Advice, Please?

My sweet girl has been in pain, on and off again, for over a month now (background

hereand here). It's getting worse, and I'm not sure what to do anymore. Here's what we've tried:

1) Rhymadil and steroid shots - The first round worked for a week or so. Second round didn't work at all.

2) Lots of rest and leash walks, in case it was a muscle injury that needed to heal

3) X-Rays - Absolutely clear and perfect. No indications of cancer, no problems with her joints, no signs of a slipped disc. We had a second vet look at them as well to make sure the first hadn't missed anything.

4) Visited a "holistic" vet recommended by my regular vet. She waved her hands over Diamond, apparently "cleansed her ions," and gave me some supplements to give her (Traumeel, Ligaplex and Cardio-plus). I'm very skeptical of the whole thing and since visiting her, Diamond has gotten worse, not better.

The occasional yelps have turned into much more regular screams, and it's just killing me to see her in so much pain. She depends on me to take care of her, and I have NO answers - no idea what's causing it and no idea how to help her. It's heartbreaking.

The holistic vet said she'd expected to do acupuncture but that Diamond wasn't "asking" for it. Should I find another vet who will do acupuncture/chiropractics? Should I see another "regular" vet? What would you do?

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Geez... sorry to hear that D is still having trouble. :( Is she limping at all or are the GSOD just movement-related? Is there a vet school in OK that could work her up, like the OSU program? If not, I'd certainly give accupuncture/chiro a try. Sending more prayers as well... :hope

Edited by iluvgreys

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Geez... sorry to hear that D is still having trouble. :( Is she limping at all or are the GSOD just movement-related? Is there a vet school in OK that could work her up, like the OSU program? If not, I'd certainly give accupuncture/chiro a try. Sending more prayers as well... :hope

No, no limp at all. Most of the time, the screams are when she's laying down and trying to either stand up or roll over/shift positions. We also hear them sometimes if Gabe happens to bump into her when they're walking next to each other, although she'll let us touch her all over and usually doesn't show any pain there. Sometimes she'll let us/the vet move her head through the full range of motion and sometimes she won't, which is what initially lead us to believe it's her neck.

Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I have had no experience with a holistic vet, but have had experience using acupuncture(vet wasn't holistic) I would wonder about this vet saying your girl didn't ask for acupuncture? What does that mean? Is she an animal communicator? Is she saying that as a result of a physical exam? I just find that a bit odd

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

No idea what "cleansing the ions" is (and I thought I was a tree-hugger!) but how about visiting a real holistic vet, one that does acupuncture? I'm sorry but that lady sounds like a nutjob. Or a doggie chiropractor? I've not used either myself but I've heard of great results from friends whose dogs got only marginal results with traditional treatments.

I have had no experience with a holistic vet, but have had experience using acupuncture(vet wasn't holistic) I would wonder about this vet saying your girl didn't ask for acupuncture? What does that mean? Is she an animal communicator? Is she saying that as a result of a physical exam? I just find that a bit odd

Apparently she's an animal communicator, too. She "asked" Diamond when she needed to come back. (Supposedly Diamond said six days, which would be tomorrow).

I would've completely dismissed her as a nutjob had she not been recommended by a vet I trust. She's also a DVM, so I expected some degree of rationality. :rolleyes:

I don't know that I would call her a "nutjob" but after re-reading your post, I would guess the neck. Did she reommend Traumeel in gel form? I am a big fan of traumeel and use the gel and have had good success with it.If you do already have the gel, try massaging her neck with it.See what your regular vet has to say about the visit(to the holistic vet) If she sometimes doesn't have full range of motion like you said in her neck, start there and see if it helps. I wish you luck.It's so difficult to pinpoint pain with these dogs.They're sometimes too stoic. But something is obviously hurting her.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

If your pup were mine, next step would be an MRI. If she has a disc issue, for example, you probably won't see that on an x-ray.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Our senior grey had a degenerating disk in her neck when she had x-rays for the same sort of pain you describe. It was the fourth disk in her neck and was pressing on the nerve running down her spine causing pain. It got to the point where she could no longer chew on rawhides for extended periods because it hurt her too much afterwards.

A second set of x-rays a couple of years later which were done further down her spine showed some calcification points on another disk in the middle of her back which were like razors to her. When we found this specific disk problem, it was because we took her into the e-vet for a run in injury when she was running with our other grey in the yard. The e-vet "did not" see this additional disk issue! It was picked up by our regular vet the next day on her follow up to the e-vet visit. He palpated her, found where she flinched the most and went back and really studied the x-rays hard. He said it was really difficult to make out the calcifications, but it was certainly the cause for her pain.

We managed her pains in her last years by limited activity, joint supplements and the occassional pain med when she tried to kick up her heels from time to time and just overdid it a bit. We could never ever convince our girlie she was getting older and should slow down!

Long story short, you might want to have the x-rays looked over again really well. Not saying this is the cause, but just relaying added info on how one vet missed a diagnosis where the other caught it after looking a bit harder.

Hope you find out what is causing the pain and that your baby girl feels better soon.

Edited to add - We also took our girlie for accupuncture treatments and they worked wonders for her. The treatment the vet used was needles and current through about half of them, followed by vitamin shots in strategic places between her toes and in her back knees as she was also showing signs of arthritis in one rear knee. I came home with a much more relaxed dog after treatments and swear by them! She started with one treatment a week and went to two a month and then monthly. She was also put on Corydales which is supposed to help with swelling and circulation in a natural way. I believe it's an herb but could be wrong on that.

My sweet girl has been in pain, on and off again, for over a month now (background

hereand here). It's getting worse, and I'm not sure what to do anymore. Here's what we've tried:

1) Rhymadil and steroid shots - The first round worked for a week or so. Second round didn't work at all.

2) Lots of rest and leash walks, in case it was a muscle injury that needed to heal

3) X-Rays - Absolutely clear and perfect. No indications of cancer, no problems with her joints, no signs of a slipped disc. We had a second vet look at them as well to make sure the first hadn't missed anything.

4) Visited a "holistic" vet recommended by my regular vet. She waved her hands over Diamond, apparently "cleansed her ions," and gave me some supplements to give her (Traumeel, Ligaplex and Cardio-plus). I'm very skeptical of the whole thing and since visiting her, Diamond has gotten worse, not better.

The occasional yelps have turned into much more regular screams, and it's just killing me to see her in so much pain. She depends on me to take care of her, and I have NO answers - no idea what's causing it and no idea how to help her. It's heartbreaking.

The holistic vet said she'd expected to do acupuncture but that Diamond wasn't "asking" for it. Should I find another vet who will do acupuncture/chiropractics? Should I see another "regular" vet? What would you do?

Edited by gryhnd_adoptee

We did the holistic approach with Teddy and I think it worked. He has some disc issues. I would go to holistic vet who practices acupuncture / chiropractic and set him up to see someone who can help.

This must be unbelievably frustrating for you.

Hugs.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest longdogs

It really sounds as though there is a physical problem somewhere and they can be really hard to pin down. A disc injury is definitely a possibility but unfortunately not the only one. I would go back to your vet and discuss the options. Stronger pain-killers definitely seem like a good idea as well as anti-inflammatories. It may take a while to get to the bottom of the problem, meanwhile it should still be possible to ease the pain.