Update: "old Age, Heart Trouble, What To Expect"

Guest PDXFOX

Guest PDXFOX

I just wanted to post an update for those of you who gave me advice in my prior post regarding Buddy's problems (congestive heart failure). I took him back to the vet last week and they put him on Lasix. The good news is that it worked wonderfully for controlling his coughing. This last week would have been agonizing for all of us if we hadn't done that. The bad news is that, unfortunately, he continued to go downhill in just about every other way. It was an agonizing decision, but he will be leaving us tomorrow night. We are heartbroken, of course, but feel confident in our decision that this is a "gift" that we can give him. On the other hand, we were very lucky to have him grace our lives for 10 wonderful years.

Although I haven't posted here prior to this, I have often "lurked" and gotten wonderful advice. I just want to take this opportunity to thank all you wonderful people who frequent this board. You help far more people than you know.

I'll be holding you close in my thoughts tomorrow night. I'm sorry you're having to say goodbye. Give Buddy a little scritchy and a kiss for me, and hugs to yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Please know in your heart that you are doing the right thing for him. One of our greys had congestive heart failure and I know we waited to long to say goodbye. I do feel in hindsight we may have made her suffer for our own selfishness at the time because we didn't want to let her go. It's a difficult decision to make and one that we all must face at some point. My thoughts and prayers are with you! I'm so sorry.

I'm sorry it's time for him to go. :( What a lucky pup to grace your heart and home for 10 years! :beatheart Prayers that his passing is gentle, and that you are at peace.

I'm sorry it's time for him to go. :( What a lucky pup to grace your heart and home for 10 years! :beatheart Prayers that his passing is gentle, and that you are at peace.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

We'll be thinking of you and know it will be a peaceful journey to the bridge for your sweet Buddy :grouphug

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Tenderhearts

There will be a candle lit in Kansas tomorrow for all of you, and I know that Bart, Lori Ann, and Skittle will be there to welcome your precious Buddy :grouphug:candle :candle

Guest BigPercyInMa

I'm sorry, I'll be thinking about you :(

We went through a similar situation 2 years ago when we had to let go our Lab. It wasn't easy, but no regrets.

Sending prayers. I know how hard this is. :grouphug Hug Buddy for me. :(

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest paulamariez

Oh, I am sooo sorry to hear about Buddy. That is one of the most difficult decisions to make, but usually they let us know when the time is right. I am so sad for you and your precious Buddy. I will keep you and Buddy in my thoughts and prayers. Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Buddy some tearful doggie kisses.

Guest PDXFOX

Thank you all SOOOO much for the love, prayers, hugs, kisses..... You will never know how much you have helped me this week. :grouphug

Buddy went to the bridge tonight and I am so happy. Absolutely heartbroken, of course, but also happy that my big beautiful boy is now romping around like a puppy again with all his old and new friends at the bridge.

All my life, when I've had something serious to deal with, the thing I've found most therapeutic for me is to write. And write I have tonight. For those of you who like to read, I have posted a very long eulogy to my very special boy on the Remembrance board. And, for everyone, thank you so much for the support.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

I am so sorry that you've had to send Buddy to the bridge. It's a loving Final Gift that we can give our pets. :grouphug to you

Guest HeatherDemps

I'm just now seeing this- I'm so very sorry for your loss but am glad that you are taking comfort in knowing that he is well and healthy again at the bridge.