I HATE LS. Thunder, who will be 14 next month (WOO HOO!!) has it, to the best we can tell. He also now has a complete fear of the car and gets so worked up even on the 15 min ride to the vet that he poops, panics and is breathing so hard, I swear he's going to have a heart attack. THe injections are therefore not an option ...

What can I do at home for him? This is where we are:

His general attitude is awesome. He eats a full meal every time offered and has never turned down a treat. He seems like he's in good spirits for a dog his age :) That's the good part.

He can't stand for more than 2-3 seconds before sinking down ... when he's eating, I now sit right next to him and keep propping him up. Drinking is the same. He will NOT eat laying down ... silly boy.

His tail has little/no movement :( That is hugely sad for me.

He sometimes falls when pooping. I have to help him about 2-3 tiimes a week and yesterday he fell over really hard mid-poo. Peeing is no trouble at all, thankfully.

He needs help getting into bed and will not lay on the chair/couch any more :(

Has a really hard time getting up from laying down.

I know, I know. I've posted lots of negatives and trust me, I've thought about the inevetable with my vet and friends/family. Wiht his overall happy attitude and the fact that he can still get up, even if slow, and still eats a full meal, licking the bowl clean ... I know its not his time ... yet.

The reason for posting is to get tips on how to help him be happier and enjoy life more during the the final weeks/months.

Can I just say it sucks huge that his body betrays him like this ...

Any thoughts/tips/etc would be MUCH appreciated.

Cindy Missing my Thunder... Copper and Cowboy

siggy.jpg

GPA-Wisconsin

GPA-Wisconsin E-Bay Benefit Auctions

Wow. I guess your vet won't come out and do the injections at your house, eh?

Would a ramp help for the car?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Wow. I guess your vet won't come out and do the injections at your house, eh?

Would a ramp help for the car?

I tried a ramp when he broke his foot last year. He does NOT like that!! Wow, he did not like it! I was like "ok, guess we're NTO going the ramp route." :lol Wouldn't even walk on it when it was flat for practice!

I should also add for general knowledge, T is on every supplement known to mankind. Colodin (AWESOME for old dogs!!), glucosomine, chondroiton, MSM, B Complex, metacam daily ...

siggy.jpg

GPA-Wisconsin

oh, my boy Peppy is going thru this too,, his birthday is TODAY 14yrs. (shamless plug sorry!)

Peppy doesn't let me help him with ANYTHING! he is very agitated in his old age and is getting more nervous all the time. I just watch him lake a hawk, and try to help when i can. I hate watching his body get tired and old!

where is the magic wand!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

14 years old, whoo hoo!!

Most vets wont give it, because it is liver toxic, have you tried a depo-medrol injection? they can provide relief for up to 6 months.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

oh, my boy Peppy is going thru this too,, his birthday is TODAY 14yrs. (shamless plug sorry!)

Peppy doesn't let me help him with ANYTHING! he is very agitated in his old age and is getting more nervous all the time. I just watch him lake a hawk, and try to help when i can. I hate watching his body get tired and old!

where is the magic wand!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PEEPY!!!!

What do you do when your at work? Soemtimes at night, when he tries to get onto the bed himself, he misses -- I'm right there to help steady him and get him going again. I am so paranoid that he'll fall and get stuck when I'm at work. I can't block him from the bedroom -- its the only place he really rests comfortably. I also can't crate him (he said no thanks to the crate about 6 years ago by breaking off all his canine teeth).

Do you make special accomodations for Peepy during the day?

siggy.jpg

GPA-Wisconsin

Guest wmlcml6

You might also see if your vet will give you an rx for dexamethazone, Cindy. It worked wonders for Curly Sue during her last year. She would act like a five year old for a few days following a shot of it, and then it would gradually wear off and she would get stiff again and we'd give her another shot. I don't think we did that more than once a month - I'll have to ask Bill if he remembers.

Guest TBSFlame

Tessie is 12 1/2 and has LP. I am seeing a lot of weakness in her back end and wondering if LS is also coming upon her. She also gets very stressed when going to the vet. She had such a spell with her LP last vet visit (April 16) I thought she was going to die. I vowed I would never put her in a car again unless it was a life or death kind of thing. We have a mobile vet here in the area and I am going to start usting them for Tessie. It is so sad when they start to age and grow old. 14 is a wonderful age and you are so blessed to have them that long. I hope my Tessie girl makes it to 14.

Have you tried oral pred instead of metacam? You can always add a low dose tramadol if he needs it.

Chiropractic and acupuncture really help. Pred, chiropractic, acupuncture and supplements are what helped my advanced aged seniors.

Sending prayers.....

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

where is the magic wand!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PEEPY!!!!

What do you do when your at work? Soemtimes at night, when he tries to get onto the bed himself, he misses -- I'm right there to help steady him and get him going again. I am so paranoid that he'll fall and get stuck when I'm at work. I can't block him from the bedroom -- its the only place he really rests comfortably. I also can't crate him (he said no thanks to the crate about 6 years ago by breaking off all his canine teeth).

I am very fortunate to work from home!

Peppy gets stuck often during the day, like he has alzheimers, and can't figure out how or where he should go next.

I put all kinds of rugs down after I found him on the tile floor once. he couldn't get himself up, it broke my heart to see him so helpless!!!

I think I would make a very safe room, or xpen area, for Peppy if i worked out of the house.

good luck to you and xoxox to your Thunder!!

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Have you tried oral pred instead of metacam? You can always add a low dose tramadol if he needs it.

Chiropractic and acupuncture really help. Pred, chiropractic, acupuncture and supplements are what helped my advanced aged seniors.

Sending prayers.....

Yeah, I'll second the alternative route, too. Turbo has had chiro and acupuncture for other ailments and he did well with them.

Hope you can get some good relief for your non-ramp walking boy :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Sending prayers.....

Yeah, I'll second the alternative route, too. Turbo has had chiro and acupuncture for other ailments and he did well with them.

Hope you can get some good relief for your non-ramp walking boy :)

For us,, my Pepton will not let anyone, even me touch him like he needs for chiropractic or acupuncure help..... he used to have treatments all the time, and you'd think he'd remember how wonderful they are!

we are doing rimadyl and sometimes tramadol if he is feeling really stiff and sore!

Guest caiteag

Cindy, you just described exactly what we went through in Quinn's last months. I strongly urge that you talk to your vet and see if she/he is willing to come to your home to do the depo-medrol shots. They can give a HUGE level of relief. If not, we used metacam with limited success and even tried tramadol. Quinn couldn't travel, so chiro and accupuncture weren't really options for him. He was also on every supplement we could find for him.

If you need to talk.. or have any other questions.. I'm here for you.

Guest KennelMom

LS sucks :( It finally eroded our boy Caesar's quality of life too much....

C was able to get the shots for a while and they were amazing, but eventually we didn't see a much improvement afterwards so we discontinued them (he also *hated* going to the vet or in the car so it just wasn't worth it to make him go). We were able to manage his pain at an acceptable level with tramadol.

:grouphug Sending prayers that you can find something that helps :hope

Guest ss556

Sending prayers. My Alan is going to be 11 in July and he has aged a lot this year. His legs are weaker and he's wobbly. He can trott better than he can walk. It saddens me everyday to see him this way, it happened so fast. I bought a harness but haven't used it yet from godsgreyts.com. Maybe this will help when you are home.

Guest Vinnie

I agree with the harness suggestion and/or a "lift" helper for the back end - lift & aid dog harness - petsmart has one to give you an idea: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753794 - it helps with steadying the greyt if they have health issues or tri-pods. It really helped when our officemates greyt had back surgery. Sending hugs to you and scritches to Thunder - you just gotta love the old guys - I have a greyt that we watch who just turned 14 and he has some of the same issues - and he's on all the supplements too. It just kills you when you see them struggling but you know its not time yet. Good luck - I hope you can find something to give him relief that he doesn't have to get stressed out over to get.

What about removing your bed frame and just putting mattress on the floor? Put a waterproof mattress cover on, then a nice pad and sheets so you only have to wash those last two if.

We don't have much trouble during the day as dogs are rarely alone more than 2-3 hours at a time. At night, tho, one of us either sleeps with 15 yo whippet or we use an ex-pen to limit him to one end of his favorite room -- he's got his nice bed, his nice blankie, his water dish, etc. ... but he can't try to get up on the sofa or chair. We put down rubber-backed mats to cover most of his overnight floor space so it's easier to clean up if he can't wait.

He is pretty wobbly now but I think not so weak behind as your Thunder. If I put a dish on the floor for him and it takes more than a couple minutes to clean it out, he will sit or lie down with it.

We don't let him do the stairs any more. (He isn't good about letting people help -- he still wants to do the "bound" and "scramble" methods, and we don't want any crashes.)

Sending hugs to yourself, and gentle scritchies to your Thunder.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I agree with the acupuncture suggestions. Acupuncture made a noticeable difference in Chancy's LS symptoms. :goodluck: I would also see about getting a vet to do housecalls for the shots...

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest vahoundlover

Somethings that have helped Boss (13.5)

He wears a harness from GodsGreyts 24/7, it's been a godsend to help him up and to help keep his balance when he's walking thru the house and outside. It hasn't rubbed him raw anywhere and he doesn't mind wearing it at all. He gets accupuncture regularly and is on several herbs. We gate him off in the living room and put waterproof crib matress pads down covering the carpet at night and if we are gone, if he has to potty he can and it's easy clean up. We bought him a double bed size mattress for him to sleep on. He can't get down on regular dog beds and getting up from one is impossible. All slick surfaces are covered in rubber back mats, not pretty but who cares!! Both our vets (eastern and western) will come to the house if we need them. Boss likes car rides and going to the vet doesn't stress him out, so that part is not a problem for us. When we get there, I let them know we are in the parking lot and they come out to get us. They have rubber back mats down for him to walk/stand and a bed for him to lie on.

http://northcoastgreyhounds.net/store/index.php/cat_140

I'm sorry Thunder and you are going thru this. :(

Sending my prayers and gentle hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I am sorry that you are going this with Thunder.....I recently had a similar situation with my friends boy Jupp, he had a slipped disc causing paralysis and then went through surgery....We found a sling for supporting his backend very helpful when moving him around.

I found this link for something similar LINK....sending hugs and best wishes for you both.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT