Help She Got Into The Cough Drops!

Guest jessicaksu125

Guest jessicaksu125

Gigi managed to eat what was left of a bag of Halls menthanol cough drops while we were out. I'd guess there were about 15 in the bag, but there were lots of remnants stuck to her bed!

DBF is looking some stuff up and it looks ok. Vet suggested I call poison control anyway, but it could cost $60 for the call, just to get advice. She seems fine (just upset because mommy yelled at her). Figured I'd ask here first to see if anyone knows about this or had any implications.

ETA: I talked to someone in my group and found some info online that points to her being ok. We're going to watch her though.

Edited by jessicaksu125

to me it just seems weird that your vet wouldn't answer your question and just tell you to call poison control. I guess I thought poison control was who you called if your vet was unavailable :dunno

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest BooandCalisMom

Can you make her throw up? Here is how to based on some other experiences here:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showto...drogen+peroxide

For future reference, if they get into something they shouldn't have (i.e., chocolate) you can make them barf with 3% hydrogen peroxide. 1 teaspoon per 10 lbs. of body weight, repeat once after 20 minutes if nothing happens. To speed up the process you can walk them around to jiggle their tummies and stir things up until they hurl. This is best done outside. wink.gif Works for cats, too. I had to do it with Sapphy when she got hold of a plant of questionable toxicity. It was gross, but better than the alternative. Do not use salt water or syrup of ipecac for animals.

Just curious - why would it cost $60 to call poison control? Do they charge for that?

Guest jessicaksu125

They weren't sugar free, thank god. Sugar free is bad for both doggy and mommy!

Gigi has been fine. Wolfed down her dinner. Hasn't puked. I'll see what comes out on the other end on our walk.

I freaked out a bit but I think everything will be fine.

Don't know. The vet's receptionist relayed the problem onto her vet, and he had his aide call me back. She said "She'll probably be fine but call poison control just in case. There is a charge, I don't know what it is." Looked it up online and it said there was a $60 consultation fee. I called the executive director of the greyhound group instead.

Can you make her throw up? Here is how to based on some other experiences here:

Thanks, by the time I've seen this she is fine and has already eaten dinner. But I will keep that in mind if she gets into trouble again!

Regarding the fee, both animal poison control centers I know of charge a fee so have a credit card handy.

Jessica, be sure to report if Gigi has um, menthal scented poo or gas. :P

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest jessicaksu125
Regarding the fee, both animal poison control centers I know of charge a fee so have a credit card handy.

Jessica, be sure to report if Gigi has um, menthal scented poo or gas. :P

I am happy to report that her farts still smell like farts. :fart:fart :fart And oh she's letting them out tonight. Maybe she's trying to gas me out of my apartment so she can hunt for more cough drops. :P

Guest shelbygirl07

according to the Red Cross, when I took my pet first aid instructor course, the pet poison control center is an all volunteer group that consists of vets that work out of their home. They volunteer a couple of hours a week and the calls are randomly forwarded to their cell phones. They are given an archaic laptop that the volunteer will VPN into the database. Since so many new drugs and chemicals are produced each day, the $60 goes to keeping the databases up to date. The money pays for people who have to do research in order to get the info to update the database.

The pet poison control is not part of any government body unlike the human one. It was founded by a group of vets who believed in the importance of this service. The volunteers are spread all over the country.

Guest vahoundlover

Glad Gigi is ok!

Regarding the pet poison control center, the night Dolly died :cry1 the emergency vet was on the phone with them at least 3 times....they were wonderful in helping her find the latest info on toxic reactions to PPA.... I can't remember now, but they may have only charged us for the first call, regardless, I felt it was money well spent.