Questions About Rescue Remedy

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

My husband just came home with this Rescue Remedy stuff. It says to put 4 drops onto the tongue. It is hard to see the drops land on the tongue to count the drops. Would half a dropperful equal about 4 drops?

Is it pretty much impossible to overdose on this stuff?

I have heard of people rubbing it on the ears? How does that work?

Guest Winterwish

Half a dropperful may be more then 4 drops,but it should be fine.

I haven't heard of rubbing it on the ears tho'.

Edited by Winterwish

What I do is suck some up the dropper, drip 4 drops back in the bottle to give me an idea how much that looks like, squirt it all out, suck up the amount I think is right, and then just squirt it in the mouth.

It works great for some, does a big nothing for others. Good luck with your's!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Never heard of rubbing it on the ears. IMHO drop measuring is worthless and most people that have little or no results try putting it in water or counting drops and give far too little. That funky dropper only fills about halfway and I start with two or three droppers (or half droppers such as they are) right on their tongue (usually followed or preceded by a couple on mine...). Do not spare it. It does work on some and not others but I think a lot of people underdose.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I used to use it regularly for Oliver's thunderstorm fears.

Forget putting it in a water bowl - too dilute.

On really bad storm days I put several full droppers down him.

An alternative for you would be to put the drops on a little little bit of bread.

Don't skimp. There is no overdose level that I could find, but I certainly wouldn't give a whole bottle at once.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I've heard of ear rubbing but have never tried it. you can put four drops on a treat of some kind if he's food motivated. I dispense to my IG that way. I've heard that overdose can exacerbate the symptoms you're trying to relieve but again, have never had it happen. I personally give four drops, then repeat 1/2 hr later. I have given a dose of two drops a few hours after the original two.

It worked wonders in my Dane and seems to work well in my IG but it did absolutely totally nothing for my Mom's Chihuahua except make her pee more frequently. It all depends on the dog...

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest Greyhoundbaby

You can also put the drops on their nose - they'll lick their nose and it will have the same effect...We had success for thunderstorms ONLY if we gave Tapsy the RR soon enough...

I have not used Rescue Remedy but I do use a different homeopathic anxiety medication for my cats. It works sooo incredibly well that it makes my one cat quite 'out of it' for a number of hours (with only 5 drops). What I do is put the drops in a tiny bit of canned food. I know they are cats but you can do something similar if dropping on the tongue is a bit challenging. I have heard good things re: rescue remedy and I sure love the stuff I use (Homeopet).

Guest EmilyAnne

Thank you everyone for all your replies! I have decided to try two dropperfuls next time Henry has a seizure, or if he tosses and turns a lot like he did in the hours before his seizure. Normally Henry only needs to be re-covered with his blankie once in the night. The hours before his seizure, I had to recover him a lot more times. Now I know to watch out for that tossing and turning as a sign of a possible seizure coming on.

I have not used Rescue Remedy but I do use a different homeopathic anxiety medication for my cats. It works sooo incredibly well that it makes my one cat quite 'out of it' for a number of hours (with only 5 drops). What I do is put the drops in a tiny bit of canned food. I know they are cats but you can do something similar if dropping on the tongue is a bit challenging. I have heard good things re: rescue remedy and I sure love the stuff I use (Homeopet).

Ah! Thank you for that link! I know you werent thinking of my kitty as you posted, but I am going to get that for our kitty Mabel! We will be driving from Michigan to Florida in early January, and then back again in February or so. I know that is going to be very stressful for her. How often can you use that? How much should I get for approx. 6 days worth?

Ah! Thank you for that link! I know you werent thinking of my kitty as you posted, but I am going to get that for our kitty Mabel! We will be driving from Michigan to Florida in early January, and then back again in February or so. I know that is going to be very stressful for her. How often can you use that? How much should I get for approx. 6 days worth?

Well isn't that a coincidence! :P I have one cat that has HORRIBLE travel anxiety. He sits in the back corner of his kennel and pants and cries the entire time to the point that I fear he will drop dead from a heart attack. I got this stuff from my vet and WOW! What an improvement!! He lets out maybe 5 meows at most at the beginning of the drive and then rests quietly the rest of the time (~ 7 hour drive done twice in the past couple of months). Not only that, he is quite relaxed when I brought him inside of his new temporary home (I am going away for a few months) when normally he is EXTREMELY skittish. All I gave him was 6 drops 30 mins before I left the house and that was it. After the drive and into the new house he still seemed quite relaxed. I thought wow, he is really improving but then the next day he was hiding (his normal self in situations like this). So it seemed like that stuff lasted for a super long time. Both of my cats don't seem to notice it when I put the drops in their food (couple of spoonfuls of canned food) and one of my kitties is very picky...so if someone was going to notice it, it would be him. I can't recommend this stuff enough. The bottle cost about $25 but it is well worth it and will last for a long time since you only need ~5 drops per kitty. I did read that you could give them a few doses at the beginning of the drive but I haven't found the need to give them more than one. But I am sure each kitty is different. For 6 days, one bottle is all you need and you will still have tons left at the end. Definitely worth getting.

The other thing I should have added....my cats seem to be waaaay happier in the vehicle when a blanket covers their kennel. I find when there isn't anything covering the holes, all the movement out of the windows REALLY freak them out. Once I put the blanket over it (leaving just a small gap at the door so that they could see me) they relaxed much much more.