Tessa Ate Some Candles!

DH and I just noticed some things on the floor, and realized they are 3 wicks from candles. The metal part is still attached to the bottoms. I'd gotten some hazelnut votives for Christmas, and was burning one (out of reach), and put the 3 others on a bookcase in the dining room. I didn't think they were in Grey reach, but apparently they were. These are small votive candles. I guess she must have chewed them up. Though we didn't see who did it, I'm sure it was Tess, my power chewer. I'm really concerned right now. This can't be good. Though I guess they would be in pieces, and not one big lump of wax in her stomach, would this be easy to pass? They all just ate, and I'm not sure if she did this before dinner or after. Should I be doing anything, or watching for anything? Should I call the vet?

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Definitely call the vet or e-vet. Even if they were in pieces if they glob up together due to the warmth in her body they could cause a blockage.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

They'll pass through just fine....Fenway ate a 4 inch pillar candle. Sustainer (metal disk), wick and all. Yum! :chow No adverse effects, not even any D.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest DoofBert

FYI, our Tania ate part of candle....and they did pass. Fortunately, the candle was off white, so it was very easy to detect in the stool.

Our vet did cautionus to watch for signs of blockage, but we didn't have any.

Hopefully she will be fine. Foxy ate candles way back when she was young and foolish. No ill effects, just purple poop. :lol

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I talked to the vet and vet techs today (I work at a shelter), and they all thought she should pass the candles okay. Of course, everyone said to be on the alert for signs of a blockage---which as paranoid as I am, I'll be doing like a hawk! But she's seemed just fine last night and today. Eating great, stomach normal, no vomiting. She's had several normal stools, but we couldn't really see much since the candles were brown too. Hazelnut. Maybe we should buy purple or red, just in case she gets the urge for some yummy wax again. Well, no candles on shelves anymore. They will be locked away!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest DogDayzGreyz

Oh Lordy! Forrest has eaten 2 candles (not to mention all the panties, pom pom's and My Little Pet Shop Creatures!)! They passed fine and my vet is convinced he's a cow with 4 stomachs! :lol

All kidding aside, I hope she's ok, keep us posted, 'K?

OMG, I hope Tessa is OK!

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}