Lump - Would You Have It Removed?

How long till the next dental anyway? If it's benign I'd probably wait rather than put him under twice, or at least move up the dental.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Why does the vet think you should remove it? Is it blocking an airway? Is it hard, soft, in a node?

Is it a lypoma (a benign fatty tumor)? If so, does your vet regularly remove lypomas? If so, I'd find another vet, because once a dog gets lypomas, they tend to get more, and you'll have to repeat the surgery process. It's my opinion (and the opinion of all but one vet I've met) that owners shouldn't bother removing lypomas.

FWIW--I'm not a medical professional (and I don't play one on TV-- :rolleyes: ) but I do have a mixed-breed dog who has a number of lypomas, each of which has probably been aspirated at least three times because I'm a nervous-dog-mommy, but I haven't had any removed.

I'd ask the vets LOTS of questions before subjecting a greyhound to anesthesia if there isn't a real need.

DD

ETA--Where in the neck is the lump? If it could be a lymph node, I'd see about getting tests done at a second vet.

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

How big is it? Is it interfering with his collar/harness or causing him any other difficulties?

If it's large-ish and/or growing, I'd probably remove it but wouldn't be in a huge hurry to do so.

Re lipomas: They're kind of a crapshoot. Whippet had one that went quite deep and got involved in the muscle. We wished we'd taken it off sooner.

Whippet also had a lump on his neck that we were hoping would stay small but that grew to near golf ball size. We had it removed using a local and some valium to zone him out a bit; if your dog is good and calm at the vet's, might see if that's an option for you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest gapeach1

I am having a small mass (lump) removed on my 7 1/2 year old male) on Monday. Our vet does not mess with doing biopsies and going back and forth to wait and see what is going to happen. Murphy's lump is on his lower left leg and is about the size of my nail. It doesn't cause him discomfort, but I myself about worried about mast cell carcinoma. Has your vet given you any details of this disease? Is the lump growing any bigger? We are also having Murphy's removed for peace of mind, so it can be biopsied completely, and hopefully they can get clean tissue margins on all sides of the lump. We also decided to get Murphy's dental done at the same time as his lump removal. I don't think he is going to be too happy with me on Monday.

GAPeach1

Benign can turn malignant. I'd have it removed.

I agree to have it removed. I'm a believer in removing lumps and bumps that don't belong there.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I assume your vet just did a fine needle aspirate (FNA) of the lump not a biopsy. FNA's not not 100% accurate--some tumors don't give off cells very well. The only way you can definitely tell what kind of tumor it is would be to have it removed and have it sent off to the lab so a pathologist can have a look at it. The path Dr. will also be able to tell you if your Dr got clean margins (got it all). If your Dr okay's this maybe you can wait until he's teeth need to be cleaned that way you don't have to put him under twice. :P

I have to admit, I've never heard of a benign tumor "turning" malignant. Sometimes the malignant cells are missed (as someone noted above) but I haven't heard of them "turning". Can someone post info/links about this type of tumor behavior?

Thanx,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest gapeach1
I have to admit, I've never heard of a benign tumor "turning" malignant. Sometimes the malignant cells are missed (as someone noted above) but I haven't heard of them "turning". Can someone post info/links about this type of tumor behavior?

Thanx,

DD

Edited by gapeach1

Guest TBSFlame
Pongo has a lump on his neck - I had it biopsied and it is benign. The vet said remove it anyway. Or should I see if it changes and then get it done?

Tessie had a fatty tumor on she side a few years ago and we waited for her dental to remove it.