Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Guest luluaz

Help! Oatmeal Raisin Cookies Eaten!

Recommended Posts

Guest luluaz

Just walked in to find tin of cookies(small) on the floor with contents GONE!

I have no idea if one or all of my four hounds ate the oatmeal raisin cookies....induce vomiting or get out the hose to wash away the big D???

Dang it, they were going to my friend in FLA. and wouldn't you know they would get jealous!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest WhenIGiveIn

I would definitley NOT induce vomitting. Nothing in those cookies are toxic and anything to give them to make them vomit would be unecessary. Let them be and hope they dont get the big d to badly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest KennelMom

Actually, raisins can be toxic to dogs though it is unknown exactly how much is "too much."

 

http://www.aspca.org/site/News2?id=16645&a...age=NewsArticle

 

Depending on how many they ate and how many raisins were in them, I'd probalby just let it go. Greyhounds are pretty big dogs. If you want to make them vomit, pour a bit of hydrogen peroxide down their throat. They should vomit within 5 or so minutes.

Edited by KennelMom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest WhenIGiveIn

Didnt know that about rasins, THAT being said I would still say run its course a pom of mine (shes abotu 4 lbs) ate 3 or 4 of those tiny little rasin boxes and she was fine. I had no clue that they could be toxic but judging on that size to qty ratio you should be good to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest BlackandBrindle

Sadie ate the same amount of trail mix- just watch them but they'll be fine most likely. Don't induce vomiting. What a way to start your Monday, eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest KennelMom
Didnt know that about rasins, THAT being said I would still say run its course a pom of mine (shes abotu 4 lbs) ate 3 or 4 of those tiny little rasin boxes and she was fine. I had no clue that they could be toxic but judging on that size to qty ratio you should be good to go.

 

From the limited reading I've been able to do on it (there isn't a lot of info out there about it), I suspect they will find that raisin/grape toxicity is either an individual trait or there are breeds more sensitive to it than others. To be safer, rather than sorry, I just avoid giving them to the dogs but if any of the greys got into some I wouldn't necessarily freak unless it was a dog with a history of kidney issues or ultra old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest jg_consult

The rough part about raisin toxicity is it causes kidney failure. If the dogs are sensitive to it, even a couple of raisins could make them VERY ill or worse.

 

To induce vomiting, there are two approaches. Pouring the hydrogen peroxide down the throat is one method, but it can choke a dog if they inhale any of the liquid. You can soak a peice of bread in peroxide (half a piece of bread per dog) and put that in the back of their throats - they will swallow it without the danger of choking on liquid.

 

By the way, my greyhound grabbed a mouthful of my raisin bran cereal from my bowl on the table several years ago. I picked up the peroxide and bread, put down newspaper on the kitchen floor (horrible rainstorm outside), grabbed him by the collar, and administered a dose. He was not happy with me!!!!

 

Better safe than sorry. By the time they seem ill, they can be VERY SERIOUSLY ill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest luluaz

Sorry abou the late response, Vet says let them be-

they appear to be fine, and I am busy poop scanning :P

and working at my new job-

thanks to all for the advise!

 

Lisa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've already gotten your answers, but I want to add that well before anyone announced that raisins were "toxic," my father spent 65 years happily feeding raisins to every dog we've ever had--to no ill effect whatsoever.

 

I'm not talking handfuls, but the few raisins in a few cookies are almost certainly not going to be harmful.

 

 



Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tell that to one of our adopters whose dogs got into grapes while she was gone. She made them both puke and one dog got most and the other just a small amount. Even after puking up the grape skins and stems, both dogs nearly died and the one that ate the fewer was the sicker of the two of them. It took a lot of money and care to nurse them back from the edge. If a dog is going to be sensitive then it doesn't take much. Problem is not knowing which dogs are sensitive and which aren't.


Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

 

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that's the thing. As few as 6 raisins have been known to kill a 45lb dog. You just don't know how your dog will react, so it's better to be safe than sorry. I had to induce vomitting on Turbo one night after he ate about a pound of oatmeal raisin cookies (they were these HUGE, THICK gormet ($$$$$$) cookies, too; I was ticked, but it was my fault I left them where he could find them).



Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...