New Vet For The Pups

Guest BlackandBrindle

Guest BlackandBrindle

We have an appointment at 3 p.m. tomorrow for Sadie. I believe she has a UTI. I did a urinalysis a couple of weeks ago when I got their heartworm tests done and it came back clean.

Unfortunately, this is a new vet, so DF is going to have to take her. I could have gotten in today, but I'm at work and I'm the only one here, so I can't take off :(

Sadie is peeing little bits of pee in the house and drinking more. She seems hesitant to go potty too.

It's a new vet. I just got faxed the results of her urinalysis from 3/03.

Color: Orange

Clarity: Cloudy

Specific Gravity 1.055

Glucose- Negative

Bilirubin- Negative

Result Verified by repeat analysis

Confirmed by Ictotest

Ketones- Negative

Blood- Trace Negative

PH 6.5

Protein- Negative Negative- trace

WBC 0-2 0-5

RBC 2-5 0-5

Bacteria none seen

Casts OCC Granular (0-1)

Crystals None Seen

Other Lipid Droplets Present

Urobilinogen Normal

I don't know what any of that means, but the vet asked to bring a copy of the results to her appointment tomorrow.

Help, this is the first time I've dealt with a real medical issue in over two years.

How hard do I fight for antibiotics if repeat testing still shows up negative for bacteria/infection.... Would her WBC be higher if she has a uti?

Edited by BlackandBrindle

If she's peeing little bits of pee and seems hesitant, then something is wrong and it is most likely to be an infection.

We've had a whole variety of antibiotics. Some vets will start with cephalexin or amoxicillin. Others go straight to the heavy hitters like Baytril, Zeniquin, etc. Valid arguments for both approaches. Zema had one that didn't completely clear with cephalexin, but usually it does the job and she feels better within 24 hours.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I was just pm'ing you and thought to check this thread first. :blush

Something is definitely 'off' and I suspect a UTI.

Should we get repeat urinalysis done? I have a sterile container that I could get a sample from tomorrow. How long does a sample keep before bringing it to the vet?

Guest Cris_M

Her urine is orange and the specific gravity is a bit up probably because she is raw fed. Just means she isn't taking in as much water and her urine is more concentrated.

The cloudiness can come from increased concentration, solids (in this case probably the lipids or blood noted later in the test) in the urine or WBCs.

Increases in glucose, ketones, and sometimes proteins could indicate diabetes. The trace protein she has is probably from being raw fed but could be from stress or (far stretch) kidney problems. So, the test is telling you she isn't diabetic.

The pH is a bit alkaline because she is raw fed. I also would guess that the lipids are part of being raw fed, BUT I do not know this.

Given her urinalysis and her symptoms, perhaps the vet will prescribe one of the "weaker" antibiotics, like amoxicillin, for her. Lots of times, a UTI shows up in symptoms before it shows in the actual urine.

Good luck with your sweetie. I hope your DF has much success with the new vet.

Your urine must be a "clean catch" and get tested within 2 hours of collection to have accurate results.

Guest BlackandBrindle

What are some questions he should ask?

I need to make a list to send with him... :rolleyes:

Well the two hours is out, because I can't see Roy out there with a cup.... so I'll see if they want to do it at the office.

Guest Cris_M

The question I like best is "What would you do if it were your dog?" It is simple and opens up a repartee where the vet will probably end up teaching you something and being more open to your ideas.

Then, things like "What should I look out for?" "What are danger signs?" "What else can this be?" "How can I make her more comfortable?" are all good.

Also, if they do it at the office, they may catherterize which will provide you with unadulterated urine.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I wrote a letter detailing the symptoms, when they first started to appear, and general medical history.

I also wrote about their diet (what they are fed and supplements)

I've given the name of our previous vet and will send what records I have with Roy.

I sound a little neurotic, but I'm just nervous since it's a new vet and I can't be there. Hopefully we'll get to chat after the appointment.

Oh, gotta call and tell them about their small animal unfriendliness.

Best to redo it since it's been awhile. I have pretty good luck getting samples. Easiest way for the vet to get one is by inserting a needle thru the abdomen into the bladder (as opposed to catheterizing) -- sounds gross but is quick and simple.

I would fight pretty hard for a course of antibiotics, given her symptoms.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest BlackandBrindle
Best to redo it since it's been awhile. I have pretty good luck getting samples. Easiest way for the vet to get one is by inserting a needle thru the abdomen into the bladder (as opposed to catheterizing) -- sounds gross but is quick and simple.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Do most vets do this?

Her reluctance to go potty continues and she's drinking more. I hope he finds something because she's just not right, right now :(

The appointment has been moved up to 1:45 since there will be cats coming in at 3 :blush. That's a good sign though, that the vet's staff listened when I told them that neither is small animal friendly.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Do most vets do this?

Her reluctance to go potty continues and she's drinking more. I hope he finds something because she's just not right, right now :(

The appointment has been moved up to 1:45 since there will be cats coming in at 3 :blush. That's a good sign though, that the vet's staff listened when I told them that neither is small animal friendly.

I agree, I would guess they would want a new urine test. If it's anything like what we do for humans, if the dipstick they run at the vet's office shows a UTI they may send it out for further analysis to see if the bacteria are resistant to specific antibiotics. That's how they decide which course of medication to give. Though patients aren't sent home to wait, they are given a baseline antibiotic. If the results indicate a resistance to that medication we call and switch to something the test shows is non-resistant.

Good luck with the new vet and hugs to Sadie!

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest BlackandBrindle

Feeling aggravated right now because I don't know the whole story BUT....

Roy took her in and she now has antibiotics. She peed before she went in so no sample (although I don't understand why the vet couldn't get one?) so I'm a little irked at Roy.

We can't start the antibiotics until Monday when I can take a sample in. They close in an hour, I don't get off until 5 and they are closed over the weekend.

That's all I know because when I called the vet no one answered (I think I might have been labelled that crazy lady :rolleyes: ) and Roy is on the phone with a customer.

I'm very aggravated, because if I had known this, I would have just taken her in on Monday (but I wanted to get her in to avoid any discomfort over the weekend) on my day off.

Sorry to blow steam off here, I'm just frustrated that she has to feel cruddy for two more days :(

I'd just start the antibiotics.

Heck with Monday, you paid for them anyway.

Give Sadie a kiss for me.

:nod

why do you need to wait? Last time I had Grace in for a urine draw we had "issues". I didn't let her out to pee at 6am like I usually do, so I figured she go outside the vet at 8:30am no problem. NOPE. Vet tried to do a urine draw (ie. big needle) but also had no success, c'on girl....your bladder must be huge by now! They finally did an ultrasound to get a urine sample....which was totally clean (no UTI).

Anyhow....if I suspected a UTI I'd just start the meds now. :dunno

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest BlackandBrindle

Roy's out back trying to get Sadie to pee in a cup. That image gives me a little malicious satisfaction. He obviously does not know my Sadie :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about starting the antibiotics anyway. I have problems rebelling against medical authority though :blush

Guest kaotic1

Yeah if you have the Meds i would use them.... Why would they give you meds then tell you to wait till you bring her back? Will they refund the meds if she doesn't need them? That just feels weird.

Roy's out back trying to get Sadie to pee in a cup. That image gives me a little malicious satisfaction. He obviously does not know my Sadie :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about starting the antibiotics anyway. I have problems rebelling against medical authority though :blush

Did they give you a reason for waiting?

Tell Roy to use a pie pan ;)

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest BlackandBrindle

I think he's just a conservative vet and I'm sure Roy didn't ask him why :rolleyes: Gonna call again and maybe get an answer to that...

ETA:

I think they want to make sure that she has a UTI and that we're giving the right antibiotic.

I also think they could just think I'm crazy and are trying to humor me without doing harm to my dog. :dunno

I'm sure he'll refund any money on the antibiotic if we don't use it. I've only heard good things about him.

Edited by BlackandBrindle

Guest paulamariez

I agree with everyone. I would start the antibiotics anyway. If the test comes back negative, it won't have hurt anything to have taken a couple and if she's got a UTI, she'll be on the road to recovery by Monday, not to mention probably feeling a heck of a lot better!!! Get well doggie kisses to your sweet girl from Tiger, Bueller and Domino.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Ok, as far as probiotics go, when should I give them in regards to when I give the antibiotics.

I just gave Sadie her first one, Baytril. She ate it out of my hand :rolleyes::lol

IIRC, you stop the probiotics (the antibiotics will kill the probiotics too) and then resume when you are done with the course of antibiotics. This is what I do, at least. Don't know if it's one of those right/wrong things....or a matter of opinion....and I'm not saying I'm right either ;)

I hope Miss Sadie-bug is feeling good really soon.

Guest BooMooandDoo

The moose just finished her last dose of Baytril tonight. . . . It's expensive. . .but works.

I'd go ahead and start her on the meds. . . ..

It took 5 days. . .but Mazie was running around like a crazy lady last night. . .so I can vouch that bringing out the big guns (Baytril) will do the job :D

Edited by BooMooandDoo

Baytril works well. :) When D had a UTI the other year, the first round was with cephalexin. He got better, but then in a couple weeks, it was back, and really nasty. The second round was an extended round w/ Baytril and that did the trick.

I hope she's feeling better soon!!

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest Cris_M

Yahoo for Sadie and Baytril!

The Baytril is going to totally wipe out the flora in her gut. If you want to give probiotics, is it best to give them halfway between the doses of Baytril. However, they should always be given at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after the Baytril. Keep in mind that you will be fighting something of a losing battle until she comes off the Baytril. Still might help some with the stomach upset that comes with Baytril, though. Giving Sadie food with the Baytril should help a bit also.

Get better soon, Sweet Sadie.