Help! Merlin Just Ripped His Nail Out!

I took Merlin to the ballpark and as he was running I suddenly noticed a stumble and then lots of blood. I took him home right away and it looks as if he's ripped a whole nail out of his back paw. I am trying to stop the bleeding with styptic powder... what else should I do? I can't call the vet until tomorrow morning. I could call the e-vet but I really don't like them, their bedside manner last time was awful.

Please, does anyone have any advice as to what I can do tonight?? he doesn't seem to be in any pain.

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest goddessgina

I did a google search and this is what I got.

You have a couple of options.

If the nail is bleeding, put syptic powder on it. If you don't have that, cornstarch works very well.

If the nail is not bleeding, but you are concerned that it is sensitive or may bleed again or become infected, you can clean it with alcohol, let it dry well, then put a layer or two of super-glue on it. I know it sounds weird, but it works well. I have used it on myself, and lived to tell about it ;) The glue will dry and harden and keep the claw from bleeding again. It will also help keep dirt and debris out of the bloodstream and will help keep infetio at bay.

Once the glue is dry, you can put a bootie on the foot or wrap it in gauze if you are concerned about sensitivity. It may take about a week for enough of the nail to grow back to provide its on protection.

Edited by goddessgina

Oh poor baby. Keep us posted. Our Angel Truffles did that once and we could not stop the bleeding and had to go into ER. Hope Merlin heals quickly. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Carolina did the same thing last month. We couldn't get the bleeding to stop so we had to take her to the vet.

Do anything you can get it to stop bleeding, if not you have no choice but to visit the e-vet.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

I'm trying!... just spent the last 40 minutes cleaning it thoroughly and putting styptic powder on it... The bleeding seems to be stopping, but I'm going to keep an eye on it, as it might start again. At least he's not in pain, or bothering it. Just in case, I'm printing out directions to the e-vet. Thanks.... it's so typical that this should happen as we're expecting the next storm to come in, and it's just me here tonight... :(:ohno

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Mommydog

Provided you can stop the bleeding it should be OK until morning, they do bleed like crazy though. I've used a kid's white sock to cover foot injuries before, they say use white then there isn't any chance of dye coming out of it and getting into the wound, you can fasten it round with surgical tape. Poor Merlin, I hope he heals up quickly.

My poor Norm has done this twice. The 2nd time the nail was still hanging by a thread. Honestly-both time we went to the e-vet. There was just SO much blood! He came home the first time, the 2nd he spent the night because once the doc took the nail off he couldnt stop the bleeding. He got anti-b's both times and is already on Deramaxx daily so he didnt get any pain meds. The biggest issue was stopping the bleeding. I tried my hardest at home with the powder and it just didnt work. I wish I had more advice for you. Good luck!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Guest lotsagreys4me

I think you will be okay to wait until you can see your vet in the morning. I would wrap the paw and keep him calm. I am sure the vet will give you antibiotics so it doesn't get infected. Poor guy. good luck

We will be praying for Merlin and you. So sorry this happened and I am sorry I have no advise, only :bighug:bighug:bighug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Thanks everyone... Looks like it's definitely stopped bleeding. Phew!... so I guess I will wait until tomorrow morning and call the vet as soon as she opens... UNLESS it starts bleeding again when I take him down for his last pee. If it starts again I think I might have to take him in tonight or I will worry myself silly. I've printed out the directions so at least I can leave at the drop of a hat if I need to... Boy, I just wish we didn't live on the third floor! :(

As I'm typing this he's fast asleep on the couch next to me.

Thanks for your advice and kind thoughts everybody...

Guest kbone

Minerva has a nail that rips out everytime it grows back. First time it happened I freaked out and brought her to the vet. It cost me $200 bucks to have them wrap it, as soon as we got home she ripped the vet wrap off. I don't take her to the vet anymore for this!

I've never taken one of mine to the Evet for a ripped out toenail. It's not life-threatening and I don't generally have $500 that I feel like blowing. Yes, they bleed like the dickens but unless your dog has a clotting disorder it'll keep until tomorrow. And by tomorrow you may even decide just to keep it clean, watch for infection and skip the vet altogether. :)

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest greydogluvr

I have had several nail incidents. Each time they grow back and do not appear to bother them. I did not take them to the vet after the firts time, I just kept them clean. The best cover is gauze and vet wrap. It is expandable and durable.

Guest nerak254

If the nail is bleeding, put syptic powder on it. If you don't have that, cornstarch works very well.

If the nail is not bleeding, but you are concerned that it is sensitive or may bleed again or become infected, you can clean it with alcohol, let it dry well, then put a layer or two of super-glue on it. I know it sounds weird, but it works well. I have used it on myself, and lived to tell about it ;) The glue will dry and harden and keep the claw from bleeding again. It will also help keep dirt and debris out of the bloodstream and will help keep infetio at bay.

Once the glue is dry, you can put a bootie on the foot or wrap it in gauze if you are concerned about sensitivity. It may take about a week for enough of the nail to grow back to provide its on protection.

At Christmas dinner I asked my daughter about stuff like this and she said super glue too! She's a Dr but I still thought it was nuts..maybe not.

Guest EmilyAnne

Our late Alfalfa ripped an entire claw out too. The entire claw. I didn't think it was going to grow back, but apparently the root system or whatever was still there to grow a new nail. There was huge amounts of blood. The vet told us to wrap it well and keep it clean. I think he said use neosporin too, I cant remember.

At Christmas dinner I asked my daughter about stuff like this and she said super glue too! She's a Dr but I still thought it was nuts..maybe not.

I think this is if the nail was cut too short, not if the entire nail was ripped out.

Oh, and I forgot to say, we never did take Alfalfa into the vet, we just called them. There's really nothing more they can do that you can't do, unless it becomes infected.

Guest greybookends

Ginny did this a while back. I cleaned it and wrapped it and took her to the vet the next day. They finished removing the nail as it was just hanging there and it has never grown back.

Guest ArtysPeople

Oh, no! I just read this this morning, so I'm sure you got to the vet and all by now, but I hope everything's OK. In the future, if something like this should happen and you're home alone and need supplies or anything, please don't hesitate to call us. I know we're a ways away, but you'd be surprised how fast we can make that trip down 95 if needed!

Best wishes for Merlin. :getwell

PS: Where did you get styptic powder? I've never even heard of it, and it sounds like something we should have on hand!

Edited by ArtysPeople

Guest greybookends
Oh, no! I just read this this morning, so I'm sure you got to the vet and all by now, but I hope everything's OK. In the future, if something like this should happen and you're home alone and need supplies or anything, please don't hesitate to call us. I know we're a ways away, but you'd be surprised how fast we can make that trip down 95 if needed!

Best wishes for Merlin. :getwell

PS: Where did you get styptic powder? I've never even heard of it, and it sounds like something we should have on hand!

You should be able to get styptic powder at any pet store. It is usually in the same area as all nail clipping supplies.

Christie - thanks so much for your kind offer - I'm touched. Definitely add styptic powder to your doggie first aid kit - it's amazing stuff to have around, especially with greys on account of their thin skin. I always bring it to all our playdates, just in case. In fact, being paranoid and neurotic I actually bring a mini first aid kit to all our events :)

Well, Merlin seems to be doing well this morning. I called the vet and I am waiting to hear back to see if I need to go in this morning, I spoke to one of the vet techs and the vet is going to call me back. The night passed without incident, Merlin didn't even try to lick it or anything. This morning before our walk I decided to have another go at cleaning off the dry blood (I cleaned it the best I could last night, but it's hard to see as well in artificial light). I cut off a small pieces of fur that had dry blood stuck to it, cleaned off nearly all the dry blood, wrapped a gauze pad around it, and then self-adhesive gauze (the clingy stuff, which doesn't require tape) and then I put one of those disposable gloves on, so that the foot wouldn't get dirty on our walk. I was really pleased with the result! Merlin was fine, he limped a couple of times and then started bearing weight on it and soon he was trotting along happily! I'm glad I put that disposable glove on too, since he decided to step in his own poo :rolleyes:

The paw doesn't look at all infected, so I am hoping I won't have to go to the vet for antibiotics... I could do without the extra expense right now. I'm not being cheap, if the vet suggests going in and putting him on anti-biotics to be on the safe side I will jump in the car right away, but it really looks fine and we have so many expenses coming up :( Oh well, you do what you have to do. Some days I wish I were a vet tech so I would always know what to do. Luckily I have GT which is the second best thing! :D Thanks again, everyone, for the advice!! I was freaking out a bit last night... :wubsite

Guest ArtysPeople
Merlin was fine, he limped a couple of times and then started bearing weight on it and soon he was trotting along happily! I'm glad I put that disposable glove on too, since he decided to step in his own poo :rolleyes:

Ew! But seriously, glad things are better this morning, and that you've improvised a good boot for him. :thumbs-up

Do you think you'll still want to do the meet-up tomorrow? We're planning to wait and see what the weather and ground look like in the morning before we head out.

Christie - I PM'd you. :)

Edited by merlinsmum

Sounds like you've got the situation under control, but wanted to say that I deal with missing and/or broken toenails fairly often with Pinky. Her nails are very brittle and they break easily if I miss trimming them one week. If she comes in from outside bleeding she gets corralled on the sun porch while I run inside to get my med supplies. I use a 1x1 gauze pad and place it over the nail, then I wrap the foot with Kling (gauzy material comes in a roll) and then I wrap the foot with vet wrap, secure with a piece of tape if needed. I leave it for a couple of days and then remove the bandage to check it.

All of her nails have grown back at some point, though her dew claws are a little more stubby looking than they used to be.

Skimmie somehow lost a toenail one day out in the yard about 6 months ago and it has never grown back, I guess it pulled the follicle. One less nail to trim! :)

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--