Help!

Guest HeatherDemps

Guest HeatherDemps

Dempsey had some continued oozing from some of the staples, so they put some special bandage over it to help it stop so he can start to heal. It's supposed to come off now and of course it's super sticky and this isn't going well!! Any advice on how to get it to come off more easily? It doesn't want to come away from the skin so well so Dempsey is pretty unhappy with me... Trying to use some soacked paper towels against it to try to loosen it.

Yep, baby oil or mineral oil will work it loose. :)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest HeatherDemps

The bandage is covering part of his staples and right next to the rest so I am nervous about using oil so close... my mom and sister came over and are working on it now- they've got it halfway off and I am hiding out in the office. He's whining and yelping a little but gets much more dramatic if I go in there. Mom and sis are doing much better than me- once stupidly put a human bandaid on Dempsey and it took me 4 hours to get it off. The pain patch has to come off tomorrow so hopefully I can convince them to come back over for that one! :)

The pain patch you'll be able to use oil on :) . If you let it soak for awhile, it'll come off.

The other bandages, you wouldn't need to worry about oil in any case until it got close to the staples.

Hugs and luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest HeatherDemps

They finally did get it off. I'm not looking forward to getting the pain patch off tomorrow- couldn't convince my mom and sister to come back for round 2. :(

Just use baby oil or oilve oil on the pain patch. put it around the edges and just gently gradually work it under the edges a wee bit at a time with your fingernail. The key is not to hurry it. work it under a tiny edge then squeeze a lttle more under your foothold, then go do something else for a while while it works. Repeat as needed. Take all afternoon if need be.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest MorganKonaAlex

We were told to just leave the pain patch on until it fell off. The medication has worn off so it's not doing anything, but it won't hurt to leave it on until it falls off on it's own.

Guest socks_mommy
We were told to just leave the pain patch on until it fell off. The medication has worn off so it's not doing anything, but it won't hurt to leave it on until it falls off on it's own.

I second that one, my vet told me the same thing. My poor boy was through enough already!

For the pain patch or any other bandage, what I have done before is apply the baby oil to a cotton ball or piece of gauze and then wipe the area where the sticky meets the skin, while peeling back on the patch...just keep wiping at the point where it meets the skin and it will come right off, it's like magic!

For the bandages near the staples I would set a wet washcloth over the area and let it sit for a little while. That or I would squirt some Hibiclens on there and let it sit a few minutes. Usually that does the trick.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--