Can They Reach Stitches Through A Muzzle?

Guest Kitty_cat

Guest Kitty_cat

Stewie just got stitches and is wearing his muzzle to stop him from reaching them. The vet asked if maybe he could still reach the stitches through the muzzle, I don't know, I hope not, I don't want to put an Elizabethan collar on... Any thoughts?

I hate to have to say this, but I've seen them get at stitches through the muzzle. What about the Bite-Not collar? They're so much easier on them than the e-collar. I wish you luck

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Yes they can, depending on where the stitches are.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

My girl was able to pull bandages off with a muzzle on so am assuming she could have pulled stitches out. Bought a stool guard just in case we are in that situation again hoping it would help prevent that sort of thing.

Guest CyndiW

With a muzzle on, Odysseus pulled some staples out after amputation and since he had Van Willibran's, he really got some bleeding going (to the point he had to get blood). I was afraid to use the guard in case he vomited. Wow, that was a long 2 weeks!! T-shirts do work nice. Sometimes they seem to forget they have the stitches.

Jasmine got to her stitches through the muzzle, Put a cup on it and they can't get them then. Good Luck. :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest houndlover

I agree that they can still get to the stitches through the muzzle. I will sometimes put tape over part of the muzzle so that they can't lick through it but I also worry that they could vomit with the muzzle on and choke (I know, I'm paranoid!). I like the t-shirts and bite not collars too.

Guest Kitty_cat

Update: he's had a t-shirt on and we've put duct tape on muzzle as we don't have a stool guard. He doesn't even try to touch the stitches this way, hopefully this will continue...

I found this muzzle on internet:

http://www.greyhoundmegastore.com/page89.html

the "travelling box muzzle" it has a built-in stool guard but it doesn't cover the top part of the muzzle (where the nostrils are), so if the dog vomits things can still drain out... Does anyone have this type of muzzle, do you like it?

Mine used his muzzle, which was taped, to push on his stitches and ended up making a big mess out of his wound. We used the e-collar, which he didn't like, but it worked.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Cole pulled his stitches out twice while muzzled. He also removed his t-shirt. He was a force to be reckoned with. :lol

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Guest sheila

not only could Kiowa get at stitches with a duct taped muzzle......he once got an Orange Dreamsicle cake off the kitchen counter, took it to the LR and had cake smeared on every square inch of the carpet and smooshed all over his legs and face. Ever try getting orange jello out of beige carpet?