Sherman Is Yelping - When Should I Take Him To The Vet?

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Sherman is my sweet quiet boy- he never gives me the GSOD, and rarely yelps when he bumps against something- so he never 'cries wolf.'

He has been yelping when he gets up and lays down. He is not limping, and is walking okay. He also is play bowing/stretching without yelping. He yelps also when he goes to pick up a toy :( so we think we wrenched his neck. We think he did it on Christmas, playing with another greyhound who came with her humans for Christmas dinner. We noticed he began yelping Tuesday night. He also does a full body shake very gingerly, being cautious of his neck/upper body.

We have been giving ascriptin, which kinda helps- but I really can't tell, since he's so lazy. I really do not want to make an unnecessary vet trip- but what can the vet do?

We are free-feeders, and I add special 'mix-ins' for breakfast and dinner, which he has been turning his nose up at those, but DH says he munches during the day, so he is eating and drinking. (We do have raised feeders, so I doubt his turning his nose up is due to bending down to eat.)

He breaks my heart, I love my big boy. :wub:

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Pain is not good. Personally I wouldn't wait and I'd make an appointment, especially if it's been a few days. But that's just me, I am of the better safe than sorry camp.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

do you have any muscle massage ointment that you can rub into his neckad shoulder muscles. that's what i did when loca seemed to pull a neck muscle, and it helped.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I too, would take him in ASAP. Greyhounds are known to be stoic, if he is letting you know, he must be very uncomfortable. Poor baby.

Prayers for nothing serious. Please update.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Shermanator
do you have any muscle massage ointment that you can rub into his neckad shoulder muscles. that's what i did when loca seemed to pull a neck muscle, and it helped.

No, I do not have any, but I have repeatedly tried to rub him down, applying slight pressure all over his neck, back and upper body, back- all over, and he does not react.

I'd probably take him in right away. What is Ascriptin?

Ascriptin is Asprin coated with Maalox.

Guest HeatherDemps

I don't like unneccessary trips to the vet but for me, it always comes down to I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'd have him looked at since it's been several days now.

I would go to the vet. It sounds like neck pain. That is what was happening with Angel Sophia and we know her sad story. :grouphug Sending my many prayers that this is only a "muscle" strain and not anything to do with a disc. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest alannamac

Yes, I'd take him in too. If you do and they put him on any pain meds....please don't make the same mistake I did and just go along blindly! Ask for a sheet of side effects for the med (not just a verbal). I've just been through a terrifying experience with Bandit over a simple anti-inflammatory given for several days for a hip injury (I took him in because he was yelping for several days when having to get up or reposition himself when laying down)

Be educated and informed before using any meds and know what to do if your baby is the 1 in 1,000 that reacts poorly!

Hope Sherman's feeling better soon!

If you do take him in, make sure you tell the vet you've been giving the ascriptin - there are some pain meds that have to "clear the system" before being able to start another pain med safely. I can't remember what the deal is right now, but I do remember having to wait 3-4 days when switching from one pain med to the next with Frazzle, and so there were several days that he did not have anything for pain on board.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

it really does sound like neck pain. I would probably take him in as soon as I could...he'll need some muscle relaxers and heavy duty pain reliever. neck/back pain is really awful. :grouphug:hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Tenderhearts

I would get him in to the vet.

Randy was doing the same thing that you described.

The vet couldn't find anything specific; Randy didn't vocalize no matter what the vet did.

We continued the Ascriptin for a couple of weeks, kept his activities restricted, and it resolved.

Guest chigal950

Hoping its just a temporary strain or something but its worth it to go to the vet and get on the right kind of pain/muscle meds. If you give over the counter you may have to wait quite a long time (1-2 weeks) to get on the good stuff.

Guest Shermanator

I was going to take him into the vet, but he started to get better. No yelping, he was shaking his body with no major problems. He also started to play. However, we think he aggravated the problem - because he started yelping again. He has complete range of motion, and through massage and stretching, I figured out the pain is between his shoulder blades. I gave him some pain meds last night, and he is not yelping this morning. He's doing pretty well - eating, drinking etc. :)

Thanks for all your thoughts!

unfortunately, that's what usually happens with neck injuries. as soon as they start to feel a little better they'll re-aggravate it by playing. I would definitely try to keep him quiet for a couple of weeks...don't let him run or play and leash walks only...otherwise he could really make it worse :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)