Benadryl Seems To Be Working

Ok... so here we go with a Dee update. I'm sorry - I know there are probably some people saying "not her again!!" :unsure

The story is when Dee first came, I was sure I smelled an infection but I couldn't find anything. On day 6 here, she had a vet appt and he found an infection on her skin on one of her hind legs. She was treated with antibiotics (when I could trick her into taking them properly) and the scent has disappeared - and the leg looks better, I think.

I say "I think," because both back legs are all chewed from her incessant chewing and licking. And, she's been scratching around her neck a lot. We had switched her to Mature kirkland so maybe that played a role. Today we got a bag of the Kirkland we were giving her when she arrived, so maybe that will make a difference.

Today, she was scratching so much, I gave her 25 mg of Benadryl. While she's not out of it, she's definitely a lot quieter. :lol I think my bathroom trash can is safe for a few hours at least. As is the ceramic Santa she is absolutely determined to have as hers. And the stuffed Santa she stole.

Anyway, I don't want to dope her up, but she does have a vet appt on Friday so I figure I'll give her the Benadryl if she is seeming to be too uncomfortable. 25 mg is a good dose for a 60 pound or so pup, right? Or should she be getting less? She's really not a big girl.

Man, I worry about her. Maybe it's because I still don't feel like I did enough for my Oscar man. :(

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

She could actually take double the dose so don't worry. Foxy gets 50 mg when she needs it.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

ditto the dosage info above. Hope the vet appt is a good one. You did ALL for your oscar man dont ever doubt your care for your boy

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

We had good success putting Gold Bond powder (in the yellow container) on our hound's itchy spots. Our vet now recommends it. :colgate

Good luck...to you AND ceramic Santa.

ditto the dosage info above. Hope the vet appt is a good one. You did ALL for your oscar man dont ever doubt your care for your boy

Thanks. :blush In my head I know that, but my heart tends to get in the way sometimes...

She could actually take double the dose so don't worry. Foxy gets 50 mg when she needs it.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind if she seems to have any really bad itching episodes again.

How about Bag-balm on the spots.

I can definitely try it.

We had good success putting Gold Bond powder (in the yellow container) on our hound's itchy spots. Our vet now recommends it. :colgate

Good luck...to you AND ceramic Santa.

Ok, that's another thing I can try. Thanks.

As for Santa, he survived the day, but a stuffed santa bear I had on a cabinet that is 6 ft + high is now resting in peace. :blink:

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

Guest VelvetEars

pure lavender essential oil on itchy/sore/raw spots works well. it doesn't sting, and the dogs tend to not lick it. it's antibacterial and antiseptic and promotes healing. make sure it's pure lavender eo and not fragrance oil, though. Hobby Lobby actually carries it in their soapmaking section, and you can get it at many health food or whole food markets.