but not that bad.. :eek

After x-rays, it was either Valley Fever or Ostio. Test results are in and it is Valley Fever. :confetti (Thank God) So I was wondering if anyone has had to deal with this? I have talked to Leah Cole and she is so happy for us...of course..the lesser of two evils..

I have done a lot of research already and called Skinny 'Mo's vet and gave her the pharmacy that I want to use and everything...

Anyone???

Oh..and no flames please....here in the Hot season, they all drop weight and I just never realized how skinny he was..I have them ranging from 42# to 75#.....and I was so scared it was ostio.....my bad :ph34r:weep

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Thank goodness it was NOT osteo. Sending prayers for a quick recovery and huge appetite. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Oh, so pleased it's not osteo! :yay Hope he recovers soon. Sending hugs :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Here's the coolest link I've ever seen on VF. The fact that Suzanne Stack, a vet in Yuma who knows greyhounds inside out and who co-authored the paper, is even cooler!

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...gi?artid=340059

PS Don't beat yourself up about the weight loss; it can happen so gradually it can be missed. I know I've done that too.

Marcia in SC

Edited to add: PS I bet you've seen this but I like the world to see informative papers like these. :nod

Edited by MZH

Leah Cole saw 'Mo yesterday and said he did not look nearly as bad as she expected for the weight. But is skinny. About a week on meds and he should start to gain....

Excellent....We've had quite a few dogs come in from Arizona with VF and to date...all are doing well. Mo stays in our prayers!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thank you for the link. I have already read everything I could get my hands on by Dr Stack. I even spoke to her a few years ago when I was to foster a VF dog. She is a very kind and caring lady. Will tell you everything you need to know.....

Thank you for the weight loss comment. It was DH who noticed it first when he came home on a weekend. I truly thought he got used to the labs and stuff in CA......... :ph34r

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

You're welcome on both counts, Sheila.

Interesting that DH noticed the difference after being away for the week. Same thing happens to me. When people don't see them for days or months the weight loss, or any changes, really, are more noticeable. When you're there day after day, it's harder to tell unless you get them weighed every few days!

Marcia

I know there's a compounding pharmacy in AZ that can save you big bucks on the cost of the anti-fungal med that's recommended for VF. Dr. Stack or probably Dr. Cole could steer you in that direction. Hoping your boy puts some weight back on and feels better soon! :getwell

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I know there's a compounding pharmacy in AZ that can save you big bucks on the cost of the anti-fungal med that's recommended for VF. Dr. Stack or probably Dr. Cole could steer you in that direction. Hoping your boy puts some weight back on and feels better soon! :getwell

Would that be Roadrunner Pharmacy?

You're welcome on both counts, Sheila.

Interesting that DH noticed the difference after being away for the week. Same thing happens to me. When people don't see them for days or months the weight loss, or any changes, really, are more noticeable. When you're there day after day, it's harder to tell unless you get them weighed every few days!

Marcia

DH was actually away for about 5 weeks when he came home and noticed.

Would that be Roadrunner Pharmacy?

I am using Roadrunner. But just to tell you that I did price around and Diamond Back the only difference was the $6.00 shipping charge and I can get it at Sams for about $9.00 more. Would have been worth it for the first fill to start him right away instead of waiting 4 days to get here :headwall

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com