Inexpensive Meds

Guest shortcat

Guest shortcat

Does anyone know anywhere to get prescription meds online without a prescription? You know when the dog has been on it forever, but the vet charges you to see him to get a refill.

Guest KennelMom

What maintenance med are you looking for? Sometimes, esp if there's a human equivalent, you can get the rx filled a human pharmacy. There are also some $4 meds available at Walmart and Target. I guess that won't help you with getting charged for writing the refill though....

The only time my vet has charged us to write a refill is if the med requires some sort of check-up due to possible long term side effects. Even then it's only a follow-up visit which is half the normal office visit (if they even charge us for it...usually they don't) You may want to find another vet if you feel yours is billing unfairly.

Guest shortcat
What maintenance med are you looking for? Sometimes, esp if there's a human equivalent, you can get the rx filled a human pharmacy. There are also some $4 meds available at Walmart and Target. I guess that won't help you with getting charged for writing the refill though....

The only time my vet has charged us to write a refill is if the med requires some sort of check-up due to possible long term side effects. Even then it's only a follow-up visit which is half the normal office visit (if they even charge us for it...usually they don't) You may want to find another vet if you feel yours is billing unfairly.

What Luke needs is Previcox. I guess I should "vet shop".

Thanks

Guest KennelMom

Hmm....When our seniors were on rimadyl long term for arthritis, our vet pulled bloodwork every 6 months or so to check liver/kidney levels. We paid for that, but there was never an office charge for them just to pull the blood. I think that may be a standard protocol with any long term NSAIDs, not sure...maybe burpdog will see t his and have some advice on that.

Shanti is on Previcox. I order it through Value Vet. http://www.valuevet.com/browse.php?id=114

It is the cheapest I had found. They just raised the cost a bit. Through my vet it was something like $4 a pill! YIKES! Value Vet is quick too! I can order and have it within 4-5 days if my vet responds quickly.

This does require a prescription. They can fax a request to your vet. This is also a medicine that needs monitoring. We do blood tests every 6 months on this. If I don't get her in, they would not authorize a refill.

The Girls

This issue is no doubt that your vet wants to be prudent and run some routine bloodwork. It would be irresponsible of your vet to just write you a new prescription if it's one of those drugs. My old dog was on thyroid meds and I had to bring him in every six months in the beginning to monitor is blood, and after the first year or so, my vet just let me bring him in and have a technician draw the blood--so no charge for an office visit. You might inquire about that.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest shortcat
Shanti is on Previcox. I order it through Value Vet. http://www.valuevet.com/browse.php?id=114

It is the cheapest I had found. They just raised the cost a bit. Through my vet it was something like $4 a pill! YIKES! Value Vet is quick too! I can order and have it within 4-5 days if my vet responds quickly.

This does require a prescription. They can fax a request to your vet. This is also a medicine that needs monitoring. We do blood tests every 6 months on this. If I don't get her in, they would not authorize a refill.

I think I'm just going to have to shop for a vet that will just charge for lab work. I don't mind that and I did ask, that's what started this I got POed. My boy that is taking the Previcox is only 3yrs, he "had a tendon injury" and even though it been 5 months he has days that he really favors that leg including not puting weight on it at all. When this happens Previcox for 1-2 days help him. I am careful with it. And the vet did give it to him. But a full office visit and labs for every 10 pills, I have 4 dogs it gets expensive.

If money is tight, next time you see your vet, ask him about writing a script for meloxicam instead. It works similarly and very well for most dogs, and can be filled at WalMart or Target for $4. The $4 supply of 30 pills will last you 60 days (only 1/2 tablet is given per day, usually).

Lynn

Guest Tenderhearts

My new vet charged a one-time fee of 7.50 for transferring Raven's heart meds to Walmart (they are both $4 meds), and I have unlimited refills on those.