Hi From Queens!

Guest Javagirl

Guest Javagirl

Good Morning Everyone!

Hello from New York. I am so excited to have joined GT and would like to introduce my grey, Ladd, and myself. Ladd (M's Lively Ladd) is a goofy three and a half year old brindle boy who raced in MA. He was a very good racer and was retired last July. I'm so happy to have a frequented forum where I can let out my inner grey geek and hang out with you all.

I've been wanting to adopt a grey for 8 years and have finally found myself out of grad school poverty and in a place where I could make it all happen. If anyone out there is in the Queens/Flushing/Forest Hills area and would like to meet up at Flushing Meadows we'd be happy to come and play. ;) Once the weather gets better we'd even love a play day in Central Park. Also, if your grey's racing name started with "M's" something or "Marion's" something, it's a good chance our greys are related.

I'd also like to give a shout out to the Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation org in Westchester, New York. They are a bunch of wonderful, caring and competent greyhound heroes.

Nice to meet you all,

Kristyn and Ladd

th_ladd_bow.jpg

Hello and welcome from California! Ladd is adorable!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

:welcome2 Greetings to Kristyn and Ladd. What a handsome brindle boy he is. From Mimi with Sterling and Kelsey in Staten Island

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Welcome from LI!

Maybe you can help out at meet & greets on LI??? 4th Saturday a month? Also, please add your contact info to Long Island search & Rescue.

It's a volunteer based group of greyound lovers who will help out if God forbid a dog gets out.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/greyhou...rchandrescueLI/

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Greyhoundbaby

:welcome

And welcome to the wonderful world of being owned by a greyhound. Interesting - I never thought of myself as a geek but greyhound geek truly describes me! :lol

Good Morning Everyone!

Hello from New York. I am so excited to have joined GT and would like to introduce my grey, Ladd, and myself. Ladd (M's Lively Ladd) is a goofy three and a half year old brindle boy who raced in MA. He was a very good racer and was retired last July. I'm so happy to have a frequented forum where I can let out my inner grey geek and hang out with you all.

I've been wanting to adopt a grey for 8 years and have finally found myself out of grad school poverty and in a place where I could make it all happen. If anyone out there is in the Queens/Flushing/Forest Hills area and would like to meet up at Flushing Meadows we'd be happy to come and play. ;) Once the weather gets better we'd even love a play day in Central Park. Also, if your grey's racing name started with "M's" something or "Marion's" something, it's a good chance our greys are related.

I'd also like to give a shout out to the Greyhound Rescue and Rehabilitation org in Westchester, New York. They are a bunch of wonderful, caring and competent greyhound heroes.

Nice to meet you all,

Kristyn and Ladd

th_ladd_bow.jpg

Welcome from New Hampshire, I have a grey who may be related, his racing name was M's Mad Max, he raced in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire and he retired in 2004. Congratulations on the beginning of being owned by a greyhound!!!! :colgate

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest Javagirl

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. I'm going to take advantage of your noticing us because I really need help some help. We've had Ladd for about 2 weeks. He is usually thrilled to be outside, loves walking and is pretty good on a leash with minor training to be done all things considered. My bf and I have enjoyed hour long walks with him around the neighborhood.

In the past 2 days, he has refused to walk. He is excited to go outside, definitely HAS to go, and runs outside with his tail up. He'll have a quick pee but then stops dead in his tracks. His tail is up and I encourage him to keep going but he won't move forward and won't move back. The snow's all melted now and its rather warm (and he has his winter jacket on) so I don't think he's cold or uncomfortable, but something is going on with him and it's frustrating. Of course it kills us to pull him and most of the time I end up walking behind him bumping his hips forward gently. What can we do to restore his confidence in his own neighborhood?

Thanks!

Kristyn, Kerwin and Ladd

PS - apologies for double posting, you may see this in the behavioral category as well.

Normal!

We still go through this with Chloe and sometimes Teddy. Someone on GT told me about this and I don't know why it works, but it does.

BTW- it's called statuing.

When he stops, make sure he is not tangled etc. Once you know all is OK. Face forward. Do not look at him when he stops. Look ahead. Count to 20 slowly. Then say (without looking at him) "OK, Let's go".And go. Sometimes you have to do this several times on a walk, and sometimes you don't need to get to 20, sometimes 10 and sometimes 30, but for us, it has worked.

Good luck.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest Javagirl
Welcome from New Hampshire, I have a grey who may be related, his racing name was M's Mad Max, he raced in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire and he retired in 2004. Congratulations on the beginning of being owned by a greyhound!!!! :colgate

Wow, just like that we're finding family. Lovely! I think I remember seeing Mad Max on Litter Mates.com somewhere - the name stands out! I'm so glad he found his forever family. Ever go to Dewey Beach? We're planning on it.

You guys are fantastic! We're getting so much help from here during this early adoption period. Couldn't do it without you. Robin! You're wonderful. Message forwarded to to the other half who is home trying to convince the doggie to have a pee. Thanks.

And thank you for all the compliments, we definitely think he is handsome. Those fish oil tablets do wonders.

Kristyn and Ladd

PS We would love to meet up with the LI group.

Kristyn and Ladd

PS We would love to meet up with the LI group.

rlm410@optonline.net

Send me your email!

Hi Kristen,

I'm up in Dutchess County right around the corner from Celticfairiesmom.

Ladd is hunting. His mother told him to freeze and use his eyes to find something moving then go get it with a burst of speed. They all do it. When he figures out that there is very little prey around Forest Hills he will cut it out after a few seconds.

He might react if you chirp or squeek at him. If you can break his concentration he probably will move.

Paul with Bill & Elmo & angel Happy

in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY

Welcome! Turns out part of your dog's career was at Raynham while my dog was also there. I checked; his four races there they didn't meet up and then he was moved to Wonderland.

Some Greyhounds despise their jackets. Have you tried taking it off and seeing if he'll walk?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Javagirl
Welcome! Turns out part of your dog's career was at Raynham while my dog was also there. I checked; his four races there they didn't meet up and then he was moved to Wonderland.

Some Greyhounds despise their jackets. Have you tried taking it off and seeing if he'll walk?

How interesting! Ladd was a pretty good racer but only won about 10% of the time. Fine with us - although the DBF joked about only wanting a winner before we adopted.

Ladd hasn't shown any signs of not liking his coats. Quite the opposite actually, he puts his head in the sleeve of my coat when he wants to go out! We can try it though.

It's such a mystery, we're not sure if his tummy problems and the statuing are mutually exclusive or related. It started quite suddenly but at least the stomach issues are getting better with the chicken/white rice diet. Poor guy.