Question On Toes

Guest GiJenn51

Guest GiJenn51

Trouble keeps dilocating her front toe. I've already brought her in for X-rays and her tendons on the side have gone awry. They said there really isn't anything to be done. :(

Has anyone dealt with this at all? HELP! I'm so sad for her when she's running and then screams from her poor toe.

How many times has she done it? When was the first time, and when the most recent?

You really want to keep it in place -- wrapped if necessary -- and leash walks only for a good 3 weeks minimum. 6 weeks is better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GiJenn51

She did it about 6 weeks ago. And she dislocates it I'd say on average 5 times a week. I'll pay for a surgery if there is one. But alas I think you're right. :(

But but but!!! She LOVES to play! I think I need to buck up and make her slow down. :(

Might PM LynnM and see what she thinks. I've heard of people amputating toes that repeatedly dislocate but if you can get it to heal well once, she might not have any more trouble with it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest myjazzy

For it to heal, you'll have to restrict her to only leash walks for several weeks. But once a toe dislocates several times, it's easy for them to dislocate it again. The surgery removes the toe only up to the joint that dislocates and they usually keep the pad and cover the toe with it again. Greys can go back to racing after the surgery. If she were my dog I would do the surgery, because every time they dislocate the toe, they are in pain.

What about Threa-paw until the toe heals?

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I'm not sure they make a boot. But I would guess that a Thera-paw foot thingie would hold the toe together while it healed. I don't think it would hurt at all. Hell at worst you would be out the money for a pair. :dunno But you never know when they could in handy in the future either, so having a pair on hand isn't necessarily a bad idea either. You know?

I still have to pair we bought for Dancer's dainty girlie feet and the pair for Dylan's clod-hopper feet. :lol :lol

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Oy! Keeping Trouble quieter will be fun! Poor girlie, give her a kiss for me and tell her to behave. :D

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest GiJenn51
I'm not sure they make a boot. But I would guess that a Thera-paw foot thingie would hold the toe together while it healed. I don't think it would hurt at all. Hell at worst you would be out the money for a pair. :dunno But you never know when they could in handy in the future either, so having a pair on hand isn't necessarily a bad idea either. You know?

I still have to pair we bought for Dancer's dainty girlie feet and the pair for Dylan's clod-hopper feet. :lol :lol

Funny enough I have 8 pairs of those things. I'll have to give it a try on her!

Well there you go! :lol :lol :lol

Depending on the toe, it probably should have been wrapped for several weeks after the first incident. Chloe who is/was almost 13 when she did her hind toe ended up tearing the ligament and it wouldn't stay located. We opted for amputation which may seem drastic but it was a hind, outside toe. The surgery cost way too much- Merry Christmas Chloe and she was using the bandaged foot in a few days. At the end of two weeks she walked a mile on it without complaint. We kept a boot on it for the first month or so when walking but since then she hasn't had any problems with her toe. The recovery time was much quicker than trying to fix it and was much less painful.

Kim, (PW's) Nate Dogg and Chloe (TJ Zorabell) - always in our hearts, (Racey) Benson and Polly (Racey Pauline)

allpups.jpg

NaturallyGrey Email List

Guest LynnM

Darn track dog porcelain feet. Once one toe goes, you're in for the long haul. Leash walks for many, many weeks, if not months (at least 3 months, preferably 6). That's not to say the dog can't stay in shape... hiking, swimming and towards the end of the period, even jogging on grass/sand are fine. After that, straight free-running, then free-running in an area big enough to take wide turns, and eventually, if you're feeling daring, turns while chasing a lure.

My old man Joplin spoiled me... ran until he was 10 and perfect feet. He's probably my one in a million dog.

Toes are the bane of the running dog.

Lynn

Yes my soulmate grey Slim had dislocated toes in both his front feet and then the ligaments etc. had- to use the board certified vets terminology -shriveled up. His toes would actually tear open because there was no longer anything holding them together! It was quite a situation. Ultimately my holistic vet helped me to manage the situation. I had to put Tough-Foot on his feet most every day and the biggest thing was Therapaws. He wore Therapaws all the times he was out of the house and that pretty much prevented it from occuring. I don't think theres much else that can be done. Vet told me that when it is one toe that they will often just amputate it but in Slims case it was multiple toes on each foot.