So What Do You Do With A 15 Yo Who Wants To Eat

Here are a few things I learned through experience about syringe feeding. Ask for the largest oral syringe you can get from your pharmacist. Cut the very tip off the opening, as there is an inner lip that makes the opening even narrower (the narrower the opening, the finer the liquid must be to go through it). File the edges with a nail file if they seem sharp after cutting. (don't bother with a turkey baster-- I tried and they're messy and useless)

This part I did in batches of about 12 cups...

Pre soak kibble in a container with water and/or broth, enough to cover the kibble by an inch. (I also added Missing Link Plus-1 tsp per cup of kibble- while soaking, as it added nutrients and also had the benefit of helping break down the kibble even further). Let this soak in the refrigerator for at least six hours, a day is better. Then put the mushy soaked kibble in a food processor with additional water/broth and process until very very smooth. You'll know it's the right consistency when you can put the tip of the syringe into it and draw up a full tube without too much resistance or it getting clogged. Think smooth yogurt...

Once the food is all pureed, I put it back in a container and refrigerate, spooning out servings and warming them with additional water and/or microwaving as needed. I found that I could also add certain meds at this point by using a mortar & pestle to grind them to powder and mixing into the meal (only th ones that don't taste awful or have time-release coatings).

I found that when they've been on hunger strikes, their tummies do shrink, so many small meals is a good way to start.

I sat with the doggie, where she was comfortable, and gently held the muzzle with one hand while sliding the tip of the syringe between the side teeth and angle toward the throat (don't need to cram it in, just the tip between the side teeth works) Once the plunger starts pushing the food out onto the tongue, my girls always started automatically licking and swallowing. I matched the rate of my plunging with the rate of their swallowing, and paused periodically so they could catch their breath. None of my girls seemed to mind being fed this way, even after they'd given up on voluntarily eating. They just patiently sat there, waiting for the next syringe-full.

This method does take a lot of time and effort and patience, but to me it was worth it to not have to watch my girls waste away despite my best efforts to find various foods that they'd deign to even try, meanwhile praying it'd not upset their stomachs. I also found this method preferable to cramming food into them as someone once suggested. :blink:

Let me know if I left out anything important. :)

ETA: I should mention this method was developed out of necessity for my girls when they were very very sick. If it was "only" pickiness and not health-related, I'd certainly try other things first.

Edited by ZoomDoggy

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest MrsDooLittle

At first I thought you were talking about a 15 year old HUMAN and I was going to say 'let them get really hungry' but it's altogether different with a dog!!

I did this with my two 17 year old cats....I fed them whatever whenever....even putting canned cat food through a strainer so it was almost a liquid and they could lap it up.

I think you're being such a good Mommy to him. One thing my old kitties liked was baby food.....I would get the meat variety and they would lap it up when nothing else appealed to them. I have also used it on my old hound dog when I first found her and she wouldn't eat....I mixed baby food with kibble. I cooked scrambled eggs for her, boiled chicken, etc., and even tried cat food since it's so smelly.

When I am his age, I will be picky too......(smile)

Cindy

Guest Tenderhearts
Oh I would do anything for him, cook and freeze sure! He could very well be starting some kidney issues, I should try the Hills kidney food, but I am afraid he won't eat it. He stands his ground when he wants something or doesn't want something. Should I do blood again or bring in a pee sample? :(

IF he does have kidney issues, I will say I have had no trouble getting Biscuit to eat the canned K/D. The kibble appears to be pretty unpallatible for dogs, as are most of the dry prescription foods. The H/D (which technically she qualifies for) is darned unpallatible in either form, so the K/D was the next best thing. It tends to be a bit dry in texture, but by mixing in some water, and then warming it, clean bowl here :)

We also had a little poodle who would board frequently at the clinic where I worked, with heart/kidney issues, and he ate the K/D like crazy :)

I always warm the dogs food in the microwave, no matter what they are eating. Always have, even when they were younger.

Same here :nod:D

Oh I would do anything for him, cook and freeze sure! He could very well be starting some kidney issues, I should try the Hills kidney food, but I am afraid he won't eat it. He stands his ground when he wants something or doesn't want something. Should I do blood again or bring in a pee sample? :(

IF he does have kidney issues, I will say I have had no trouble getting Biscuit to eat the canned K/D. The kibble appears to be pretty unpallatible for dogs, as are most of the dry prescription foods. The H/D (which technically she qualifies for) is darned unpallatible in either form, so the K/D was the next best thing. It tends to be a bit dry in texture, but by mixing in some water, and then warming it, clean bowl here :)

We also had a little poodle who would board frequently at the clinic where I worked, with heart/kidney issues, and he ate the K/D like crazy :)

That's interesting, DeVon. My experiences with k/d have been the exact opposite, except in one case. Brett's westie wouldn't TOUCH it unless you fed it to her like it was a treat (she wasn't the brightest bulb), and several of my friend's dogs over the years wouldn't eat it either. Ace and Fritz's littermate brother Funky however, LOVES the stuff. He's a chow hound and will eat anything and is still youngish at nearly 7.

Audrey, if you determine you need to try a kidney food for him, have a look at Solid Gold Holistique Blendz...the protein isn't as low as the k/d or other things like that from the vet, but it is lower than most other foods. It's salmon based too so it smells kinda stinky. Ace and Fritz ate that for a while. You might have to feed more for Darius to keep his weight up though, over the course of about 6 months my kids lost weight on it and I had to switch them to something else. Every dog is different though.

Interestingly though, I've recently been told that for a dog in kidney failure, you want to feed MORE protein rather than less...does anyone have any information on that?

I hope you can find what works for you guys and keeps Mr. Darius happy. 15 and still romping in the yard? I pray that I get to see that with my kids! Hugs to Darius and to you.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest LisaLuvsGreys
My Trevor is turning into a picky eater too and he's only 11. I cook up some chicken livers, chop them up and sprinkle them on top for incentive. It works for him. Maybe Darius might like it too.

That is a great idea!!! I never thought about using chicken livers to entice a picky eater!

Guest VanillaBean

quote]

Interestingly though, I've recently been told that for a dog in kidney failure, you want to feed MORE protein rather than less...does anyone have any information on that?

I have read about that in The Whole Dog Journal. What it said, I don't remember. But you can buy past issues.

Guest KateWantsaGrey
If any of mine live to 15 I would give them anything they want. how about cooking things for him and freezing in portion sized bags so if he gets picky you can give him something else. maybe add things like cheese or tuna to whatever you already have fixed. also jsut putting a spoon or two of rice or potato will peak thier interest.

sounds like a good idea to me, and less wasteful. Maybe you could mix in some extra stinky canned fish to tempt him?

Nevada is 15 years and 5 months old. She can get picky. I've been home cooking for her since the food recall. She eats roasted chicken breasts, turkey & ground beef-each mixed with rice & veggies. I rotate so that she doesn't get bored.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Take a look at Merck under Chronic Renal Failure. There are two issues: One is protein and the waste products it produces in the bloodstream. A dog with kidney failure can't clear those waste products. The other issue is phosphorus, and the damage it does. Most sources currently recommend a diet that is *moderate* in protein *of high biologic value* (how usable it is to the dog). The highest biological value food for dogs is ... eggs.

Couple resources:

http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/caninekidney.html

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.js...m/bc/130603.htm

It *is* true that there seems to be no value -- and potentially some harm -- in feeding a protein-restricted diet to a dog who does not have kidney disease.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest gonewtthewind1

When Skippy got picky mom fed him deer meat. It is kind of stinky, and if he's having a hard time smelling it might help him. He ate it for awhile, and then stopped.

Becky

Aimee, thank you so much for that information, I printed it out for future use. I agree that when they are on hunger strikes their tummies do shrink and I think this has happened to Mr Man.

Darius does not seem “sick” but my vet did email me to let him see and weigh him on Thursday, he will be going on vacation Friday. He also didn’t think that Darius would like the Hills food.

Do you know that Darius does not like eggs? If I hard boil one he snubs it, but if I have left over breakfast of eggs and toast , he will want it. The other vet at the clinic did tell me I should give Darius an egg a day.

Kristin I will make a note to buy the Solid Gold Holistique Blendz in the future.

Nevada must get her food heated since you cook for her Carol?

But I want to THANK EVERYONE and Judy guess what? I heated his kibbles and lamb chunks in the microwave with added water and NuPro supplement and HE ATE it all and he even ate it all this morning!!!!! :pepper

Must be the nose!!!!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

With Freddie, when all else failed, I gave him canned cat food.

Was it good for him? No. Did I care? No. I gave him whatever he would eat. If eating off my plate worked, he got it. At their age (and knowing we were losing him), I gave him whatever worked.

I know it's hard. Hug that boy for me.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Guest Tenderhearts
But I want to THANK EVERYONE and Judy guess what? I heated his kibbles and lamb chunks in the microwave with added water and NuPro supplement and HE ATE it all and he even ate it all this morning!!!!! :pepper

Must be the nose!!!!

:confetti :confetti :confetti :confetti :confetti

Must be the nose!!!!

:yay :yay :yay

Keep it up Darius, Darlin'!

:wub: :wub: :wub:

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Great news! :banana

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Nevada must get her food heated since you cook for her Carol?

Yes, the Diva gets her food warmed in the microwave. :rolleyes: I think it's all about the nose too. Got to make it tempting for them. Heck, older human people start to eat less too-their senses start to decrease & thus they no longer want to eat.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

He ate dinner last night and breakfast this morning!!!!

Mr. Man is still MAGNIFICENT!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif