Henry's Blood Test Results

Guest EmilyAnne

Ok. I just read that phenobarb can cause a lower T4 level. http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels...oanneCarson.htm

It sure can! Phenobarbital is known to lower thyroid levels! I would really discuss this with your vet. Most of his "symptoms" sound more likely to be related to his phenobarbital then to hypothyroidism to me. Here are some articles that you can reference if needed.

J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1999 Aug 15;215(4):489-96.Links

Effects of phenobarbital treatment on serum thyroxine and thyroid-stimulating hormone concentrations in epileptic dogs.Gaskill CL, Burton SA, Gelens HC, Ihle SL, Miller JB, Shaw DH, Brimacombe MB, Cribb AE.

Department of Anatomy and Physiology, Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada.

OBJECTIVE: To determine whether phenobarbital treatment of epileptic dogs alters serum thyroxine (T4) and thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) concentrations. DESIGN: Cross-sectional study. ANIMALS: 78 epileptic dogs receiving phenobarbital (group 1) and 48 untreated epileptic dogs (group 2). PROCEDURE: Serum biochemical analyses, including T4 and TSH concentrations, were performed for all dogs. Additional in vitro analyses were performed on serum from healthy dogs to determine whether phenobarbital in serum interferes with T4 assays or alters free T4 (fT4) concentrations. RESULTS: Mean serum T4 concentration was significantly lower, and mean serum TSH concentration significantly higher, in dogs in group 1, compared with those in group 2. Thirty-one (40%) dogs in group 1 had serum T4 concentrations less than the reference range, compared with 4 (8%) dogs in group 2. All dogs in group 2 with low serum T4 concentrations had recently had seizure activity. Five (7%) dogs in group 1, but none of the dogs in group 2, had serum TSH concentrations greater than the reference range. Associations were not detected between serum T4 concentration and TSH concentration, age, phenobarbital dosage, duration of treatment, serum phenobarbital concentration, or degree of seizure control. Signs of overt hypothyroidism were not evident in dogs with low T4 concentrations. Addition of phenobarbital in vitro to serum did not affect determination of T4 concentration and only minimally affected fT4 concentration. CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Clinicians should be aware of the potential for phenobarbital treatment to decrease serum T4 and increase TSH concentrations and should use caution when interpreting results of thyroid tests in dogs receiving phenobarbital.

J Vet Pharmacol Ther. 2000 Aug;23(4):243-9. Links

Changes in serum thyroxine and thyroid-stimulating hormone concentrations in epileptic dogs receiving phenobarbital for one year.Gaskill CL, Burton SA, Gelens HC, Ihle SL, Miller JB, Shaw DH, Brimacombe MB, Cribb AE.

Atlantic Veterinary College, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada.

A multicentric prospective study was conducted to monitor the effect of phenobarbital on serum total thyroxine (T4) and thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) concentrations in epileptic dogs. Serum T4 concentrations were determined for 22 epileptic dogs prior to initiation of phenobarbital therapy (time 0), and 3 weeks, 6 months, and 12 months after the start of phenobarbital. Median T4 concentration was significantly lower at 3 weeks and 6 months compared to time 0. Thirty-two percent of dogs had T4 concentrations below the reference range at 6 and 12 months. Nineteen of the 22 dogs had serum TSH concentrations determined at all sampling times. A significant upward trend in median TSH concentration was found. No associations were found between T4 concentration, dose of phenobarbital, or serum phenobarbital concentration. No signs of overt hypothyroidism were evident in dogs with low T4, with one exception. TSH stimulation tests were performed on six of seven dogs with low T4 concentrations at 12 months, and all but one had normal responses. In conclusion, phenobarbital therapy decreased serum T4 concentration but did not appear to cause clinical signs of hypothyroidism. Serum TSH concentrations and TSH stimulation tests suggest that the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis is functioning appropriately.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest EmilyAnne

Feemandvm, thank you very much for that! I am printing that up and putting it in Henry's notebook. Is it expected that most vets should be aware of this, or should I make a copy for my vet?

Guest EmilyAnne

OK, so a TSH was NOT done, but he said we can have that done through MSU.

Now, my vet said a few things that I am not sure if I should be concerned about. He said that basically a greyhound is like any other dog and all breeds are gonna have something different about them. Hmmm........

Anyone know of excellent vets in Michigan that would be good for Henry?

Feemandvm, thank you very much for that! I am printing that up and putting it in Henry's notebook. Is it expected that most vets should be aware of this, or should I make a copy for my vet?

I would think most would be aware of it... but here is what I would ask your vet:

1. If he/she believes that phenobarbital can lower thyroid levels. If he/she says "No" then I would share with them the article abstracts I posted. If they say "Yes" then ask them why do they think Henry may be hypothyroid vs. just having a lower thyroid level from his phenobarbital.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest EmilyAnne

I would think most would be aware of it... but here is what I would ask your vet:

1. If he/she believes that phenobarbital can lower thyroid levels. If he/she says "No" then I would share with them the article abstracts I posted. If they say "Yes" then ask them why do they think Henry may be hypothyroid vs. just having a lower thyroid level from his phenobarbital.

I mentioned this to our vet this morning. He was already aware of this. But the impression I got was he still feels even if the T4 level is low due to phenobarb, it is still hypothyroidism? I have so much history with this vet and I am very fond of him, but I want the very best for Henry. I told him I need to figure out if Henry is having symptoms to support the diagnosis of Hypothyroidism. He mentioned that the seizures could be one of those side effects. But seizures can be caused by a rather wide range of things. I have sent e-mails to previous foster homes asking about what changes they noticed in Henry as he went on new seizure meds, then I can get a better feel for what is more likely just simply his personality, or his seizure meds, or maybe is in fact hypothyroidism. And I am going to have Henry's THS level checked through MSU.

At the moment I have yet to give Henry a thyroid pill. The vet said it would not harm him and if it turned out Henry did not need the thyroid pills, Henry would be no worse than he is now when I took him off of it. It's not that I dont trust my vet, it's just that I am a very cautious person and want to know what is happening and make informed choices. I feel this way about both conventional and natural medicine.

I am considering a holistic vet. But I am not sure. Do they have science to back their stuff up? Is their stuff any safer? Just cause something is all natural dont make it safe. Marijuana is all natural and that isnt safe! I'd like to figure out the best way to get the most out of BOTH natural and conventional medicine for Henry.