Pepcid, Zantac Or ?

Guest ss556

Guest ss556

Alan has to take meds twice daily. I was giving him Pepcid xtra once a day (in the a.m. 1/2 hr. before eating). I switched to zantac at the suggestion of one vet. The other said Prilosec. Does anyone have experience with which may have worked better for your greys or any comments on these medicines? Regardless of what I give him, he has tummy rumbles anyway w/ home cooked food. I seem to think the Pepcid may have worked better.

I've always used regular pepcid :) the ingredient in regular pepcid (famatodine, or something like that), is the same medicine my vet gave to Bailey intravenously when she had her pancreatitis.

also wanted to add that the generic brand is much, much cheaper...just look at the ingredient to see that it is famatodine 10mg...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest HeatherDemps

I use regular strength Pepcid AC with my italian greyhound for acid reflux and now also with Dempsey as he is going through chemo. I haven't tried any of the other meds.

I've always used regular pepcid :) the ingredient in regular pepcid (famatodine, or something like that), is the same medicine my vet gave to Bailey intravenously when she had her pancreatitis.

also wanted to add that the generic brand is much, much cheaper...just look at the ingredient to see that it is famatodine 10mg...

Yes, I use the generic, the vet said for us that was fine. :)

Guest houndlover

I find that Pepcid works well for Daisy. I just picked up the generic brand today b/c she has been having tummy troubles. Hope that Alan is feeling better soon!

Guest IrskasMom

I have used both Zantac and Pepcid AC on Morty. Pepcid works better and now I will look for the Generic . I for myself have

PrilosecOTC .

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest MnMDogs

I used to use Pepcid on Matty without much benefit. The vet recently recommended Prilosec when she was prescribed rimadyl - which I never gave her, so never gave her the Prilosec. I know for me, Zantac and Pepcid don't work at all, while Prilosec does. They act differently - histamine blockers vs. proton pump inhibitors. If he's not having any improvement with Zantac and Pepcid, the Prilosec may work.

Good luck

Guest FreddyGirl

Hey Susan,

Bobbi takes extra strength pepcid one hour before meals and the gurgling and flatulence associated with Gastrititis has virtually disappeared. I get the generic brand at COSTCO. It's working like a charm. Hugs and ear scritches to Alan.

Nancy

Edited by FreddyGirl

Guest ss556

Thanks everyone. I went to Costco yesterday and bought the generic of Pepcid. I will give it to him twice a day, the extra strength, which for now, I broke in half and see what happens. I do have Prilosec, so I can always try that down the road. The zantac really didn't seem to help. My poor baby with all his pills everyday!

I think the MAXIMUM dose is 20mg for them for pepcid.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project