Stroke Recovery Possible?

Guest michael_roberts

She is stunning, I just love her face! I am so happy to see the progress, however small it may be, but progress being made. I am praying for Noza and hoping she continues to improve daily. Please keep us posted. Hugs to all.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hollys2hounds

My beloved Ginger had a stoke. She did come home, after the intitial hospitalization, and though she was still partially paralized, (we used a sling to help her walk) she did fairly well. The steroids were amazing! I think she was on them for 3 weeks. By the end of week one.... We had our girl back for a short while!!!! Playing with toys, eating, snuggling!

Unfortunately, Ginger suffered another stoke, which was worse, and we had to help her to the bridge. We did get to spend a little over a month with her though!

She how she is doing. I know my story is not the one you want to hear. I just thought knowing how much the steroids worked would be helpful. My Ginger was 8 1/2

I am so sorry, but I do understand. If you want any other info, please feel free to PM me.

:bighug:bighug:bighug:bighug:bighug

Holly

When Cricket had her stoke the Dr told me to stand her up and lean her against something to get the pathways movings. We would lean her again the couch and prop her up. We would put a towel under her and take her outside. She would get interested and try to walk and we supported her.

When she got stronger and could waddle he let her out front where stray dogs had been. We kept increasing the number of times she would walk around the tree in the front yard.

It does take time to recover from a stroke.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest michael_roberts

Thanks everyone! Holly, thanks for your story; I think it's important we get a realistic idea of what's possible. If all we hear are the success stories, we're likely to have unrealistically positive expectations.... So, thanks for letting us know about Ginger.

Escena, we are getting Noza up on her feet and letting her lean on us as she need to for support, so your example is encouraging.

No real changes today, except we noticed the pupil in her left eye is still much larger than in her right eye. We had been told her pupils had returned to normal size in the vet hospital last week, but Theresa checked back with the hospital and now they are saying, no, the left was still much larger than the right when she was discharged. I guess we haven't noticed this before b/c she has been keeping that eye partially closed because of the scratch or ulcer on it. Last night was rough; she just couldn't get comfortable and settle down. Now, at 1PM, she is sleeping like a baby. We may just have our days and nights confused for a while. Noza is still eating well; Theresa got five cans of a/d food in her yesterday.

Still watching and waiting....

Guest fastdogs

Michael,

Speak with your vet about hydrotherapy. As I understand it, the therapy is essentially a dog wearing a life vesting walking on a treadmill in a pool. The water and vest create the buoyancy need to help the dog support it's weight while walking on the treadmill.

I don't know where you are, but here's a web site that may help.

click

Guest Hollys2hounds

Michael,

What part of the country are you in?

We had hoped to start the hydrotherapy with Ginger.... it is supposed to be a great therapy.

There is a place by us, where Teddy is going for his acupuncture that offers that therapy. I hear it's wonderful.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest vahoundlover

greytdecals (Suzieq) did hydrotherapy with Alan...she even videotaped some of the sessions and posted them in H&M so we could see how he was doing.

Guest michael_roberts

Well, it's been an odd day. Noza was very quiet and lethargic; not at all the same dog she has been since we brought her home last Thursday. No energy, not sitting up on her own, and limp as a rag doll when we roll her over or move her. We wondered whether she had another small stroke or more bleeding in her brain stem. OTOH, she has eaten well and has been more relaxed, not stiff and tense as before.

In the last couple of hours, she is showing more energy and alertness, so whatever was causing the listlessness this morning seems to have passed. We had her on her feet for five minutes about an hour ago. She's holding her head up a little better and her legs are not as stiff as before. Not sure if this is progress or not....She seemed to be fading on us earlier today, but she's rallying in the last few hours.

Nine days now since her collapse. Looks like her recovery (assuming...) is not going to be one of the shorter ones.

We haven't heard from the physical therapist yet.

Holly, we are in Colorado, less than an hour NW of Denver. One of the therapists our vet recommended does hydro. We are waiting on a call back from a therapist to get an evaluation of Noza.

Will keep you posted....

Sending lots of prayers and gentle hugs for yourself and your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest kellygreyhound

Hi Michael, my girl had a stroke in her spinal column (not FCE) in December and she's well on her way to be absolutely back to normal now (her butt still wiggles a lot when she's running but we're still doing therapy!). My girl, like your Noza, would do very little when she was at neurology clinic, however, whenever I showed up she suddenly would show up the vet staff completely (the day I came to get her, she suddenly realized she could get up on her own and walk, slowly, but still). The first weekend home was *VERY* difficult for both of us--it was a lot of care and I felt awful because I realized that all my girl wanted was to go back to doing the things she always does, like going outside for potty and walks. Kelly is quite a bit younger and did not turn out to have any underlying causes, so her recovery was a lot more straightforward. My thoughts and hugs are with your girl!

Also, someone mentioned the hydrotherapy, and that's what my girl's been doing. Here's a clip I posted earlier of her second physical therapy visit:

Kelly in therapy

When she started she could walk and stand with support; now she goes on the treadmill by herself! I think our PT mentioned, though, that it's pretty important to find a therapist who actually has a good understanding of the PT process. I guess some clinics just get a water treadmill and let the vet techs put the dogs on it--a PT can help recognize improvement and deficits that need to be worked on...

Guest michael_roberts

Nothing much new to report. Noza continues as before--she is eating and drinking well; we're turning her every hour or two to keep pressure sores at bay. She's resting comfortably. Unfortunately, she is not showing any improvement in her ability to stand--she can support her weight for five minutes or less if we support her, o/w she would just fall over--seemingly no balance at all or very little. It's now been 11 days since her stroke, and we are beginning to wonder whether she has been too badly affected to recover. We have an appointment tomorrow morning with her regular vet.

Guest michael_roberts

Those of you who have had dogs go a week or more before showing signs of recovery--is there more we should be doing (like therapy) or are we just waiting on her to show some improvement?

Guest Greysx4

My female had a stroke at age 9. She couldn't walk for 6 days but within a 30 day time period she made almost a complete recovery. I notice she would kind of tilt off to one side every once in awhile when she walked but it was so slight none of my friends ever even notice it, but I did. I eventually lost her to cancer when she almost 12 years old.