Bright Red Bloody Diarrhea

Guest i_heart_greys

Guest i_heart_greys

Our old girl has the runs big time and it's super bloody. We're going to take her into the e-vet. Any ideas what it could be?

She's had D all day, mostly grass and what looked like old blood. Tonight it's gotten a lot worse. Not eating or drinking, but she's in a good mood.

Poor baby!!

Always worrisome when there's a large amount of blood, or when it lasts for a while. Heck, even "regular" diarrhea can be dangerous because of dehydration (especially if she's not drinking).

What could it be - hard to say. Eating something "bad" is the first thing that comes to mind, but some dogs get diarrhea even due to stress. You say there's grass in it, is it possible that some of the grass she ate had pesticides on it?

I hope the e-vet can get this under control for you. We'll be thinking of you!

We once had a dog with a bad hookwork infection; boy, did he ever have bloody diarrhea. It really could be from a lot of things though. The grass eating and bloody diarrhea are connected, but finding out why will be the challenge.

We'll be pulling for her, so keep us posted please!

Marcia in SC

Don't know, but I'll pray for her--let us know what the evet says.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest ChancesMom

Please see my post "My Baby is Sick". I just brought him home tonight. Other than what he was finally diagnosed with they were also considering c-diff or whipworm. They had also asked me if he had gotten into any toxins or into the garbage. I am so glad that I took Chance right away as what he has could have been deadly gone untreated. Good luck and hugs to you all.

Guest i_heart_greys

Thanks for the prayers!!

Donna, thanks for the post. The e-vet is quite certain it is HGE from a toxin or her food (but she's on lamb and rice?!?!). She's always been a grass eater and a barfer, but never this bad. She's at the vet overnight getting fluids and antibiotics. I'll call around 11 to see how she is. Poor baby. That blood is sooo scary!

thanks again!

AMY

Edited by i_heart_greys

Good for you for getting her right in. She'll feel much better once the meds are on board. Will keep her in our prayers and thank you for the update.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest ChancesMom
Thanks for the prayers!!

Donna, thanks for the post. The e-vet is quite certain it is HGE from a toxin or her food (but she's on lamb and rice?!?!). She's always been a grass eater and a barfer, but never this bad. She's at the vet overnight getting fluids and antibiotics. I'll call around 11 to see how she is. Poor baby. That blood is sooo scary!

thanks again!

AMY

You are so welcome. I'm glad you got her in to the vet. I know what you mean about the blood. I am a nurse and when I saw it, it scared me to death. Keep us posted and prayers to you.

Carl had really bad diarrhea which led to a lot of blood. We were on a walk when he started bleeding, it was so awful, it just looked like it was pouring out. Bear in mind I'm phobic about blood, so maybe a little looked like a lot. The blood was probably mixed with the clear liquid from the big D, so it looked worse than it was. They gave him an injection and Flagyl at the vet, white rice and pumpkin for a week or so and he was on the mend, it took about a week for everything to "firm up".

Good luck to you both, please keep us posted.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Sending prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Glad she's getting good care, poor baby though. Prayers for a quick recovery and a calm mom.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Thanks for the prayers!!

thanks again!

AMY

Which lamb and rice food is she on? I ask because I have a call in to the vet right now for Iceman. He was just there Monday for his yearly and everything checked out fine but he had a little bit of bloody D earlier. Let me know what you find out.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest i_heart_greys

An update on Melody - I called at 6am this morning. They said she had a good night - no more D or vomiting. They fed her a little kibble this morning at 5 and she ate it. They're going to make sure it goes through her okay before they release her.

A few asked about food. We feed Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice Adult kibble plus a few tablespoons of wet Nutro lamb and rice canned. My other two hounds do fine on this food. The vet said we may have to switch her over to a sensitive belly diet. I'll keep you posted!!

amy

Guest SoulsMom

You might want to check out the Nutro threads in F&D, it seems some dogs are getting sick from it, same symptoms~Big D and vomiting.

Sending gentle, healing thoughts to your girlie . . . .

Edited by SoulsMom

Guest paulamariez

Glad to hear your girl is doing better! I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery! Very scary information about the Nutro diet. Glad I don't feed my three boys that food.