Heartworm-medicin ?

Guest IrskasMom

Guest IrskasMom

Morty has not been the last 3 Month on Heartworm Medicin .Do I have to see a Vet to start him up again or just start ???

Does anybody know about that ???

Edited by IrskasMom

Erring on the side of caution would tell you to get him tested, especially if there is a mobile vet or low cost clinic. At the clinic here it is $20. If it has been very cold you would probably be OK. Just depends if you are a gambler or not -- odds are very good that he is fine, but only you can make the call.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Today's heartworm medications such as Interceptor would be okay to give. It's the old Filaribits that you had to be careful about. You should, however, have the heartworm test performed regardless. We are seeing more and more positive results and that has been attributed to countrywide adoptions mostly from survivors of Hurricane Katrina.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

He will need another bloodtest before starting back on heartworm medication. If he has heartworm then taking the medication would be bad so that's why they need to determine if he has hearworm with a blood test after being off the medication for so long.

A lot of people do stop it for a few months in the winter since it gets cold here. If so, it's generally recommended to get a test before re-starting, every spring.

I give mine year-round, it's just easier to stay on the schedule that way. I also usually order my HW medicine for 6 mo or a year supply at a time.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest greyvettech

If he has been off of hw prevention for three months, and he did get infected with heartworms, it will not show up on the hw snap test yet- A positive result typically shows up 6 months after infection occurs-We usually suggest, if you've missed less than 4 months, to go ahead and give him Ivermectin .10cc/per/10 pounds-(Your vet can do this) Ivermectin will "back up" the months missed of hw prevention-because chances are if it's only been three months off, he def does not have microfilaria(baby heartworms in his blood sample)So, this will not hurt him-Then in a month, start him back on heartworm prevention tablets such as Interceptor, etc..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest OnOurFourth

I am curious, if folks are giving heartworm preventative medication to their dogs year round, then is it necessary to get the hounds tested once per year regardless?

I have always let my dogs (Greyhounds and German Shepherds) go without medication during the winter months, and test them in the spring before starting up again. We have finally decided to just continue the medication year round, but am guessing that it's still not a 100% thing, that the dogs could still get heartworm regardless and so should still be tested annually?

Thoughts on this?

Thank you,

Tracy

Guest lotsagreys4me

My dogs are on heartgard year round and I don't retest them yearly. But I live in an area that rarely if ever sees heartworms in dogs. I might discuss this with my vet tomorrow..............thanks