Getting Gum Off The Dog...

Guest VelvetEars

Guest VelvetEars

Let me preface this with "I have no clue how this happened, but I suspect my kids." (In other words, somehow chewed gum was left where a dog would lay on it. No one is fessing up.)

Jumpy has gum on her side. Or had...? She licked most of it off, along w/ her skin, in an area about the size of a half-dollar. But there's still some gum embedded in her hair around this area. DH tried peanut butter, which really confused Jackson --- why was daddy turning his sister into a snack? :chow

The peanut butter, unfortunately, didn't work. And after careful consideration and much measuring, DH determined that putting Jumpy in the freezer was not a viable option. :rolleyes:

Any other suggestions?

Right now I have a Tshirt on her so she won't lick anymore.

Guest GreytMuse

This is for people hair, but might be worth a try. I personally would skip the ice step!:

Things You’ll Need:

Canola Or Olive Oils

Ice

Combs

Plastic Bags

Step 1:

Put ice cubes in a plastic bag.

Step 2:

Apply ice cubes to gum until gum freezes and hardens.

Step 3:

Gently break gum away from the hair.

Step 4:

f the freezing method fails, apply a small amount of nontoxic oil, such as canola or olive oil, to hair around gum and to gum itself.

Step 5:

Massage oil into hair and gum; leave for 20 minutes.

Step 6:

Gently comb out gum. It should slide out easily. If it doesn't, repeat the process.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2591_remove-gum-hair.html

I've also heard of using vaseline, but hopefully the oil works. :)

Guest VelvetEars

As hard as it is to believe, we do not have ice in the house, and I'm running a fever w/ a sore throat, so I'm not going out tonight. I might just skip right to the oil. Maybe some nice olive oil...because if nothing else, her skin will be soft.

Good suggestions above. I have nothing constuctive to add - but I must say ( and I KNOW you won't appreciate this right now) THANK you for the most fun H&M thread I've seen in a LONG time!) BTW- I'd use oil.

When my DD got gum in her hair I called my older sister - and she LAUGHED for a good 5 minutes before telling me what to do. Not funny for me at the time. It's only funny after you've been there....done that.

Guest HoustonGreys

There's a product called Goo Gone that suppose to be safe for human hair. If I used it on my Grey I would be sure to wash all residue off.

why was daddy turning his sister into a snack? :chow

:rofl :rofl :rofl

OMG....no advice...just :lol

sorry!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest VelvetEars

Laughter is ok. I tried to see the humor in the situation so I wouldn't have to torture the kids to find the guilty party. (I'm also aggravated with DH for leaving the gumballs open and accessible to the kidlets. Although the boys are old enough to know that gum belongs in the trash, they're boys...and one of them likes to play with it after he's chewed it.)

We also have Goo Gone. The thing I'm wary of is that she's litterally licked all the hair and skin off in a rather large area. The remaining gum surrounds this area. I don't want to get anything on the raw skin that might irritate it more...or that she might accidentally ingest later. Unlike people hair, of course, there isn't much hair to work with!! If I had clippers, I might consider just shaving it. And it may come to that, if the oil doesn't work. I'm sure the vet would be happy to charge me a little $ to shave the dog.

Guest krisandzoo

Oh how I look forward to having children :rolleyes: I bet this will make for some fun stories down the road. One day your boys will be 20 and home for the holidays and the full story will come out.... when you find out who it is give them dish duty!

Let us know if anything works! Good luck!

Guest WhenIGiveIn

I have used Goo Gone on dogs before and I would htink it would work fine. Just wash the area with soapy water afterwards to be on the safe side.

when my son was three (or four, i forget which) he got a stick of chewing gum from somewhere (i never let him chew myself) and he decided to park it in his belly-button for later. it of course glued his bellybutton shut & when he came crying to us about losing his bellybutton, all we could see was a thin line where it used to be. it took a long time to get it out, used olive oil (extra virgin of course) - took so long because we spent so much time laughing. he's 36 now, i remind him of it occasionally when he gets full of himself....if that doesn't work, i remind him of the time the bee stung him on his willy.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

De-Solv-It to the rescue!

It is totally safe. Goo-gone or Goof Off or anything with petroleum distillates is not, especially if they decide to lick the area. De-Solv-It is a little harder to find that the G stuff, but it's worth the search! It's citrus-based, not petroleum-based.

Oil. Any kind of oil. Olive, corn, safflower, whatever you have. Blob some on and let it sit for a bit. Wipe, repeat.

Works for pine sap too.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest VelvetEars

Update:

She didn't lick it. She can't. But I found a spot of hair matching the missing spot, on her bed. Seems one of the kids dropped gum on her bed, which she laid on, and when she got up, it ripped the hair and skin off. (darn kids)

I took her Tshirt off this morning, and I'm going to let a little of the skin come back before I rub anything else on it. it's too tender for me to touch right now.

Guest VelvetEars
and when she got up, it ripped the hair and skin off. (darn kids)

Is it serious enough that she should see the vet?

Nah. It's not worth that at all. But I want to give it some time to heal before I start rubbing on it. ....it's kind of like that new skin that's right underneath a blister, if that makes any sense?

Never mind, I see your DH beat me to it :blush

Edited by JerseyGirlInOz

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers