Gross!

Guest Zoomom

I was just rubbing Melody's back and I felt a little growth, it was just like the wart she has now on her side- the one that the vet said is fine as long as it stays like it has been for the past 8 months or so, except this new one was smaller. I was sort of pinching it as I was feeling it, and then gave it a little tug and it came right out, blech! It is small and sort of triangular with a sort of root coming out where it was attached to the skin. Where it was is just a tiny, slightly raised area. Anyone else have any experience with this?

Guest ThunderPaws

I know exactly how it looks, it has a long root in the center. Have no idea what it is. A foster had it, I pulled it out and it never came back.

ew, freaky, I've never heard of that! sounds like you pulled it out by the roots, though...weird!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Beans had one on his shoulder - It was really too big for me to pull off so I had the vet take it off. He didn't even flinch.

Does Melody get sebaceous cysts too? They look like big wart/pimples. If you pop them nasty smelly stuff comes out. Beans gets them every so often.

I didn't take any pictures, I thought about it, but it was too gross, I didn't want it around at all.

Melody has one other "wart" that I know of, it is on her side and has been there for almost a year. A couple of vets have seen it at various physicals, they all said just keep an eye on it and bring her in if it changes at all, which it hasn't. I have never tried to pop it, and no one had ever suggested it, so I don't imagine it's the same thing.

I don't know if it's the same thing, but Sobe had 2 "growth" things. One on each shoulder. White, sticking out, elongated, about 1/4" inch long. Didn't bother him a bit, but they were visible. I pinched at them, and there didn't seem to be any feeling in them. I asked the vet, when he went in for shots, and he said they were warts. Looked like what I would call "skin tags". He snipped them off, then burnt the skin. It didn't bother Sobe a bit. He said they didn't NEED to be taken off - no problem - but ... it's a cheap, easy procedure. He said if my dog had any hair, I'd never know he had them. And, apparently (like humans) a virus causes warts, and you carry it forever, so he'll probably get them again.

Not sure if it's the same thing as Melody's... but if it came off ok, and she looks fine, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

Hmmmm, I was going to post a thread about Woodie's skin irritation. We will make a vet appt for him on Monday )tomorrow) because he has SOMETHING. It is on his snout, it could be an infected whisker follicle but if I put spray or antiseptic on it, he winces. It is hard and red, looks like a wart. I don't think it's fluid-filled. Our pics so far failed but here they are:

44f667aa.jpg

This second pic was actually taken BEFORE I even noticed the bump. But I di notice it before I ever saw this picture downloaded onto the computer. I don't think the bump was the reason for the irritated look on his face but it probably contributed!!!!!

0c380d65.jpg

I will post when I get back from the vet. We have to take them to an overnight boarding place that is very dog and human interactive next weekend so I hope to get this taken care of prior to that...no need to spread any viruses to others!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

After I first got Zoe home I noticed she had a ton of warts (she was a bounceback) later I noticed they all dried up and I could pull they right out?!!!!? :yuck Don't know why or what but she hasn't had any since.

Edited by Fudge

Guest ArtysPeople
Melody has one other "wart" that I know of, it is on her side and has been there for almost a year. A couple of vets have seen it at various physicals, they all said just keep an eye on it and bring her in if it changes at all, which it hasn't. I have never tried to pop it, and no one had ever suggested it, so I don't imagine it's the same thing.

Arty has a cyst (diagnosed as such) on the front of one of his legs. It grew over the summer from non-existent to pencil-eraser-size, which was why we took him in to the vet about it. She did a quick needle biopsy of it in the office, stuck it under the microscope, and said that based on what she saw, it was a classic cyst. In other words, a large cousin of a pimple. It hasn't grown since then, and may have shrunk a bit. The vet said that "some people" purposely popped them, but she didn't advise it since it could lead to irritation or even infection nearby. She said that it wasn't a big deal, and since he's a grey she doesn't want to put him under just for that, but if we have him under anesthesia for some other reason she'll go ahead and take it off then if we want. She also said it may just burst on its own and go away.

All of this to say, what Melody has may be the same thing that the other posters were describing.

And, to gratuitously comment on the original post, EWWWWWWW!

Well, the vet visit today gave us this information about Woodie's bump:

It is either a histiocytoma (which is benign growth) and it will dry up and fall off or disappear.

-or-

a mast cell tumor which would then get bigger or still be here in February.

So, for now, we wait and see. If we think it looks bad or is still here in Feb., we'll take him in and get it aspirated or removed. It is 8 mm now.

We'll keep our fingers crossed!!

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

• 3 weeks later...
Arghhhhhhhhhhhh! Does this hat make my skintag look big?!?!? BAHHHHHHHHH HUMBUG! :lol

Thats the best Xmas outtake pic yet!! :rofl

Thanks!! :lol

The GOOD news is that the "bump" has completely flattened and is still pink, but almost gone!! We did start giving him a nutritional supplement right after he got it so who knows what healed it but the point is, it's almost GONE!!

WOOHOOOOO!!!!

I just thought an update would be a good thing to do to celebrate!

Siggy4.jpg

Daisy had a skin tag that later developed into a mast cell tumor that had to be removed (malignant cancer). It's best to keep an eye on them and have them removed, if necessary.

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)