Henry Had A Massive Grand Mal

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest ss556

I'm so sorry about what happened. How terrifying it must have been. The picture of Henry is a very relaxed peaceful one. I hope you are feeling better and I am sending prayers for Henry and hoping he never seizes like that again. Hugs to all of you.

Guest EmilyAnne
isn't he just on KBr - didn't you stop the Pb? If so, I'd personally go back to the combo. He's had too many recently to not do something with his meds.

It's *definately* time for an increase in meds. Wether or not to increase just the potassium bromide or add the pheno, I'm not sure. I didn't like the side effects of the combo, but I sure as heck dont like the seizures!!!!!! Unfortunately it's Friday. The vet is closed for the weekend. She does take emergency calls. I cant decide wether to call her and ask about increasing meds right away and bringing him on on Monday to check all his levels, or wait until his levels are checked before increasing meds.

omg how scary!!!! :( :( :( :(

sending hugs and prayers to Henry and you and your DH!!!

ps. He is very, very handsome ! :wub:

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Here's a picture of Henry resting.

He's such a good boy and I really love him. I couldnt stand it if anything happened to him.

What a sweet photo. We all love him, I think, 'though none of us as much as you do! He's our favorite Coon/GreyHound :blush

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

The side effects of the combo will go away with time, ask Hilda, she saw Saint when he was first started on his meds and he walked like a drunken sailor, he walked into walls and would fall over. It was hard to watch but we had no choice but to put him on both or he would continue to have seizures like Henry and they are more dangerous than the drugs! It took about 3 weeks for the effects to start to subside and now he's just like all the other dogs, he walks straight, runs in the yard and is basically a very happy pup. Like Henry, his seizures are very violent and the lesser of the two evils is the two drug combination.

Give that big boy a hug from us and we're glad that episode is over with. Here's hoping he has no more.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest MrsDooLittle
The side effects of the combo will go away with time, ask Hilda, she saw Saint when he was first started on his meds and he walked like a drunken sailor, he walked into walls and would fall over. It was hard to watch but we had no choice but to put him on both or he would continue to have seizures like Henry and they are more dangerous than the drugs! It took about 3 weeks for the effects to start to subside and now he's just like all the other dogs, he walks straight, runs in the yard and is basically a very happy pup. Like Henry, his seizures are very violent and the lesser of the two evils is the two drug combination.

Give that big boy a hug from us and we're glad that episode is over with. Here's hoping he has no more.

I agree with what Jilly's Mom says here. The little I know about seizures is that they can cause irreparable damage if severe enough. It would be better to love a slightly different and drunken Henry while he's adjusting to the meds than for a seizure to affect him permanently.

My heart goes out to you, and I admire your strength. I've only had the slightest bit of experience with Mr Green Jeans' seizures, and they have been very mild and yet they terrified me to tears. Henry is lucky to have you, because despite being afraid you are still doing everything you can for him.

I will keep Henry in my thoughts and I hope the two of you can rest easy tonight.

Cindy

Guest EmilyAnne

Wow, a lot of replies in a short amount of time. Thank you so much everyone for all your support. His last grand mal was only ten days ago. :( Two very violent seizures in one month is very bad. Here's the thread explaining what triggered the last seizure: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=195270&hl=

I have a lot to think about. While it is likely this seizure was also connected to that fish and his brain is still healing, it's not good for Henry to be so easily triggered into such violent seizures, and it is impossible to avoid all triggers. My brain hurts. Henry has a pheno pill in him for tonight. I am giving a higher dose of Kbr. Tonight I get a good night's sleep (I hope) and then I have some decisions to make. Being raw fed, the combo of both pheno and kbr increases Henry's chances of pancreatitis. All I know, is Henry's seizures are much too violent and must be stopped.

Guest CyndiW

Henry looks so sweet and lovable in that picture. I am so sorry that you are going through this with him. He is very lucky to have a mom that stayed calm and got what he needed even through that very scary situation. Hope the increase in meds helps him to not have anymore of these.

I am just now seeing this.Will say some very special prayers for Henry. I lost my very first GH to a seizure. I know you have 100 things on your mind right now, but would you mind if I just ask what the ice pack does?

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest EmilyAnne
I am just now seeing this.Will say some very special prayers for Henry. I lost my very first GH to a seizure. I know you have 100 things on your mind right now, but would you mind if I just ask what the ice pack does?

Click onto my signature. :)

Oh GOD. That must be so hard to watch. My heart is with you.

Please update when you can.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest EmilyAnne

Henry was an extremely hungry hound tonight. I had given him half a meal after the seizure. (well chopped up) I gave him a slightly larger dinner than usual tonight. I am keeping him on the cool side, and the kids are being very good about being quiet and the lights are very low. He's clingier than usual. He was all day actually, even before the seizure, choosing to sleep at my feet rather than the comfy sofa. I moved his nest bed over to my feet so he'd be comfier, and then he decided to go to the sofa. Figures! :lol

Guest greyvettech

I hope he is ok! You should have his phenobarbital levels checked....I guess he needs an increase!

Good thoughts for you and him....

Guest houndlover

Poor Henry (and you)! I can't imagine watching my dog go through that. I am so glad that Henry is feeling better tonite. I hope that you both get a good nites sleep. Hugs to you both! :grouphug

I hope that he is OK!!! Iam so sorry I am just now reading this, bless both of your hearts! I am very happy to see him resting and for you. :bighug:bighug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter