Poor Butch Probably Needs Stitches

Guest LovesDoggies

Guest LovesDoggies

I have no idea what happened. This morning, it was still dark, DBF let Butch, Bruce and Kimmie out. I heard barking, and then yelping. Kimmie has a tendency to be play-aggressive and according to my own vet -- she should be an only dog. Butch has a tendency not to play and does not like to be bothered by Kimmie, so they apparently had a scuffle, but I can't believe that Kimmie would have bit him and caused GASHES. Two separate gashes right near one another. One is at least an inch long, and about 1/6 inch wide.

My vet opens at 8. I will try to get him in this a.m. The gashes are not really bleeding, but upon applying pressure, there is some blood. I really can't believe this. I'll see if the vet thinks it was a bite. Maybe he turned around really quickly and got caught on a fence or something, but I could not imagine what that would be in my yard????

The only good thing is that Bruce was not involved. I would be freaking out even more if this happened to him, given his condition.

I guess I go to the e-vet again, if I can't get an appointment.

Guest KennelMom

I"m sorry to hear about the scuffle. It doesn't take much to cause a rather significant gash on a greyhound. Teeth and nails can do it quite easily. You're probably lucky it's not more serious.

It sounds like you should definitely be muzzling your pups at turn out or ALWAYS be out with them to make sure Kimmie isn't bothering the other dogs.

Guest MrsDooLittle

This happened to my Miami when he was out with Mr Green Jeans....turned out it happened from his nails when they were jumping up at each other while playing. I had JUST decided I should start muzzling them but that wouldn't have helped in our case. Where are the gashes? Miami's was on his side so every time he moved, it would open wider. He ended up needing about 7 stitches but it has really healed nicely.

Cindy

Guest LovesDoggies
This happened to my Miami when he was out with Mr Green Jeans....turned out it happened from his nails when they were jumping up at each other while playing. I had JUST decided I should start muzzling them but that wouldn't have helped in our case. Where are the gashes? Miami's was on his side so every time he moved, it would open wider. He ended up needing about 7 stitches but it has really healed nicely.

Cindy

It is on his side, almost on his hind leg. Thankfully, we have an appointment with our regular vet at 9:30.

I never, ever, ever muzzle. I guess I never thought it would come to this. Now, I know. Thank you all for the suggestion. It is pure mayhem around here lately. I need better systems. I will start with the muzzling.

Guest Kpparker

Muzzle thread

After reading this thread recently I decided when we have a backyard our dogs will be muzzled outside.

Additionally, when Bia no longer stays in her crate while we are out they'll be muzzled.

Sorry that happened :( Hope the vet appointment goes well!

Guest LovesDoggies
Muzzle thread

After reading this thread recently I decided when we have a backyard our dogs will be muzzled outside.

Additionally, when Bia no longer stays in her crate while we are out they'll be muzzled.

Sorry that happened :( Hope the vet appointment goes well!

Thanks for the muzzle thread. I can't believe some of those pictures! :eek

Butch is at the vet now. She wants to put in a few stitches, but because he ate breakfast, she is going to wait until late afternoon to decide whether she will do it then or tomorrow some time during the day. I am lucky they were able to see him today.

Guest LindsaySF

Sorry to hear about Butch! How is he doing now?

Always muzzle them at turn-out, just in case. :) It could have even been an accident, but with their thin skin and the speeds they get up to, it doesn't take much to cause a significant wound. Teagan is also a bit of a nipper when running around the yard, trying to get Cody to chase him. :rolleyes:

I would also muzzle (or separate them) when you aren't home or there to directly supervise. Dogs will be dogs, you never know what can happen.

~Lindsay~

Guest LovesDoggies
Sorry to hear about Butch! How is he doing now?

Always muzzle them at turn-out, just in case. :) It could have even been an accident, but with their thin skin and the speeds they get up to, it doesn't take much to cause a significant wound. Teagan is also a bit of a nipper when running around the yard, trying to get Cody to chase him. :rolleyes:

I would also muzzle (or separate them) when you aren't home or there to directly supervise. Dogs will be dogs, you never know what can happen.

~Lindsay~

Butch is doing much better. Resting on the sofa. I left him at the vet yesterday morning. She put in stitches, 20-ish. And, since he was under anesthesia, she did a dental . . . for FREE!!!! Oh, I love my vet. Butch seems totally fine. I am not letting him out with the other two for now. Two weeks and she will remove the stitches. Thank goodness she was able to take us in right away and fix him up so quickly.

Sorry to hear about what happened. Glad to hear that Butch is doing better and getting some rest after the stitches. Your vet sounds awesome!! (a FREE dental?!)

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.