Prayers Desperately Needed For Chase

Guest savvyprchick

***Update 1/23/08****

Well, Chase seems like he's not in pain anymore as he only pants now when he has to go potty (prednisone!). I also did one of the neurological tests on him that the vet did (putting his back feet on his knuckles and seeing if he rights himself... it's a reflex and he wasn't doing it before which told the vet his leg wasn't communicating with his brain properly).... and he righted the leg! :yay:

You know when dogs get wet or something and they start to shake at their head and it travels down their body and ends up going through their tail? Well, since Chase has been hurt, he hasn't been able to get it past his neck. Yesterday at noon he was able to wiggle his body and his tail just a bit. Just this morning when I brought him in from doing our walk in the backyard, he did it again and did a full shake... it was a VERY gentle shake, but he did it! :yay:

Thanks for the prayers... they seem to be working!

That's wonderful news! :clap

Welcome home Quixote (formerly known as Whytell Mango)

JennScoot2.jpg

My Beloved Scooterman October 16, 1998 - October 11, 2007

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will continue the healing chants and prayers. We are so happy to hear he is feeling better which means your heart is beating again. Just a suggestion, keep up with your vet and the other tests he might have in mind. In the story we posted about Gracie's Uncle Higgins - he had a sharp pain episode like Chase did about 4 to 6 months before his back went out completely, sometimes its a warning sign and others its a one time fluke incident. And keep doing whatever your doing to make him feel better. We wish continued and complete healing. It's hard to keep a greyt down. Hugs to you both and extra scritches and cookies for Chase.

Guest Brandy_b

Oh Jen I am just reading this now!!! Sorry to hear Chase was in some pain! Poor guy, we're thinking of his and will keep hoping he continues to improve :)

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Guest greyt2love
I need the power of GT. Last night after coming home from a day trip, Chase and Lu went outside as per normal and I heard a loud yelp soon after. I knew it was Chase by the sound of it and called them in.

He wouldn't stop panting last night (he's a cold dog and it's one of the coldest nights of the year) and would only lay down for 20 minutes at a time during the night until about 4 a.m. when he would only lay down for 15 seconds.

So I was at the vet's as soon as they opened at 8 determined to wait until they either had an appointment or wait until someone was late/no showed. Luckily for me, the vet keeps the first few appointments open on Mondays for over-the-weekend needs. So as soon as the vet arrived at 9, Chase and I got in.

Long story short, the results are Chase has some neurological problems that are caused from a disk that is very near to rupturing. Vet thinks Lulu ran into him and on the ice/snow his body twisted a wrong way. She says that he is right on the edge of being "very bad" and that one wrong move (jumping down from the couch, Lu trying to play, etc) and the disc could rupture... permanently paralyzing him.

So he's on strict bed rest for 3-6 weeks (and predisone and a drug to keep stomach ulcers away).

Please send some prayers that he can keep still for that long (he haaaaaaaaaaaates the crate but will have to be in it) and that he heals without becoming paralyzed.

***Update 1/23/08****

Well, Chase seems like he's not in pain anymore as he only pants now when he has to go potty (prednisone!). I also did one of the neurological tests on him that the vet did (putting his back feet on his knuckles and seeing if he rights himself... it's a reflex and he wasn't doing it before which told the vet his leg wasn't communicating with his brain properly).... and he righted the leg! :yay:

You know when dogs get wet or something and they start to shake at their head and it travels down their body and ends up going through their tail? Well, since Chase has been hurt, he hasn't been able to get it past his neck. Yesterday at noon he was able to wiggle his body and his tail just a bit. Just this morning when I brought him in from doing our walk in the backyard, he did it again and did a full shake... it was a VERY gentle shake, but he did it! :yay:

Thanks for the prayers... they seem to be working!

Hurrah !! So glad to hear this good news !!!!

I used a sling with Cody when her back got bad - it really helped with the squatting!! and acupuncture helped too...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Keeping Chase in my thoughts. Glad you're checking out the acupuncture, so many people have had success with it for various issues on here. Keep us posted, hoping the next report is even better!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Winterwish

Chase will definitely continue to be in my thoughts and prayers savvyprchick. The acupuncture sounds very good,and it's really good that she had recommendations to try.

Sending get well wishes to your good boy. :hope:dogcookie:bighug

• 2 weeks later...