Hi, I'm New

Guest IGPoppa

Guest IGPoppa

I am new here and have enjoyed looking at the pictures of all these beautiful Greyhounds. I have 2 Italian Greyhounds and I am thinking of adopting a Greyhound as well so I thought I'd come and ask you good people here about that.

My little ones are a bit high strung but I am used to them now. Gracie is 5 years old and Mimi is 4. Do the larger Greyhounds have a more mellow disposition? My girls are very good with all other animals. Is this a trait of the larger Greyhounds as well? It took me a long time to house train my little girls. Is it easier to train the larger Greyhounds?

Looking forward to your replies and, browsing around.

Thanks,

IGPoppa

Guest LokisMom
I am new here and have enjoyed looking at the pictures of all these beautiful Greyhounds. I have 2 Italian Greyhounds and I am thinking of adopting a Greyhound as well so I thought I'd come and ask you good people here about that.

My little ones are a bit high strung but I am used to them now. Gracie is 5 years old and Mimi is 4. Do the larger Greyhounds have a more mellow disposition? My girls are very good with all other animals. Is this a trait of the larger Greyhounds as well? It took me a long time to house train my little girls. Is it easier to train the larger Greyhounds?

Thanks,

IGPoppa

Welcome!!

I don't known anything about Iggies but the larger greyhounds are very mellow. Mine mostly sleep, pretty much all the time.

I have 3 and have not had any housetraining issues with any of them. Our girl has the occasional accident but it is every few months. It's usually when the weather is bad and she has tricked me into thinking she went while outside but didn't because she wanted to rush back in.

I would say as for as greyhounds being good with other animals, that will depend on the hound. Some are not cat or little dog safe and some are. Since they are trained to chase white fuzzy things, even my cat safe greys are a little iffy with little white fluffy dogs or cats.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Guest KsFrets

Hello from Kansas!

I grew up with dogs and have had many breeds in my life. Greyhounds are the melloest most laid back dogs ever, and we even think Magnus might be a little active for the breed (comparitively). I would go ask our two hounds your questions...but I took them for a walk 4 hours ago, and they are still sleeping :) Some adoption agencies place their dogs in a prison training program before adopting them out...in that case, they come very well behaved with all the hard work already done. Ours came potty trained, with all the basic commands known, and do well with two out of three of our cats (#3 is a hellion that brings it on himself by hissing and running...then hiding). Keep us updated!

Hi, and welcome! :D

There are several people her on Greytalk who have both, and will probably be along with better replies. :)

From my own reading about IGs (thought about them before we got greyhounds), potty training is one of the biggest issues with the little ones. Greys are fairly easy to housetrain, generally. They'll probably seem like a cake-walk after IGs! But there's a big difference in scale, so using peepee pads for greys is .... maybe not such a great idea! ;) Lots of good discussions here about potty training. A couple good references are Adopting the Racing Greyhound for Dummies, and ... uh ... oh, fooey. I forget the name of the other one. Well, someone will remember. :P

Now, the important thing to remember is, we will need pictures of your "kids"!!! :D You can get in real trouble around here if you don't give us pictures to soothe us! :lol

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest IGPoppa

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I also have two cats. Thankfully niether of them is white and fuzzy. Sam is an orange tabby. He's an old man at 18. He rules the house, even me. <_< And Simon is going to be 3 in May. I found him on the side of the road when he was maybe 4 weeks old, eyes barely open. I tried to find him a good home but got stuck with him. He adopted me. :lol:

If I can figure out how to posts pictures I'll show them off.

Anyway, I am going to be looking into adopting later this spring. I think there is a lady in Cooperstown that can help me. I am not too far from there. I spoke to someone in Syracuse last month but, that's kind of far.

I like the fact that these babies are mellow. And they are GORGEOUS!

IGPoppa

Welcome IGPoppa!

We have three greyhounds and one Italian greyhound. They are so different! Our greyhounds are content to sleep for hours on end while Bella (our IG) is much more high energy. As I'm sure you're well aware. :lol

Bella has been very difficult to house train. We have occasional accidents with the greyhounds but, as mentioned above, it's usually when the weather is really bad and they just don't want to outside.

Our four are all great with cats inside. Although, it did take some time with Athena...she thought the cats would be a nice tasty snack. Outside, it's a different story and cats are fair game.

I'm sure your group will be able to find a small animal friendly greyhound. Keep us posted.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Guest KsFrets

I'm glad to hear we're not the only ones ruled by a kittycat! Our suprime leader is an 18 year old famale cat. It's also always heartwarming to hear about people who take in strays! Thanks! :):heart

Guest IGPoppa

PICT0006.jpg

This is Mimi

mimiandgracejwd004.jpg

This is Mimi and Grace

I have to upload better pics onto photobucket but, these are the ones that I have there now.

simonsnow002.jpg

And Simon.

PICT0001-1.jpg

And Sam. He is very vocal.

Cleosmom, Bella was Mimi's mom's name. And yes, my girls are high energy. Sometimes I think they think they can fly!

KsFrets, Magnus and Maggie are beautiful. I already have decided I would like a fawn colored Greyhound. Even my next IG will be fawn but, I do not dare get another IG. Two IG's is all I can handle at the same time. :lol

Greetings from Gainesville, FL! I love your IG pictures. I used to have an IG; she passed away 12 years ago. We loved her so much! We now have a 10 yr old whippet and adopted a GH 3 months ago. By far, our IG was the most active and high strung of the bunch that we've had. She was also the only one who had any type of "watchdog gene" in her (even though she weighed about 10 lbs!) and would actually bark like a madwoman if someone was in our yard or knocked on the door!

Our whippet and GH get along great. I think that our GH thinks that our whippet is a GH, too!

As far as housetraining goes, our GH was MUCH easier to housetrain than either the whippet or the IG.

He came to us straight from a kennel at a track, so he'd never been housetrained per se.

We used the belly wraps for 2 days and after that, he got the hang of where he was and wasn't supposed to go, and that was it. We felt very lucky that it was so easy!

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Hi from Michigan!!! Pop is extremely lazy...he would rather just look at things by us bringing it to him then him getting up, but Zelda has more energy...however, they both snooze more than our cat Mousey. After getting Zelda, we found that each grey has their own evergy level, but overall are very mellow (and our are the hit of our neighborhood)...

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest IGPoppa

I am getting very excited but nervous at the same time. My Gracie is very jealous. I dog-sit for a few people in town when they go away. A golden lab, a black lab and a dalmation. She adjusts but will never leave my side for a second when they are here. The labs are really good but the dalmation has more energy than the IGs and she has OCD when it comes to the cats. She won't chase them she just stares at them, for hours. lol

I never have them all at the same time, thankfully. Also, I didn't mention that my brother has a small farm with alpacas, horses, goats, chickens, pigs and one beef cow. Plenty of room to run there but, from what I'm reading here the Greyhounds would rather sleep than run. Fine by me.

Tomorrow I will make a list of all the things I need to do to prepare for the adoption. I'm sure I'll have more questions but, I'm gonna do it. How could I not? I just have to find that lady in Cooperstown.

Thank you all so much! I'll be back.

IGPoppa

Guest KsFrets

Thanks for the compliments! We sure love them! :) Mimi and Grace are ADORABLE!!! Sam certianly looks like the supreme king of the house!!!

One thing I would look out for when choosing a greyhound is happly tail! Magnus's tail is leathal, and he can swipe a coffie table clean, and it really hurts sometimes when he hit's you with it. Maggie get whamped pretty good every now and then, and always closes her eyes when it starts whipping. I'd be afraid a powerfull happy tail could knock a IG over, or hurt pretty good.

They do LOVE to run. But the best part is that they give it all they have for about a minute, then play around for about 5 minutes, then they sleep the rest of the day for sure! But when they do run, it's a sight to behold! :gh_run2

Edited by KsFrets

Guest brooke

Welcome!!!

We have both. Our IG Toby was a problem to train. From what I have read. The IG platter is late to develop. So it takes longer to train them. They just have problems controlly themselves for long periods. We had problems till we fix ours too. Seems that slowed him down a bit. :rolleyes::lol Our GH's were easy to train. Both were straight from the track. Jack, our male, never has had an accident. Our Female Camaro was a different story. She would get platter infections from time to time. Other then that, she was very good about it.

How big are your IG's? Ours is monster. 20 inches at the shoulder and 22lbs. He looks just like your girls. grey with a little white.

Guest Ohiogreymom
I am getting very excited but nervous at the same time. My Gracie is very jealous. I dog-sit for a few people in town when they go away. A golden lab, a black lab and a dalmation. She adjusts but will never leave my side for a second when they are here. The labs are really good but the dalmation has more energy than the IGs and she has OCD when it comes to the cats. She won't chase them she just stares at them, for hours. lol

I never have them all at the same time, thankfully. Also, I didn't mention that my brother has a small farm with alpacas, horses, goats, chickens, pigs and one beef cow. Plenty of room to run there but, from what I'm reading here the Greyhounds would rather sleep than run. Fine by me.

Tomorrow I will make a list of all the things I need to do to prepare for the adoption. I'm sure I'll have more questions but, I'm gonna do it. How could I not? I just have to find that lady in Cooperstown.

Thank you all so much! I'll be back.

IGPoppa

My crew loves to sleep, but they're ALWAYS up and ready for fun. What I really love about my pups is they're so tuned in to me. If I'm laying around, they're happy to, but if I'm ready to go somewhere, they're all for that too. I would suggest that when you get a grey though, you keep your cats inside the house. Greys see them totally different on the outside, and they can become prey. Good luck! :P

Guest brooke

Thanks,

IGPoppa

hi! i also have an italian greyhound, "toby", and i suggest getting a greyhound. they are MUCH easier to potty train! they are very good dogs--i bought my ital. greyhound after i had my 2 greyhounds and they did well with him despite his small size at 8 weeks. they tolerated everything he did to them! and yes, they are couch potatoes and are pretty mellow.

Guest VanillaBean

Hi IGPOPPA! As you can see, I have 3 IG's and 1 Greyhound!

Let me tell you, The GH is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier to take care of! She eats, sleeps, runs, does her business and sleeps some more. With the IG's it is RUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUNRUN ALLLLLL the time! Vanilla gets along great with them, despite them being crazy!!

Vanilla was esy to house train, IG's really still aren't very well house trained. Sooo, have FUN with your GH. They are Awesome dogs!

PS, your IG's are gorgeous! I had 2 blues, then got the red!

Edited by VanillaBean