Puking Up Yellow Bile

Hi,

I thought we had the puking up yellow bile thing under control by feeding Missile a 1/2 cup of his kibble at night (that we reserved from his dinner meal at about 6pm). We feed him around 10pm before bed because I read here that sometimes when greyts tummy's are empty they puke up the bile. Well, the situation abated for a bit but now seems to be back, for the past few weeks he is puking the icka up about 2-3 times a week in the early am around 5am. I also read it might be the food. He is on California Gold kibble, white rice, chopped boiled chicken, pumpkin and a little cottage cheese. We arrived at this meal combination after switching kibble 3 times (slowly) and going to bland food in-between to control the diahrea. Eventually we figured out that if we keep the bland food in there a little and mix with the kibble - he has great stools. So we cured the diahrea problem, but now the morning puke fest seems to be back even after nighttime feedings. Any help to offer?

Missile.jpg

BABY, HE WAS BORN TO RUN!

My non-grey suffers from some digestive issues due to some damage prior to our adopting her. We have done some different things for both diarrhea and vomit issues. One of the more helpful additives for the stomach we found was giving her acidophillus tabs. We did this at the suggestion of our vet. Acidophillus is kind of a natural stomach settler. We just bought some at the local Walmart, and she chewed 2 to 3 tabs a day for a long, long time until we got the bulk of her stomach and bowel issues under control.

Just one suggestion to ask your vet about.

My non-grey suffers from some digestive issues due to some damage prior to our adopting her. We have done some different things for both diarrhea and vomit issues. One of the more helpful additives for the stomach we found was giving her acidophillus tabs. We did this at the suggestion of our vet. Acidophillus is kind of a natural stomach settler. We just bought some at the local Walmart, and she chewed 2 to 3 tabs a day for a long, long time until we got the bulk of her stomach and bowel issues under control.

Is there a particular brand that you use?

Missile.jpg

In my dog's case, it was the food. Switched food, no problem.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That was my old buddy Batman, who is gone now. The problem he had was with Nutro -- I tried several types within that brand. He could eat Purina ONE, SciDi Lamb & Rice, several other kibbles, and my home cooking :) with no problem. But the Nutro, nope. Yellow bile slimy puke almost every morning and sometimes in the afternoon as well. Presumably some ingredient in that food irritated his stomach. I haven't fed Nutro in years so don't recall what it might've been -- maybe sunflower oil? But it could be different for every dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No advice, but I'm watching this with interest, since Gabe does it, too. It's pretty rare - maybe once very two months or so - so I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause. That said, he was on Nutro while it was happening. We've recently switched to Natural Balance.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

ETA: In your shoes, I would probably look for a food that has a completely different list of ingredients -- or as different as possible -- from the things you've tried so far.

We went from Eukaneuba to Merrick to California Gold in about 10 months time. California Glod is supposed to be one of the blandest good kibbles out there. My theory was that Merrick was just too rich. Stool was never good and puking was more frequent. Not sure where to go with food from here.

Missile.jpg

we had a non grey who would puke bile. the vet said give the dog a piece of bread at night. IT worked. won't hurt to try it. the dog was small so i gave like 1/8 of bread so maybe try 1/2 piece for the grey. good luck let us know.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

we had a non grey who would puke bile. the vet said give the dog a piece of bread at night. IT worked. won't hurt to try it. the dog was small so i gave like 1/8 of bread so maybe try 1/2 piece for the grey. good luck let us know.

now he already gets a half meal at night, so would i substitute or add the bread?

Missile.jpg

Spring Valley, in a white bottle with a yellow and green label. They must not taste bad, b/c she eats them right up.

Our Flashy was doing this also 2-3 times a week on Nutro. We started him on Pepcid at bed time and a cookie. We since have switched his food and I am thinking of stopping the Pepcid to see how he does. I felt so bad for him. :blush

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest lotsagreys4me

Sensitive tummy, have you tried a prescription kibble? I had to do that for one of my boys and it worked wonders for his tummy issues.

Sensitive tummy, have you tried a prescription kibble? I had to do that for one of my boys and it worked wonders for his tummy issues.

I have not tried any sort of prescription. The thing is it is hard to believe that he is allergic or having a reaction to a food ingredient when he puke only sometimes. If he had a food sensitivity, wouldn't it happen more often?

Our Flashy was doing this also 2-3 times a week on Nutro. We started him on Pepcid at bed time and a cookie. We since have switched his food and I am thinking of stopping the Pepcid to see how he does. I felt so bad for him. :blush

Regular human pepcid?

Spring Valley, in a white bottle with a yellow and green label. They must not taste bad, b/c she eats them right up.

OK, may try this. Will research what it does exactly.

Missile.jpg

I have not tried any sort of prescription. The thing is it is hard to believe that he is allergic or having a reaction to a food ingredient when he puke only sometimes. If he had a food sensitivity, wouldn't it happen more often?

Regular human pepcid?

OK, may try this. Will research what it does exactly.

Yes regular human Pepcid...I buy the Walmart brand. :)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest CyndiW

I second the Pepcid - we use Kroger brand or whatever store brand is convenient. It has worked wonders for my yellow bile puker. You can start with 10mg once a day. That worked great for mine for years but now he gets it twice a day. That should take care of it but if it doesn't, you can also ask your vet about reglan. It speeds up the digestion system rather than preventing acid but it does a great job keeping the acid going in the right way and not coming up the esophagus which can cause pain and damage long-term just like in humans. Reglan is usually safe and well-tolerated in low doses but it should be a last resort after you have tried some acid reducers. I believe the generic is on the Wal-mart $4 list. Tagamet and Prilosec are also used in dogs but I have always had the best luck with Pepcid. I almost forgot - give the Pepcid 30 min. before any meals or at least 2 hours after a meal for best results.

Guest RooRoo

No advice to give but I hope Missile's tummy troubles let up. It's no fun for either of you :getwell and it can be scary not to know the source of the problem

Good luck :goodluck

http://www.petcarenaturally.com/articles/diarrhea.php

There's a good article here that talks about probiotics, such as the acidophilus. We kept Ging on it in a maintenance pattern for well over a year. She had both the bile issue, as well as a terribly inflamed bowel--she looked like a concentration camp victim when we first adopted her. She could keep nothing down.

Today, very few problems. I use the acidophilus during the periods where she is blowing her coat, such as right now, b/c she licks her fur...and digests it...and it irritates her digestion. So I use it preventatively.

Sounds like a lot of people have good luck with Pepcid, too!

Guest paulamariez

We've always had good luck with liquid Pepto Bismol for our bile chuckers, because that's what our vet recommended. I'm curious to find out if the Pepcid is working, since I'm sure that's much easier to give a tablet than liquid! My Domino doesn't like to eat on the weekends when my hubby fixes his chow in the morning and sometimes heaves up the bile. Dom said that nobody fixes his chow like his mom does!