Worthwhile Tests For Vestibular Disease?

Guest SilveDM

Guest SilveDM

Our beloved 9 yr old grey, Alvin, was just diagnosed by our vet today with vestibular disease. The vet says he needs to see a neurologist and they don't treat it until after the neurologist has run some tests.

His symptoms are spinning eyes and leaning to the left - he's clearly dizzy and trying to support himself by leaning on things to the left and walking during the worst hours. When he's not leaning, his rear legs appear to be moving abnormally. He seems to be eating and eliminating normally. His pupils are normal.

His neurologist visit is Friday - what tests are worth getting done? Which are the most useful for determining course of treatment?

We really can't afford to spend 5000 or 6000 dollars, so I'd like to maximize the tests run as much as possible. He had bloodwork (pre-anesthesia check) last week, and another blood test today for something else (CBC/Chem 27, if that means something).

DH is freaking out, so I appreciate any help.

Thanks!

My 13 yr old was diagnosed w/ vestibular earlier this year. We didn't see a neurologist or anything like that. She was given an antibiotic, something for nausea and maybe one other thing - I can't remember now. She had some improvement by the next day and slowly improved over the next couple of weeks. She's completely fine now. With Mimi, it came on in a split second. One she was fine and the next she couldn't stand and we thought she'd had a stroke.

I think with vestibular the main thing is time and rest.

When did it happen?

Kelly

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Here's a recent thread on the subject that might give you hope and information. :) Prayers for your boy... hope he's feeling much better soon! :hope

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=183237

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest SilveDM

Kikibean:

Alvin fell down some stairs when I was letting them out for their post-dinner walk on Tuesday (8.30 pm-ish). We now think he got dizzy on his way down. Wednesday he went to the vet - they won't treat him without the neurologist recommendation...Friday is his neurologist appointment.

iluvgreys:

I appreciate the link to the thread. I read it prior to posting, which is why I didn't ask about anti-nausea meds. :)

I wanted to know what tests are the best value for the money as the neurologist is going to want to run tests, and we have to let him run some so we can get vet-approved treatment for Alvin.

Reading all the threads though, I'm starting to wonder if we need to call off going to Mom's for Christmas - all that family plus the other three dogs might be a bit much for him.

Guest SilveDM

Well, we went to the neurologist today.

The neurologist felt it wasn't stereotypical enough to be true old dog vestibular disease - Alvin is improving too rapidly (!?!) and he claims vestibular always takes 17 days to run its course. Of course, he couldn't rule it out. He said it might be a brain tumor or a mini-stroke. However, Alvin's heart and major organs are all healthy, so if it's cancer, it hasn't metastasized. Results are still out on his latest blood test and urinalysis.

Rather than go with the more-expensive-than-we-can-afford MRI and possible brain surgery that would take him years to recover from, we're going to hope it's vestibular and see where it goes after a month or so of rest and quiet.

If he seems really dizzy, we'll try giving him a bonine... anyone know the dosage for greys?

Just follow the instructions on the box (same as for humans- it has a very wide margin of safety). I've never heard of the "17 days to run its course" thing.... every time I've dealt with it, the dog is treated immediately and improves rapidly.

Lynn

When I was reading about vestibular after Mimi was diagnosed, it seems like every dog can be different in the amount of time it takes to recover fully. Mimi improved quickly, but then slowed down and it was at least a couple of months before she was truly back to 100%.

Hope he keeps improving!!

Kelly

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Guest SilveDM

We hope he improves too. Thank you for all of the kind thoughts.

Greytalk has been a big help and I noticed the time periods people listed for improvement in greys vary much more widely than the "17 day" standard that the neurologist quoted. I'm always skeptical of time limits that have no reason like that. We'll see where Alvin is in a month, and have the Bonine at hand for if he stops eating or starts throwing up.