Definition Of Senior Grey

Guest Redrabbit

Borrowed Time?!!

Let see, I have a 12 yr old running with my 3 yr old.

I have two 10 yr olds (sisters), one who was diagnosed with heart disease 5 yrs ago.

and two Bridge kids. One who died at 8 and one who died at 5. I wonder what he would have told me about the 5 year old a couple of months before I lost her.

Insensitive coot. However, you decide whether you want to keep him or not based on his vet skills. Maybe he's like the fictious House on TV.

By the way, your boy is very handsome!!

Check-ups and blood work twice a year are pretty standard for seniors, which your pup does officially qualify as (so does mine I believe, she'll be 9 in a month).

Yeah, the comment about borrowed time was insensitive - it would be if made about any dog at any age. If it bothered you, let your vet know and then move on. If you're happy iwth your vet otherwise, I don't see the need to run out in a panic to find a new vet. Unless you feel his recommendations about treatment have changed b/c your dog is "so old".

I hope your pup lives much longer, Neyla is planning on setting a new record, which means she currently has to make it to at least 20!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Your vet seems incredibly insensitive to me. I would find another vet as soon as possible. My Major lived to be 13.4 and Krier is now 12.9.

There are 3 vets at the practice I have been going to since 1993. The male vet, I refuse to see as he is a real jerk - but the other 2 females are absolutely wonderful. Dr. Cookingham, my primary vet calls me if there is any problems and is incredibly empathetic, knowledge and kind. Dr. A. is also wonderful.

For me the most important factor in a vet is feeling comfortable with him or her and that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

Good luck.

Buster is stunning!!!!!!

Is your vet familiar with retired racing greyhounds, or AKC greys?

If memory serves me, the life expectancy for AKCs is only 9 - 12 years instead of the NGA greys who are 12 - 14.

It might be that he knows the former. Most large breeds aren't as long lived as the NGA greyhounds. :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest EmbersDad

i think you should go show your dumbarse vet the lil video of our own gt celebrity hound that will be 20 this spring, and then politely tell them to go eff themselves....now about wellness exams every 6 mo.....ember is 10, and in fine health, and i am going to bring her in for wellness checkups every 6 mo, just because.

ETA -> http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/pages/H....1.1&sflg=1

Edited by EmbersDad

Guest charmsmom

I would tell your vet that you felt offended by that comment and give him the chance to apologize if he's never done anything in the past. Or not... :)

Either way, I agree that every six months is a good idea for seniors. You could spot problems earlier (such as weight loss or eye trouble) and keep a better tab on them. It's not a bad thing. But that comment was WAY out of line.

Guest HeatherDemps

Borrowed time???? What the heck? That was pretty darn insensitive! Given that Buster has no health issues, it is a really odd thing to say and just rude! Mine is going to be 12 next month and going through chemo right now, and I don't even consider that we are on "borrowed time". Sounds like that vet got hit with the stupid stick!

I haven't read all the replies. Vet doesn't know what he is talking about. 12-14 is the norm and many go longer (like Magic who went to the bridge at 16 1/2)

At 10 I'd get a simple panel done every 6 months just to keep an eye on everything. If you haven't done one, I'd do a tick panel and thyroid panel.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Redrabbit

Thanks for the encouragement - this vet isn't a particular favorite of mine but I believe he's technically competent and much closer than the alternative. I might call the other grey friendly vet and ask about standard procedures for 10 year old pups. I believe in the power of positive thinking so that's just what we'll do.

Rachel

post-2807-1203559487.gif