Henry's Blood Test Results

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Ok, we have part of Henry's blood test results in. The vet said that Henry's blood sugar was a little low, and that his thyroid was low as well, but that may not mean anything and he needs to get the rest of the results before he knows. He said something about hormones? Could someone please tell me what all this means? By the way, Henry has seizures. I am hoping there is an answer in here somewhere on possible seizure triggers.

*Emily who is very impatient and wants to know NOW!*

Guest EmilyAnne

It was called a 'senior panel'. He said just a thyroid panel would have been 40 something, but to get the fuller panel was 90 something dollars. I am hoping it covers what you speak of. I will ask the vet tomorrow if it was a FULL thyroid panel or no. If not, then I will request one. I am hoping when he said he needed to see the rest of the results, that means it is likely it is the more full thyroid panel?

So let's say it turns out that Henry does have low thyroid function? What does that mean?

How low was the blood sugar? Low blood sugar can cause a seizure... however, if the blood sample is not spun down soon after being drawn... this can result ina falsely low blood sugar. I'd get the blood sugar rechecked and if still low have the lab run an insulin level. You'll need to do an "Amended insulin:glucose ratio" to determine if the insulin level is significant. If a recheck of the blood sugar is low, email me for more details.

I'd also pursue a thyroid panel via Michigan State before diagnosing hypothyroidism.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest greymom1997

My Phillie had low blood sugar and seizures... turns out it was an Insulinoma (pancreatic cancer)... When I started giving him small meals every 3-4 hours the seizures would stop, but as soon as his belly was empty the twitching and disorientation and then the seizure would begin... His initial fasting blood sugar was 44...

Guest EmilyAnne
My Phillie had low blood sugar and seizures... turns out it was an Insulinoma (pancreatic cancer)... When I started giving him small meals every 3-4 hours the seizures would stop, but as soon as his belly was empty the twitching and disorientation and then the seizure would begin... His initial fasting blood sugar was 44...

Henry has had seizures since at least when he was first rescued from a shelter 2 years ago. So I imagine if it was cancer he'd be doing much worse by now. My husband is out getting a copy of the results right now...

Guest EmilyAnne

Ok, so Henry was diagnosed as hypothroid. I am taking this with a grain of salt so far though. Henry was in greyound rescue for a long time, so I would have though theyw ould have found this? My vet says his parents have two greyhounds so he is familiar about them. Is there any chance he would misunderstand the results? I am going to call the Henry's last foster parents and found out....

Guest EmilyAnne

My husband just called the vet, and the vet said yes, that it was a full panel. I have a prescription here for Henry for Soloxine. Gee, could this have been the reason for his seizures all along?

Edited by EmilyAnne

Can you list the results of the thyroid panel? A full thyroid panel should include the following:

Total T4

Free T4 (ideally measured by equilibrium dialysis)

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone

There will likely be other measurements of T3 and T3T4 autoantibody, etc. but the above levels are the most important.

Also wanted to add that although seizures are listed as a symptom of hypothyroidism... this relationship is actually poorly defined and many internists believe it is an urban legend. Back when this cause/effect was discussed, it was before we had an understanding of sick euthyroid syndrome and that various diseases can lower the thyroid levels without the animal truly being hypothyroid.

Alternatively, if you can't post the levels or even if you can... you could have the labs faxed to Ohio State's Greyhound group for a quick consult.

Bill

Lady

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest EmilyAnne

Ok, I will put in exactly as the paper says on the part I think you want:

TH PLUS, T3 AND FREE T4 ED / FREE T4 (EQUAL DIALYSIS)

Test: FREE T4-ed (ng/dl)

Result: 0.3

Reference Range: 0.7- 2.5 ng/dL

Flag: L

Test: FREE T4-ed (pmol/L)

Result: 3.9

Reference Range: 9.0 - 32.2 pmol/L

------------------------------

TH PLUS, T3 AND FREE T4 ED / T4

Test: T4

Result: 0.6

Reference range: 0.8 - 5.0 ug/dL

----------------------------

TH PLUS, T3 AND FREE T4 ED / T3

Test: T3

Result: 93

Reference Range: 55 - 150 ng/dL

I have several pages here worth of results, anything else you need to know, just ask.

Edited by EmilyAnne

Henry has had seizures since at least when he was first rescued from a shelter 2 years ago. So I imagine if it was cancer he'd be doing much worse by now. My husband is out getting a copy of the results right now...

To be exact, since his first seizure was with us, it was the beginning of December in 2005. I cannot remember what tests we had run on him... Henry has visited several rescue groups to find his family. I believe we had a full panel thyroid done then... I'm hoping you got the medical records with him. If not, I can get them for you...

Edited by Peanut

I am unable to find 'Thyroid Stimulating Hormone'? Is there an abbreviation for that or something that would be used on these results?

Thyroid Stimulating Hormone = TSH

I would try to track down the previous copy of his complete thyroid panel another poster had mentioned first. I would also strongly consider requesting that a premium thyroid panel be sent to Michigan State and request an interpretation by the endocrinologists there. If the only clincal sign is a seizure, I would be pretty hesitant to start my own Greyhound on thyroid supplementation without an elevated TSH to support the diagnosis.

Just my $0.02.

Bill

Lady

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest EmilyAnne

It is hard to tell if he has symtoms as well, cause he is on epilepsy meds. He is on pheno and pottasium bromide. Here are things I notice about him. He tends to 'tip' over, catching hmself before he falls, usually. Once he flat out fell down and his legs were splayed and I had to help him up. This is my first greyhound, so I dont know what is common for greyhounds, but he also does this wheezing and fluttering of the lips thing. He has dry itchy skin. He is lethargic and sleeps hours on end, and rarely do I see spunk in him. When he does show spunk, it is only for two seconds. He is majorly food obsessed. He used to be quite overweight. He is now doing much better. I am amazed how little food he needs to maintain his weight. It is almost the same as our other dog who is only 50 lbs. (Henry is 80 lbs) Henry eats 2 1/2 cups of food throughout the day, one hard boiled egg and 2 baby carrots, and about 3 small treats per day.

Editing to add: Also, we just adopted him Oct. 27th, so this also makes it hard for us to be able to tell if he displays symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Edited by EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

To be exact, since his first seizure was with us, it was the beginning of December in 2005. I cannot remember what tests we had run on him... Henry has visited several rescue groups to find his family. I believe we had a full panel thyroid done then... I'm hoping you got the medical records with him. If not, I can get them for you...

Hey Peanut!!! :) I am scrambling here to to do my very bestest for Henry. I just love him so much! :wub:

I see some lab work from Dec. 5/2005. It shows:

ALB

ALKB

ALT

AMYL

BUN

CA

CHOL

CREA

GLOB

GLU

PHOS

TP

Would any of these help figure out the thyroid thing?

I also have labwork from Jan. 25/2007 I think it is just to figure out the 'thereputic levels' of the pheno? It has 'SUPERCHEM' and 'COMPLETE BLOOD COUNT'.

Guest EmilyAnne

I called someone from REGAP. She is gonna make some phone calls for me and find out if a full thyroid panel had been done on Henry while in their care, and what the results were. Meanwhile, tonight I have decided not to start the meds just yet. I hope to get this figured out pretty quick cause if he really does need the med, I'd like to start him asap!

Guest EmilyAnne

Ok, so I am looking at the tests, and it says in 5 places, 'UNABLE TO PERFORM TEST DUE TO EXCESSIVE HEMOLYSIS.'

His glucose is 4, and it says the reference range is 60-125. That's terribly low isnt it? So I guess it is a good thing I have been giving him half a hard boiled egg and a baby carrot between meals?

is that glucose units mg/dL? A result of 4 mg/dL would be incompatible with life. I don't believe that hemolysis usually affects glucose either. He probably should get another level drawn if it was hemolyzed -that means the draw was traumatic and the red cells burst open releasing their contents into the plasma. For some things like potassium the level inside the red cells is about 100 times greater than outside so you can get false results. The other way that hemolysis interferes is that it turns the plasma red instead of yellow and the color can interfere with some methods.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Guest EmilyAnne
is that glucose units mg/dL? A result of 4 mg/dL would be incompatible with life. I don't believe that hemolysis usually affects glucose either. He probably should get another level drawn if it was hemolyzed -that means the draw was traumatic and the red cells burst open releasing their contents into the plasma. For some things like potassium the level inside the red cells is about 100 times greater than outside so you can get false results. The other way that hemolysis interferes is that it turns the plasma red instead of yellow and the color can interfere with some methods.

Yes, it is mg/dL. I will certainly call the vet asap in the morning and ask him about his. No mention was made of this when my husband picked up the lab work and Henry's thyroid pills at the vet.

Ideally a glucose sample that is not going to be run right away (for example if they don't have their own lab and send it out) should be drawn in a grey topped collection tube that contains sodium oxalate as an anticoagulant.

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Guest EmilyAnne

So this glucose sample, is this tested the same way as a diabetic dog might have his glucose checked? Just wondering cause I had a diabetic dog and they gave me results on the spot.

yep, same test. If there is no delay in testing it then a red topped serum tube is fine. If his value really was 4 he likely wouldn't have walked in the vet's office on his own four feet. Anything below 40 mg/dL is considered a critical value in our lab.