Greys And Valium

Guest ss556

Guest ss556

Has anyone given their greyhound valium for any reason? I have to give Alan one, 2 hrs. before his xray on Monday. I hope he's not too "drugged". THE VET GAVE ME 10 MG. OF VALIUM!! I hope he can get in and out of the SUV ok.

Edited by ss556

Guest SusanP

Is Diazapam the same as Valium? I tried that for awhile with Zippy for T-storms, but she didn't seem doped up.

Guest KennelMom

Champ gets 5mg for thunderstorms. Takes the edge off so he's his normal calm & collected self but he doesn't seem drugged or doped up.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I give Morgan diazepam (5mg x 3 day) when he throws his neck out (along with other medications). The Vet said it would make him groggy, but I didn't notice anything. I once accidently double dosed him and still didn't notice any grogginess.

Really depends on the dog as to how they react to what dosage. To be on the safe side, I wouldn't let him go up and down stairs by himself once you've given it, and you'll want to give him a hand getting in and out of your vehicle. GOOD LUCK!!!!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Carl is about 76lbs, I used to have to give him 5mg for his SA so that I could get out of the house and he wouldn't destroy things. I'd give it to him 20 - 30 min. before leaving. It didn't make him dopey, just took the edge off. (he doesn't need it anymore!)

Good luck with the xray visit and the results.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I've used it with Thunder for t-storms. 5mg tabs, I believe. I used 1/2 tab before a storm and it helped TREMENDOUSLY in easing his tstorm phobia (was awful -- he'd injur himself, he'd be so scared). He would be quiet and sleepy but not completely doped up.

HOpe that helps.

Cindy Missing my Thunder... Copper and Cowboy

siggy.jpg

GPA-Wisconsin

GPA-Wisconsin E-Bay Benefit Auctions

We tried valium with Athena once. It did absolutely nothing to calm her.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Guest ss556

Well as long as it doesn't make him in a stuper-like state or have some bad side effects, I won't worry that much about giving it to Alan.

If they gave you enough medication, you may want to give him a tab this weekend while you are home to monitor his reaction. When they gave me Valium for Carl I gave it to him while I was home all day so I could see if he had any ill side effects. I did not want to give it to him and leave for work not knowing how it was going to effect him while I was gone.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

I edited my first post - it's 10 mg. of valium. seems like a lot. I hope he does ok w/ it.

Carl is about 75lbs and he only got 5mg. (they gave me 10mg pills and told me to split them). Depending how big Alan is, 10mg seems like an awful lot. My neighbor takes Valium and she only gets 5mg., she weighs about 100 - 120lbs.

Edited by ckruzan

Guest KennelMom

I wouldn't worry too much about 10mg with a 75lb dog. Grandpa is low 60-ish pounds and you wouldn't notice 5 mgs in him - it literally just takes the edge off of him so he doesn't stress during thunderstorms. We started him at the lowest dose and since it worked, left it at that. But, he also has a valium suppository that we keep on hand that's 10mg. Depending on what they're x-raying, they may want him to be fairly relaxed. The only time our vet has needed a dog drugged is to xray the back hips and in that case they put them under real quick...Haley needs her hip examined, so we're just combining it with a dental.

Guest ss556

They have to xray his right rear leg/hip. Since he has high blood pressure and kidney disease and is almost 11, they do not want to put him under. Ideally, he should have xrays of his entire spine, but it's not going to happen. We just have to rule out cancer at this point in that one area.

Valium (diazapam) is one of the meds Piper takes for his seizures. He doesn't take it daily but it is used when he is having multiple seizures close together. He's taken it both orally and rectally (oh joy!) It's pretty standard to start with 10 mg orally for him and sometimes he is given additional 10 mg doses (per the vet) depending on how the seizures respond. It really doesn't wipe him out. I think dogs metabolize that medication differently than humans.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.