Sore On Zuri's Hind Leg

Zuri stayed with friends over the weekend and when I picked him up, they pointed out a spot on his back leg, really on his butt close to his tail. It's dime-sized and at that time was dry and looked almost like a fresh scar at that point (slightly red, smooth skin, no hair). I thought it was odd since I am almost certain nothing was there when I dropped him off 3 days earlier. I've been keeping an eye on it, and this morning it was much more red and had a bit of puss on it so it is obviously getting worse.

Any ideas on what this might be? I thought instantly of a hot spot. There doesn't seem to be a raised bump, just the sore itself. Zuri does still have issues with SA so I am worried he's working on it when I'm not around or possibly even doing it to himself. But I've had him for a year and a half and we've never had something like this come up before. I don't see him working on it when I'm home.

If it is a hotspot, what's my best course of action? I figured until I hear otherwise, I will at least start applying neosporin, and I think I have a prescription cream that tastes bad to keep him away from it. I also have a malaseb spray, which was for a fungal infection Neyla had, but for some reason I seem to remember Malaseb being used for hotspots. Any problem with trying that?

I'll try to remember to get a picture and post it tomorrow, but wanted to get your thoughts until then. I am willing to get him into the vet, but I'm heading home for xmas and it would be very difficult to get him in until later next week unless it seems absolutely necessary (in which case I can probably take him Saturday morning).

Thanks.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sorry, I didn't make that clear enough. It's not on his anus, it's on his "cheek". Basically the back of his hind leg, up near the tail.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Well...it is tough to say without seeing pics. My first thought were anal glands. They are located beside the anus on both sides. You describe it being close to the tail...and well...so is the anus....so again, without pics it is tough to make an educated guess. Since there is pus, I would clean it up really good with Betadine and then apply some poly/neosporin. If the infection doesn't improve in a day or two I would be tempted to get some antibiotics from the vet. Perhaps it is a bite wound....or a puncture of some kind....could be a hot spot but if it is, they are open oozing sores usually and they tend to them all of the time. Is your pup licking the wound a lot? Even if he is, it doesn't mean it is a hot spot....could be a wound that he is making worse by licking it constantly. Pics would be helpful. ;)

Edited by meakah

Get thee Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound, young lady. :D

I have the hot spot page open on my coffee table as we speak because I think Salem's getting one too. Darn it all though I read it right before going to bed and can't remember a thing. I'll send an email with the treatment advice tonight.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Okay, I will try to get pictures tonight, and Colleen, I will eagerly await your instructions as well. :)

This is definitely not an anal gland issue, it's not close enough to the anus at all. Not a puncture either, no broken skin really, so no cut either. I'll get the picture. :blush

Guest CygnetC

Mike had a NASTY lick granuloma from when we moved (he didn't like change). He would just lick lick lick day and night. We tried everything to close it. The only thing that worked was using antibiotics for the infection (cephalexin) at the same time using Rescue Remedy Cream on the spot itself. The RR stopped his licking.