Toe Amputation Tomorrow

Guest EmbersDad

Guest EmbersDad

well. ember cut her toe yet again on saturday. nothing more than just putting her out in the back yard to pee. this is the 5th time its split since the original injury back in the summer. both my vet and i decided that this is probably for the best. i am afraid to play with her and have her run with the toe splitting so easily, and i want to have fun with my pup. she is gonna get a dental as well. i am picking up a dantrolene perscription after work, and she goes in tomorrow morning at 8 am. please keep a happy thought for my sweetie. thank u

t0nryp.jpg

Good luck! Our group has had to do two toe amps, and both dogs took the surgery well. One walks with a limp (at least he did the last time I saw him, about a month post-amp), but the other, you wouldn't know she was missing it :) Both dogs had weight-bearing toes removed.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Good thoughts for Ember.

Howie is missing a toe and it's never slowed him down at all. Just one less nail to cut for me!

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest EmbersDad
Good luck! Our group has had to do two toe amps, and both dogs took the surgery well. One walks with a limp (at least he did the last time I saw him, about a month post-amp), but the other, you wouldn't know she was missing it :) Both dogs had weight-bearing toes removed.

this is a toe on the right paw, inside, so it isnt a weight bearing toe. the dantrolene is for malignant hyperthermia. she experienced that after a dental a long time ago, so we give it to help prevent that from reoccurring.

Fingers crossed she sails through the surgery without complications - has she been under anesthesia since the dental incident? :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest EmbersDad
Fingers crossed she sails through the surgery without complications - has she been under anesthesia since the dental incident? :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

yup , the next time the dental came around, we did the dantrolene again. this time, i had discovered the joy of hiding pills in PB and she sailed thru the dental. my vet, dr ian, had worked with upenn vet school and they came up with a good anesthetic protocol that coupled with the dantrolene worked well. they are going to use it again this time.

That's good news! (and cream cheese works wonders in my house :lol )

I'll be thinking about you and Ember tomorrow morning and hoping for a speedy recovery. :goodluck Please keep us updated.

Nancy

th_Chancepool.jpgmissing my Angel, Chance ~ 1/23/99 - 1/24/08 (Fortified Heart)

"...for every joy that passes, something beautiful remains"

Guest KennelMom

Sending you good wishes for an uneventeful surgery.

We are going through a similar recurring injury on our Rocky. I'm afraid he's going to need the toe amputated as well :( Headed back to the vet this week to have another look-see at it.

Our Tess had 2 toes amputated just before Xmas. Outside toe on the right front foot and the inside toe on the left back foot. She has had no problem since. They had tumors on them that the lab said were caused by old injuries. Vet said there probably wouldn't be any more , but another tumors has come up on the toe next to the one that was amputated on the left rear foot. No nasty C showed up anywhere and she is doing just fine. Will keep your pup in our thoughts tomorrow and hope for a fast recovery and healthy life.

Ruth

Tom, I'll be thinking of you and Ember. I was thinking about her on the weekend, wondering how her toe is. Glad you hare getting it done, she will have such relief, and you won't worry as much.

:bighug to you all.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

We hope all goes well for pretty Miss Ember. Her pals Paul and John E send hugs to you, too.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Keeping good thoughts for you & for Ember.

If you will be doing her bandage changes at home, just remember that the first time is the worst, and it will get easier each time you change the bandage.

We went through this on an emergency basis in November. If there's anything I can do to help you, please send me a PM!

Guest EmbersDad
Keeping good thoughts for you & for Ember.

If you will be doing her bandage changes at home, just remember that the first time is the worst, and it will get easier each time you change the bandage.

We went through this on an emergency basis in November. If there's anything I can do to help you, please send me a PM!

i think for the first few i will let the vet do it, just to make sure everything is healing ok.

thank you everyone for the well wishes...30 min till dantrolene....

Thinking of you and Ember today. Be sure to give us an update post-surgery!

Guest EmbersDad

wipe the windows....check the oil....dollar gas.....

shes done! the vet just called and she sailed right thru. since the toe was a recurring injury, they wanted to do chest x rays. all clear! the toe amputation went well, and her dental cleaning was uneventful. some staining, and tartar, but no extractions needed. im to call around 5 pm to see if she is ready to come home, and then prepare for her to do her best peter gabriel "lamb lies down" era genesis with her e collar. :lol

thanx to everyone for their happy thoughts. once again, it worked!