Arthritis Care

Guest greytpets

Guest greytpets

My older boys (7 + 8) have been showing signs that theyre getting older, slower to get up etc

Goofy developed a limp last Thursday (5 days ago) on his LH leg with a bit of swelling that didnt go away after 5 days so off we went to see the vet, I opted for rads straight away (you guys were freaking me out with the osteo talk) and it showed hes got quite a bit of crepidis (sp?) the crunchy bit that makes a joint uncomfortable. So hes on a weeks worth of carprofen (he used to get lame once in a while and a short treatment generally helps) so thats helped and he seems a lot more comfortable.

The arthritis is obviously an age thing thats ongoing. Just wondering what you guys do with your arthritic hounds?

Hes got a nice bed, fish oil tabs, Ive just bought a magnetic insert for his bed and we're going to try swimming in a hydrotherapy pool on the wkend. ;)

:blush

http://www.greyhoundgang.org/store/index.php/cat_5

Claudia has some wonderful supplements. Minimumly, they should be on glucosomine. Make sure if you buy it somewhere else you are getting enough in each dose. Many times it is included in a supplement but is not enough for daily dosage. I'm sure you will get many others chiming in on what they are using.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest sknydog

I just started my wolfhound on adequan yesterday so hoping to see some results with that. He has been on DGP - Dog Gone Pain - which is wonderful but wanted to try something cheaper and that wasn't daily. I'll go back to DGP if the adequan doesn't give him relief.

Guest greytpets

^ a new vet at work has just started learning acupuncture and after speaking today shes going to use Goofy for practice so thats great and free! :)

Anybody know the dosage for glucosamine tabs? i was looking at the chemist today and theyre all different and about $45 for 60 tabs, maybe ill try a online wholesaler, thanks for the site RobinM

i have used the supplements Fresh Factors and Joint Health from Springtime for years for my puppers and that seems to keep them from being creaky and sore. link

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I've been trying to help my old girl Sebau (13) be comfortable. We do the fish oil, glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM. I also added nice soft pillows (human pillows) to the dog beds to make them extra floofy and comfy. She really seems to like that!

Most of the time she gets around pretty well, but there are some days where you can tell she's really stiff and sore. :( On those days I give her one of my tramadol. We've tried Deramaxx (did ok with her stomach, but didn't seem to help her feel any better) and rimadyl, and her stomach can't tolerate the rimadyl. The tramadol really makes her feel better, it's amazing how much she perks up.

We are replacing our carpeting with hardwood (bamboo) including the steps, but we are buying a runner for the steps so that the pups can have traction.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

So much you can do to prevent, and in some cases reverse arthritis at Greyhound Gang.

Joint Supplement Info

Q&A about using joint supplements

Testimonials about joint supplements

They are not expensive, and they help. The products Greyhound Gang offers - Get Up & Go - the proceeds help hounds find forever homes, too.

A really win-win situation.

Make sure:

1. You're giving 1500 mg a day of each product - Glucosamine, MSM, Chondroitin

2. High quality product that is tested

3. Acupuncture is excellent

4. Adequan can help in some instances, but it is expensive. If you start glucosamine etc early enough, it will do basically the same thing

5. Good weight, moderate daily exercise

6. Runners on all slick floors

Greyhound Gang has a booklet - When I Am Older - that details all this info and more. It's free with a Get Up & Go 4-pack, or only $2 otherwise.

Happy to answer any questions.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest crazy4greys

I brought Autumn to get chiropractic adjustments and acupuncture. I then also started her with water therapy on the doggie tread mill. It did help, but she ended up having Osteo in the end about 6 months after the arthritis diagnosis.

She was also on Previcox which helped with the pain tremendously. It is for Osteoarthritis. Ask your vet about it.

i have used the supplements Fresh Factors and Joint Health from Springtime for years for my puppers and that seems to keep them from being creaky and sore. link

All my greys are currently on those same products.

^ a new vet at work has just started learning acupuncture and after speaking today shes going to use Goofy for practice so thats great and free! :)

Anybody know the dosage for glucosamine tabs? i was looking at the chemist today and theyre all different and about $45 for 60 tabs, maybe ill try a online wholesaler, thanks for the site RobinM

wow, that's so cool about the acupuncture!!!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest greytpets

wow thanks for the great response guys! :)

Greytlady94 thanks for the link! ill go check it out now *EDIT* damn they dont ship overseas... thanks anyway ;)

lothianjavert yeh they do love their comfy beds (theyres are much nicer than my own :P) Glad to hear the tramadol works for you :)

greyhound gang a shameless plug, love it :) someone above also posted this link, i think its def the best place ive found yet!

We're giving the acupuncture a go soon. Hes only going for 10-15min walks every second day til we see the vet again on Tuesday, she wanted restricted exercsie but thats as good as i can do since hes used to 30min-1hr walks everyday..

And we have carpet and vinyl 1 storey house so no slippery floors here ;)

Thanks for all the info!

crazy4greys so sorry to hear about Autumn :(, we're going to give both acupuncture and hydrotherapy a go (even though we dont really know how to swim :))

grey14me tis very cool! :) hopefully we'll start it soon

THANKS EVERYBODY! :) :)

Thanks for all the links def check em out