Loud Stomach Noises, Diarrhea, Vomiting

Guest Bright_Flare

Guest Bright_Flare

Yesterday morning I took my hound Flare for a walk... she had one normal solid poop and one small runny poop which isn't that unusual for her, but then throughout the day she continued to have runny diarrhea poops with increasing frequency. By late that night she was trying to poop about once per hour, though I'm not sure if she actually got any poop out each time cause it was dark. I could hear her passing gas as she tried to poop which is kinda unusual.. I usually don't hear it because, well, she has no buttcheeks to flap.

Anyway... when my boyfriend got home at about 4:30am he gave her half an Imodium tablet. When I woke up at about 9:00 I noticed that she was still having diarrhea and that her stomach was making loud "growling" noises (like a human's stomach would make if they were very hungry or if their stomach was churning). I gave her another half of an Imodium. That was a little over an hour ago and she hasn't pooped again but her stomach is still making loud growling noises.

I also found a large vomit on the floor that she made at some point in the night, although I suspect this is from eating grass which she started doing in the middle of the night last night.

She's obviously not feeling well because she's not interested in eating breakfast or even treats, but she is still vamping for attention (rubbing her paws over her face, snuggling up to us, etc... the things she usually does when she wants some love). She doesn't seem to be in pain, when she moves around her movement is normal and when we poke (gently) at her belly she doesn't react with pain.

I know this is a bit of a novel, I'm just worried about her... any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

How long have you had her?

Is she drinking water?

Any signs of a temperature? Normal is around 101.5 (If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me.)

I would not give any more Immodium. Whatever is causing this does need to make it's way through.

Wally goes through spells of grumble tummy/occasional loose bowels. A slice of bread at bedtime has helped.

But I think you may have something else going on here. Check for dehydration.

Don't hesitate to call the vet.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Bright_Flare
How long have you had her?

Is she drinking water?

Any signs of a temperature? Normal is around 101.5 (If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me.)

I would not give any more Immodium. Whatever is causing this does need to make it's way through.

Wally goes through spells of grumble tummy/occasional loose bowels. A slice of bread at bedtime has helped.

But I think you may have something else going on here. Check for dehydration.

Don't hesitate to call the vet.

She is drinking plenty of water, so we know she's okay as far as that goes. We've had her for about a year and a half now. We did have one episode of sickness before in which she was refusing to eat or drink and it seemed like she had a sore belly. We were scared of bloat so we rushed her to the vet... the vet said she was dehydrated and we managed to get her drinking some Pedialyte, but that gave her diarrhea, so we gave her Imodium which worked. That's why we gave her the Imodium again this time for the diarrhea.

I don't think she does have a temperature, I haven't checked it cause I don't have a thermometer, but her nose is cold and wet as it normally is.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I would wait on giving any more immodium. Whatever it is needs to make it's way out, so I'd put her on a bland diet when she'll eat and make sure she's drinking lots.

Instead of pedialyte, try some low sodium chicken broth in her water if she needs enticement.

If you don't think it merits a vet visit, I'd not feed her until tonight and give her plenty of water.

Is there a possibility she ate something she shouldn't have?

Did you start a new bag of food? You might want to check the expiration date on it...

And she might have worms. Make sure you get the vet to do a stool check.

If you don't have a thermometer, you probably should get one. Very important to have in your medical supplies (we have one that's just for the dogs ;) ).

Everything else BlackandBrindle said, I agree. Maybe don't try to feed her anything at all for the day to let her digestive system concentrate on working out whatever's going on (but make sure she gets plenty of water), and start tomorrow with boiled rice. Do a search here for "bland diet" to find what others have used.

Keep an eye on her gums. If they start looking too pale, or too pink, that's not good. If you pinch up some loose skin on the back of her neck, and it doesn't pull back into shape quickly, that's a sign of dehydration, too.

Good Luck!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

• 1 month later...
Guest AravisKatzer

Bright Flare - my grey has the EXACT same symptoms... just started on Wednesday night... have you gone to the vet? Have you altered her diet? What is working and what is not?

I'm worried... just like you are!

Guest argolola

My girl had hookworms and the loud tummy was the first clue. She had to be on Strongid for over a year because she kept getting reinfected (we found out later) from walking in a "dog restroom" area.

Prayers for your sweet girl.

Definitely a vet check. Even if the fecal is negative you should ask for a trial dewormer like Panacur!

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest gomiesmom

We recently(month ago) had a hookworm issue& Lilly was passing (stinky) gas right before the diarreah was upon us. She also had a gurgly tummy and was trying to eat grass to sooth it.