Urgent Help Needed Please

Guest hushpuppi

Guest hushpuppi

Gizmo in her wisdom (NOT) has decided that she doesn't want more than one feed a day and will only drink egg flips ( milk honey egg yolk ) trouble is she has 10 4 day old puppies I lost one pup due to ( I think ) her getting it jammed between her & the pig rail .... I'm out of my mind as there are 3 under sized bubs in the litter & I've been fighting tooth & nail to keep them alive ...I've cooked her scrambled eggs with red meat .cooked chicken, stews ,plain meat..roasted turkey breast...sardines !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! she will eat a little bit if I'm lucky...She is healthy no problems there mud fat actually.... is their someone experienced with this sort of problem here that can help ? any good reciepes ? etc ..............

Cheers

Jenni & the gang

Aust

Guest hushpuppi

I'm all ready stocked up on the milk replacer due to me supplimenting the little ones .please keep them in your prayers ....... I'm trying so hard

Cheers

Jenni & the gang

Aust

PM Cathie, wmlcml6 she raises greyhound puppies too. She might have some suggestions.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I had a buddy whose postpartum bitch wouldn't eat; like NevadasMom says, I poured "Ensure" on her kibble to entice her into eating. Don't know is they have it in Oz- it's a "meal replacement" originally designed for cancer patients, but bastardized by marketing into a high-fructose corn syrup geriatric nutrition-in-a-can thingie.

If I had the same problem, I'd try beef blood- if for no better reason, I have plenty on hand from beef heart. Our guys would eat sawdust if it had beef blood mixed in with it.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I'd just start tossing things at the board and see what sticks.

When my Rex was so sick it seemed that I just had to get him starrted by hand feeding him something very tasty like sardines, liver treats, liver sausgage, chesee, etc. Then if he was on the futon or dog bed I'd put down a small bowl of wet food. He'd usually eat that and I could then get him to eat kibble with mix ins. The whole key for him was to prime the pump so to speak. He would have withered away if I'd waited for him to eat out of a bowl to start. I made homemade milk replacer (similar to your flip but with yoguurt) for the 9 pups next door and the mother was all about it. I just started soaking her kibble in milk repaceruntil it got good a gooey before I gave it to her.

You and your charges are in our thoughts and prayers. :grouphug

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest hushpuppi

ok update SCRAMBLED EGGS :thumbs-up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with half cooked beef mince stew gravy & pasta etc she's had 3 feeds of that today plus I've been giving her a suppliment called vitapet (protien ) :confetti *fingers crossed* :hope went out and spent HUGE amount on all different things sighhhhhhhhhhhhh .... she seems bright alert happy puppies have full belly and are sleeping happily sooooooooooooo ......... my little guys are sticking in still I've called him tiny tim :D

will get pic for you guys tomorrow

Cheers

Jenni

Guest WhenIGiveIn

Glad things are going well, the only concern I have is that it is not normal for a bitch to stop eating when she has puppies. Have a few questions for you

Did you have her x-rayd to know how many puppies there were supposed to be?

Is this YOUR first litter?

Has she seen a vet since delivery?

Ok so now for the WHY I asked these questions. I would have to checked to make sure she isnt brewing an infection. If there was a puppy that wasnt delieverd could be stuck inside. The x-ray would give you and idea but with a big litter they are never 100%. I would take her into the vet, also I always supplements the moms with milk replacer in their food. Although scrambled eggs are great she does need MORE than that to keep her and her puppies healthy. Try mixing scrambled eggs milk replacer and dog food together to see if she will eat.

Good luck!

Guest hushpuppi

nope not my first litter ( I'm a Belgian shepherd (ANKC) registered breeder ) and have had litters before :)

...........no infections normal temp, she was given oxy shot after last pup all afterbirths counted for ... everything is fine with her vet the very next morn .... in fact I've found several similiar stories of bitches going of all food except for their selected choices , with no reason... seems some bitches can be hmm bitches :lol when I meant scrambled eggs she HAS to have the scrambled eggs added to her stews or mince before she will touch it I'm very particular about feeding ... and very anal about my dogs health !!!!!!!! Gizmo is just being painful & a bit of a diva lapping up the attention :lol

Cheers

Jenni & the gang