Do Greys Get "darker" As They Age?

Guest gomiesmom

Guest gomiesmom

Maybe it's my imagination, but Gomer (3 yr old boy) seems to be getting more dark spots on the once pinkish skin of his underside. He has always been spotted, but it looks like they are slowing creeping to take over all of the pink skin area. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I would guess that Specky has had a 100% increase in her spot since we adopted her 2.5 years ago!

We feel that she is working hard on becoming a black dog with white spots instead of a white dog with black spots!!

DSC05614.jpg

DSC02915.jpg

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest celticfairiemom

We have had Callie for 2 and a half months and we all noticed that she has a lot more black spots on her belly and legs than when we got her. The skin that was greyish black is now really black and she is fuzzier - I figured it was the high quality food that made the changes happen.

Guest ArtysPeople

I'd noticed this on Arty recently, too, and wondered if it was the effect of growing more hair since he's been with us?

Guest Greyglo

Bill of the cell phone ad fame was there when I adopted white and blue Ghana. I was admiring her spots because it looked like 101 Dalmations were trying to get out. He said she'd get more over time. He's right! They're in her fur, though, not on her skin. Wish I had a better picture of them close up -

289002484.jpg

Zema's and Joseph's tummies (skin, not hair) have both been getting darker over the last month or two. Not sure if it's getting darker over winter, or getting darker because summer is coming. No change in white whippet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Spotted markings do seem to take a number of years to fully develop....I know someone who has a JRT who was born white, but has been steadily getting more and more black spots as she gets older....some people think she's a Dalmation pup :rolleyes: .....and they are born white and develop spots later. Same thing with many appaloosa foals in my experience.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest lotsagreys4me

Someone told me the spots get darker from being in the sun............Could this be the case with any of you? I would be interested in finding out.

I know that ticked dogs get more and more ticking over time. My boys are a good example (though they are not Greys). They both have developed more and more ticking, especially on the front legs, over the last couple years. Manero actually has some on the bottoms of his feet now, right next to the pads, which can make it "fun" to trim the hair!

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest mirthlesstroll

My Melody was all pink when I adopted her 5 years ago, but her skin is all covered by big black spots now. Her fur hasn't changed color, though.

006LargeWebview-2.jpg

Guest IGmom4now

That's called ticking, and it increases with age. Both my seal/white IGs have lots of pigment now that they didn't have when they were younger.

Guest paulamariez

Someone's been reading my mind lately! I've been wondering the same thing about Domino. He was a pure white with big black spots, cow dog greyhound when we got him about 1 1/2 years ago. Now, we call him spot and dalmation because his pure white is now speckled with dark spots! We never even noticed it until my parents came to visit and mentioned it after not seeing him for a while. Then I brought out his pictures from when we brought him home and he was snow white with just some big black patches. I've wondered why this happened too!

I had been wondering the same thing about Holly. I kept thinking she was getting more spots both on her hair and on her belly. I thought it was just my imagination. I didn't notice it with my other white grey.

Kim, Silver and Holly

Edited by Houndmommy03

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky