Kips Toe... Swollen

Guest Kipsmom

Guest Kipsmom

I hope my absense won't deter y'all from helping poor Kip. Pooooorrrrrr Kip. :( He has a toe that all of a sudden swelled up to twice it's size and is angry red. Tender to touch and he keeps licking. I stop him everytime I see him licking but I know he gets a rogue lick in there now and again. It flared up yesterday. I don't want to rush off to the vet just yet and we've been putting cold compress on it twice a day. Any other remedies that y'all can suggest in the mean time? I'm going to watch it a couple days and if there is no improvement then we'll go to the vet. I'm kinda thinking bug bite, but I can't see any bite marks. Its only one toe, an outside toe. He puts weight on it 90% of the time. Sometimes he hops on it. So I know it's hurting him some.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Edited by Kipsmom

Keep putting the compresses on it. I'd add a daily soaking in epsom salt and lukewarm water. Also, if it is a bug bite, it won't hurt to give him a Benedryl which may alleviate any swelling.

Good Luck Kip!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

hey Krista :wave Jenn beat me to it I was going to say that if you think bug bite then give some Benadryl to see if that helps

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Hopefully it is something relatively minor like an insect bite, but I'm wondering if he might have broken or cracked the toe? I've broken three toes myself and they all swelled up dramatically and went bright red and were very painful. If not that, then I'd be wondering about an infection and I know from experience that infections in toes can move very quickly.

I think if it was me, I'd be taking him to a vet sooner rather than later, but then I am a bit of a worrier.

Hope Kip's feeling better soon.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest Kipsmom

Thanks! OK I'll add epsom salt and warm water. I have that here. I also have benedryl. He hasn't limped on it today at all and isn't licking on it so I'm hoping it isn't bothering him too much today.

I don't want to rush to the vet cause I have to watch every penny in and out. I will definitely take him if I feel he needs to be taken. None of my animals go without proper care I promise that. :)

Hopefully it is something relatively minor like an insect bite, but I'm wondering if he might have broken or cracked the toe? I've broken three toes myself and they all swelled up dramatically and went bright red and were very painful. If not that, then I'd be wondering about an infection and I know from experience that infections in toes can move very quickly.

I think if it was me, I'd be taking him to a vet sooner rather than later, but then I am a bit of a worrier.

Hope Kip's feeling better soon.

I hope it's not a break. I hadn't thought about that. :( If it is a break, what would a vet do for it?

I hope it's not a break. I hadn't thought about that. :( If it is a break, what would a vet do for it?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you unnecessarily. I'm not sure what a vet would do as I've never had a dog with a broken toe. With my own broken toes, the hospital just taped the broken one to the toe next door and told me to take painkillers. As Kip's walking on it OK today, it's probably not broken I should think.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Guest Snowy8
Keep putting the compresses on it. I'd add a daily soaking in epsom salt and lukewarm water. Also, if it is a bug bite, it won't hurt to give him a Benedryl which may alleviate any swelling.

Good Luck Kip!

Krista, I was just thinking about you the other day! Poor Kip toe. I would do what you're doing, but maybe on Monday take him to the vet. I have had 2 with toe problems, both turned out to be nail bed infections...both ended up with amputation, which to these guys was no big deal. I fretted more than they did.

I have used epsom salt before & it works wonders!

Ouch poor Kip! I third the epson salt idea, try to treat him as you would yourself. Rest, warm and cold compress - alternate, epsom salt soaks, benadryl won't hurt him and might also help keep him quieter.

As for a broken toe, ask Chirs, Sequoia had a broken toe a few years ago.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Can you see if there is any puss or ooze at all? Similar thing happened to us recently. I noticed Fenway limping, but only on the bark chips at work (they go with me, there is a fenced area for them to play in). I didn't think much of it, but I wish I would have gone to the vet. Instead we ended up going up to Vancouver, CA and did a LOT of walking. The following weekend Fenway was on the couch and I picked up his paw, he screamed. Upon closer examination I realised it was swollen between the toes, so that I would not have otherwise noticed. He also had what looked like a scab right next to his nail bed. When I picked at it he screamed again, blood was everywhere. At that point off we went to the vet, and he had his toe cleaned and bandaged. We left with pain meds and antibiotics. Fenway likely had a puncture wound that got infected right "under" his nail. He was better in no time, but it did require a trip to the vet.

I hope Kip feels better soon!

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest wmlcml6

Good Luck Kip!

exactly what I would have suggested.

Psi had this happen bout 3 wks ago. Off to the vet I go cause the swelling was increasing and he would not walk on it. They gave me antibiotics and an antinflaimatory. They could not see a bug bite but i was def an issue for him. Well 1 1/2 days later swelling was down and he was walking on it like nothing. Moral of my story next time I will wait a few more days and soak it as recomended above

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest vahoundlover

Everybody gets busy in life, you will always get support from everyone here!

Sending prayers the soaking and compresses help and Kip's toe is getting better. :goodluck

PS. It would be nice to see some pics of that handsome fella :nod

Guest Kipsmom

He is doing MUCH better today! Swelling is down, it's not angry red and he's walking on it fine. We are going to keep what we are doing and watch it a while. I didn't give him a benedryl so the swelling went down on its on. He let me mess with it this morning without flinching or giving me his drama king doe eyed oh woe is me pitiful look. :rolleyes:

Here is our latest picture

:wub: :wub: :wub:

DSC03923.jpg

That's great - I was just wondering how his toe was today - and isn't he handsome :wub:

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

Guest Kipsmom

His foot is now 90% better. Still a LITTLE swollen but not red or angry looking. I have a picture. This is what it DID look like.

DSC04017.jpg

DSC04019.jpg

DSC04018.jpg

Edited by Kipsmom