Shelby's Cramp Is Now A Huge Bruise

Guest ShelbysMom

Guest ShelbysMom

I've left her alone for a bit so she could try and relax. I just checked, and the bulging area is now PURPLE.

What do I do????

I am not sure what to do, SORRY!!!!! But hugs to both of you, I hope she feels better real soon. :bighug:bighug:bighug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest houndlover

Could she have bumped it on something and it is swollen and now bruising? My older boy bruises very easily and his whole leg will turn purple if he runs into something. I don't usually do anything for the bruising b/c that goes away over time. I would just keep an eye on it for now and see how it is in the morning.

Guest ShelbysMom

I've put some ice on it to see if that helps the swelling that I once thought was a cramp. Obviously it isn't a cramp.

She went outside after dinner. I had to wash her feet when she came in as it has been raining, and the yard is a bit mucky. She only had mud on her feet - no where else, so it didn't appear she fell. Besides, she was fine when she came in.

Then she layed down in her bed. About an hour or so later, she got up but wouldn't take a single step. I went to her and found that her inner thigh was balled up in a knot. Sort of like a cramp.

The bruising just came up in the last 30 minutes or so, and it's been about 2 hours since I first noticed the lump.

I am in no way an expert but it sounds like a muscle injury with the subsequent hemorrage or hematoma which is to be expected. For the most part not serious although they can look very worrisome.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I would also guess a muscle injury and bleeding, and would see a Vet if it's not a lot better tomorrow.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Well, since I am one nervous lady, I would take her to an emergency Vet tonight, if at all possible.

I wouldn't be able to sleep a wink, anyhow.

Then you can get a proper diagnosis and maybe a pain killer if she needs it.

Edited by Patclara

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Sounds like she tore her hind end muscle. Not much a vet can do for it if that is in fact what it is

My older gal Brookie (11 1/2) went out side a few months ago, ran in her normal way to go on her Poop and run and came in slightly favoring her hind end. Next day there was bruising in her back right hind muscle.

Brookie did favor it a bit when getting up on the bed or couch, sometimes with a slight whimper but other than that totally normal.

Not much you can do or should do.

If she seems to really be favoring it or she seems in pain then I would suggest heading to the vet for some pain meds to just hold her over until the pain lessens

Guest mandm

I don't know how things work in your neck of the woods, but in my area, we can call Animal Emergency and talk to a vet, describe the situation to them, and they will advise whether or not to bring the animal in right away or wait until your regular vet opens. No charge. I'm in the Midwest and realize it might not work that way in the East. But that's what I would do.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Does it look something like this? I googled "dropped gracilis muscle in greyhound" (basically a tear to the muscle of the inner thigh) this was a pic that came up...

oldhall016.jpg

Edited by FullMetalFrank

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

I was thinking dropped muscle too. Doug did this quite a few years ago in the back yard. We just iced, some range of motion and rest.

Sounds very much like a dropped muscle to me. Very common in racing greyhounds and I guess in unfit greyhounds who turn badly while running.

Renie retired with one, plus the associated carpal ligament injury which so often goes along with it. The wrist was a far more serious issue than the dropped muscle though there was nothing to see. She still favours the wrist occasionally, years later, but the dropped muscle is merely a cosmetic change for her. The muscle will heal in the 'dropped' position, so there will always be a bulge on that side, which you may be able to feel as a lump in the tissue.

Ice is good for injured muscles, but be sure to wrap it in a towel to avoid skin burns. ;)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest ShelbysMom
Does it look something like this? I googled "dropped gracilis muscle in greyhound" (basically a tear to the muscle of the inner thigh) this was a pic that came up...

oldhall016.jpg

It most definitely looks like the bruising in this picture. I did switch to ice last night, and that seemed to help the swelling a bit. Plus I was finally able to get Shelby up and moving enough to go pottie outside and get her up the stairs to bed.

She is moving very slow today, but does seem a little bit better. I will ice her again in a little while.

My main concern now is that we are planning a road trip that will begin in one week. I'm not sure if she will be able to jump in and out of the SUV. I'll need to line up alternative care for her just in case we have to leave her home :( . I really don't want to do that, but we may have no other choice in the matter as I don't want her to hurt herself more.

Guest ShelbysMom

Interesting idea....

I will need to figure out how to pack a step into the vehicle along with all of our other stuff, but it could work.

I am glad to hear that she is doing better. :grouphug Can you lift her in and out of the SUV?

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest houndlover

I am not comfortable completely lifting a grey into my SUV either but when I have a foster that has no idea how to get in I will physically place both front feet on the tailgate and then lift their hind end in so that they don't have to jump. Could one of you hold her with the leash so that she doesn't try to jump in on her own and then try putting her front feet and lifting her hind end or do you think she would freak out?

Guest FullMetalFrank

They make a step that is fairly small and slides into the hitch reciever on your vehicle, I think it is called the Otto-step. It looked like something that would taake up very little room to pack along. Just a thought! I hope your pup is feeling better; the description of the dropped muscle and the pic just looks so awfully painful (although it does sound pretty common and something that heals pretty readily.)

Poopr little poopsie. How is she doing this evening? Are you going to take her to the vet tomorrow?

Geez louise, I meant to type, "Poor little poopsie" not poopr. Oye.

How's your little patient doing?

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014