At A Loss Here....

Remember about three weeks ago Jax got really tore up? So I made pens that they are allowed to be in thru doggie door. They are also muzzled now if I am not home. Jax and her boo boos.....(this is the story).

Anyway I get home tonight from work and she has another medium size gash on her side. I have no idea what is going on....any suggestions? I am so scared that a coyote IS getting in here and now they are defenceless.........Yes, all muzzles on when I left and still on ALL of them when I got home.

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

Have you checked all around the doggie door to make sure there's nothing broken/sharp that she might be catching herself of?

I'd have thought that if it were coyotes they'd all be acting nervous and jumpy ... not that I have a clue about coyotes, never having even seen one. :P

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

It might be a good idea to keep Jax separate from the other dogs for a while too. That is still a possibility.

How can they get her is they all have their muzzles on? I know next to nothing about the muzzles...

Is there a top on the pens so nothing from outside can get in? Did she have any contact with the other dogs while you were gone, inside or out?

No top, and yes they all have contact. Nothing sharp or anything to get on that I can see. This is so confusing....

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

So if the top is open, in theory something could be getting in, but it sounds a bit more likely that something is going on between your own dogs in the house.

Guest SillyDog
How can they get her is they all have their muzzles on? I know next to nothing about the muzzles...

One of my greys is able to pick up stuffies while wearing his muzzle. I have no doubt that if he wanted to, he could bite the other through his muzzle. Something similar might be going on in your group.

I hope you find out what it is, soon! Good luck!

Guest charmsmom

Yes, Charm can pick up stuffies through his muzzle, too. While muzzles are a good defense, they're not foolproof. I would keep Jax separate for a while to make sure none of the other hounds are getting her.

Will your schedule allow you to close off the doggie door? I don't know anything about coyotes except that they are super smart. I'd worry if it is a coyote that it would figure out your doggie door too.

Good luck. This must be hard to come home to!

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Could she be playing with someone and it is a claw "cutting" her? I've seen that happen before.

RE: injuries with muzzles on... if it's a clean "cut" ... I would be more likely to think claw .. or something sharp on a muzzle (the buckle ... ??). If it's a tear .. they can get ahold of hair and probably if they push hard enough, they could get a nip of skin which could then tear. Personally, I don't like leaving my guys muzzled with a cup, but maybe you could the lower part of the muzzle, leaving the top and top front section open (kind of like 1/2 of a cup) ... makes a TERRIBLE mess when they get a drink - but maybe, IF it is someone getting too rough ... it might make it so they can't get a hold of fur/skin.

Just a thought...

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

Guest BlackandBrindle

Dogs can do scarily amazing things through their muzzles. Sadie is very adept at getting something she wants through her muzzle.

Is there any way you can crate Jax or put her in a separate part of the house with Kala or a dog you know there is no problem with?

Look for the simple straight forward answers before the more complex and less likely.

What is the attitude of the pack when you get home? If something is getting into your house, the whole pack would be agitated and letting you know there is something wrong. Dog fights, or one member picking on another member, should have *less* of a disturbance in the packs' behavior as a whole.

Zippy has jumped at Spinner and cut him with her claws, once badly enough for staples. She has also killed squirrels while wearing a muzzle.

Just a couple of random thoughts...