Strychnine Poisoning...

Guest LdiSaphire

I've been following this thread and am so happy to read the promising progress Dude has made. :yay Continued prayers for you and your boy. :hope Common Dude, your mamma wants you home!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LdiSaphire

UPDATE: Well I visited this afternoon...he wouldn't get up...but he did seem more responsive....and as I got ready to leave he did try to struggle upright to follow...but couldn't quite make it....they are trying to feed him some canned food...he's not eating...so they asked me to bring some of his canned and dry from home to see if he'd take some from me tomorrow...I think the techs there think I'm bonkers...I brought in more padding and again crawled right into the kennel with him...and I overheard one of them tell the other one...that lady is laying in his kennel with him...and the other said...have you seen the greyhound decals on her van and the personalized plate...and the other said yeah and did you check out the greyhounds on her coat...lol.. I couldn't help but chuckle...well I'll call at 8 a.m. and check on Dude...and then I'll go visit him around lunch...thanks so much for the well wishes and prayers...

Nina

Edited by LdiSaphire

Oh my gosh - I'm just reading this now.

Sending you and Dude tons of white light, positive healing energy and lots of prayers for a full recovery.

:hope:hope:hope:hope:hope:hope

Carla

Guest Winterwish
...I brought in more padding and again crawled right into the kennel with him...

That is so perfect,I bet he loves that you do that. It's good to hear Dude tried to get up to follow you! Hopefully tomorrow he'll take his own food that you bring.

You're doing a great job in helping Dude recover Nina!

UPDATE: Well I visited this afternoon...he wouldn't get up...but he did seem more responsive....and as I got ready to leave he did try to struggle upright to follow...but couldn't quite make it....they are trying to feed him some canned food...he's not eating...so they asked me to bring some of his canned and dry from home to see if he'd take some from me tomorrow...

I'm SO glad to hear he's improving - though not maybe as fast as you'd like. :bighug

I'd take him sardines or mackerel, or boiled chicken, or liver - anything you think he might like. Hand feed hm with good stinky stuff, I bet he'll take a bit that way.

I think the techs there think I'm bonkers...I brought in more padding and again crawled right into the kennel with him...and I overheard one of them tell the other one...that lady is laying in his kennel with him...and the other said...have you seen the greyhound decals on her van and the personalized plate...and the other said yeah and did you check out the greyhounds on her coat...lol.. I couldn't help but chuckle...well I'll call at 8 a.m. and check on Dude...and then I'll go visit him around lunch...thanks so much for the well wishes and prayers...

Nina

:lol This made me laugh! And it's actually a good thing. I don't have decals or a personalised plate (for various reasons) but I have been known to look a vet squarely in the eyes and tell him 'This dog is very precious to me, and I want you to pull all the stops out'. Sometimes they just don't get it, and when they do, they'll sometimes pay just a little more attention. I'm not suggested that a vet will do less than his best unless you do, but there's nothing like a personal touch. ;)

I did have one vet who is convinced that most people just don't want to spend the necessary money and so he wouldn't always suggest the expensive options.

Still thinking of Dude and sending him many prayers and gentle scritches. :hopedoggyhug3.gif

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest LdiSaphire
UPDATE: Well I talked to the vet this morning...he said when he first checked him out this morning he was disappointed not to see any real improvement...but then when they took him out of the kennel to clean this morning he actually managed to get onto his feet alone and stumble back into the kennel...so he was happy about that....he said he's still way too unsteady to be on his feet but it was progress....I just flat out asked what are his chances...the vet said if he stops improving over the next couple days it will change things completely but right now he's giving him a 60-70% chance of pulling through....I went to visit and took his favorite canned food...grammys pot pie...lol....and I took some sardines as well....he wasn't in the least bit interested in any of it... :( .....I'll try again tonight and tomorrow...maybe I'll take some venison holiday stew with me...he loves that too...heck he can have both if he'll just eat....but while there he did wet on his bedding and he sat up a bit and tried to wriggle out of it...so the vet says that's a good sign that it was bothering him and he was more aware of his surroundings...we're repeating lab work tomorrow...so finger crossed and lots of prayers that everything still looks good....come on baby you have to pull through this.... Edited by LdiSaphire

Guest gottaluvgreysindy

Continued prayers for your sweet baby boy...this just breaks my heart. Come on Dude, you can do it. I just love saying his name :colgate:grouphug to you.....

Guest greytexplorer

keep trying with the stinky food. sooner or later he'll go for it. he's just not quite there yet.

healing thoughts and prayers coming at you from AL!!! :kiss2

Guest Machbragal

I'm so encouraged by the good news. I'm praying for Dude, and hoping that he continues this wonderful progress.

I'm really concerned about how he could have been poisoned. If it's a neighbor, there's no guarantee it won't happen again. Have you any idea what might have happened? Big concern.

Come on, Dude! You are truly strong and special.

You might try taking him something that he doesn't usually have -- a piece of cinnamon bread, a little cup of ice cream, a can of spaghettios, couple vanilla sandwich cookies, processed cheese slices, lunch meat. Sometimes if you get them jump-started, so to speak, they will get their appetite back and eat a little of the good stuff.

Keeping up the prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Machbragal

I know I had a cat that simply WOULD NOT eat if she was in the ER or vet. Once she was there for seven days, and she never ate a thing. We got her home, and she ate fine. I had tried ALL of her favorite foods, to no avail.

Guest LdiSaphire
I'm really concerned about how he could have been poisoned. If it's a neighbor, there's no guarantee it won't happen again. Have you any idea what might have happened? Big concern.

No idea....we've searched for the poison again and again...we've found NOTHING...we did file a police report....the vet and police said if it was an intentional poisoning or even him swallowing something that crawled into the yard we will probably never know what caused it since the evidence was eaten....when Dude comes home he'll be going out on a leash for awhile...as for neighbors...we're moving a week from Friday anyway....I bought a place and we've been packing all month for the move....so we'll have new neighbors and a new yard etc....I'll still be taking him out on a leash for awhile though....this is an awful thing to happen anytime...but this couldn't of been worse timing since I used pretty much all my savings and tax return for the down payment on my house....I haven't figured out quite how to pay for the vet bill yet...but somehow it'll happen...right now getting Dude well again is my top priority....thanks for the continued prayers...

Edited by LdiSaphire

Guest greytexplorer

{{{Nina}}}

is there any chance that you will get one of those "rebate" checks from the fed govt?

I know it won't cover the entire cost of the surgery, but it might help a lot.

Continued prayers for complete recovery!!!

Guest Winterwish

Such an awful thing you and Dude are going thru. I'd definitely give the vanilla ice cream a try too.

Is he eating anything at all?

You could also mix half ensure with half milk,and see if he'd lap that up a bit,as long as it's cold,he may really enjoy that.

Also,a couple of pieces of liver can be cooked up with no fanciness in 15 minutes just on a piece of tin foil. Bell and Evans sells a container full for about $3. It's not pretty to look at,but most dogs do love liver.

Keeping Dude in my thoughts and prayers! :hope:hope:bighug

Guest Machbragal

That's so scary. I'm really glad you are moving though -- even though I know how expensive that is (we are moving soon, too). I've always been terrified of having my pets poisoned. That's one of the reasons I never let my pets outside unaccompanied -- and they are cats not dogs! I walk them on leashes. They are with me all the time outside. I just don't trust people. We've had a number of poisonings of dogs in our area. It's SO cruel and so hard to find the people doing the poisoning.