Damn, Dee's Paw Is Not Getting Better

I saw definite improvement in her when I started her on her new anti-inflammatories. She was bearing weight on her paw when standing and seemed so much happier. Today, I noticed that she was not bearing as much weight as she could, and when we went for a walk, every time we stopped for more than a few seconds, she picked her hind leg off the ground.

damn, damn, damn...

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

I think I missed dthe first posts, what exactly is your girl being treated for?

Dee has a very slight limp, which is very likely due to an old break in her hind leg. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that she wasn't bearing any weight on that paw when she stands still, although the limp wasn't any worse.

I brought her to the vet for a set of x-rays. The vet was wonderful. she's new to me and spent an hour just looking at Dee's legs, feeling them, checking them, having me walk back and forth across a long room so she could observe the walk, and so on. The x-rays were perfect for the hips and one leg. The favoured leg has nasty, bad arthritis around the old break and a black spot on the bone. The vet felt it was either an infection or what I feared, but she strongly believed it was an infection because that particular spot is very rare for tumours.

She changed Dee's ant-inflammatory from Rimadyle to something else (a once-a-day med) and I saw an instant improvement in her. She was back to her playful self and seemed to not be favouring the leg so much. I'm sure it wasn't the antibiotics because the improvement was within hours of the anti-inflammatory and she hadn't had a dose of antibiotic yet. Plus, it takes longer for them to work.

But today, particularly, she was not putting any weight on it at all when she stands. But, oddly enough, no limp at all unless you know she has one.

Could that tootsie just be more sensitive to the cold ??

It's actually nicer and {cough, cough} warmer here than it has been lately.

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Mareyeka why don't you ask her to send the xrays to Dr. Couto just for peace of mind? And keep in mind that even if it is milder in Montreal lately I bet it's damp. That's always nasty with arthritis.

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Mareyeka why don't you ask her to send the xrays to Dr. Couto just for peace of mind? And keep in mind that even if it is milder in Montreal lately I bet it's damp. That's always nasty with arthritis.

That's what I'm going to do - I'll call first thing Monday morning and arrange it.

Guest charmsmom
I'm sure you have but just in case--have you looked for corns on that foot? Sounds simple but, many times the obvious is overlooked. Also, while checking you may want to wet her foot--thoses buggers aren't always so easy to see. :P

:nod ITA!

I'm sure you have but just in case--have you looked for corns on that foot? Sounds simple but, many times the obvious is overlooked. Also, while checking you may want to wet her foot--thoses buggers aren't always so easy to see. :P

Yup, I checked. Her tootsies are perfect! ;)