Fiona Ate A Bird - Any Advice?

Fiona3

Two days ago I pulled a dead bird from Fiona's mouth before she could swallow it - but she had all intentions of eating it before I got to her. Just a few minutes ago, I saw her chomping away at something in the back yard and before I could reach her, she swallowed a small bird whole (I think it was a finch). Our vet is closed for lunch and won't open till 2:00 but I could call then if necessary.

Any advice on how to proceed with this situation or will it pass thru her digestive system without any side affects?

It seems if it isn't one thing its another happening with my four greys. I'm growing older fast due to worry. Thanks for any thoughts you have.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Just let it pass through. Many, many years ago Icarus (and maybe Argo) ate three of our four doves. We didn't feed them that night and everything was fine.

More recently, Iris, Artemis, and Icarus have eaten baby rabbits and birds and Iris almost ate a rat.

I really wouldn't worry about it. :)

signature.jpg

Argo and bridge babies Artemis, Icarus and Iris.

A few months ago, Carrier was really sick - couldn't keep anything down and was puking for about two days. The vet made his fast for 24 hours. During this time, we weren't sure what had caused it because we were certain that he didn't get into anything. A day or so later, we found the remains of a frog that he was smelling. I think he ate the frog (YUK!) and that's what made him sick. He was fine afterwards - so I would recommend just keeping an eye on her - and if she is showing any signs of discomfort, call your vet. Carrier also ate two chicken carcasses and three corn on the cob years ago (that's a long story) and passed it without trouble - so I hope your girl will be able to do the same.

Might not be a bad idea to call the vet regardless and see what they say.

Thanks everyone, I feel a little better now. I'll call our vet at 2:00 but it doesn't sound like an emergency. She's acting quite content and pleased with herself right now. I'll keep a close eye on her to see if she has any distress or diarrhea.

Wow, these guys sure eat a variety of wildlife - frogs, rabbits, doves, small birds. YUK! You'd think we didn't feed them.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest greytexplorer

I was thinking of a nice white wine, or even a pale beer to wash it down. :P

Seriously, a couple of slices of bread or dinner rolls might be a good idea.

I definitely don't think you need to go to the vet.

This too will pass.

~Pat

Should pass uneventfully.. especially if it was just a small one.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Well I raw feed, so my perspective is probably more biased than others ;) She'll most likely be fine. Spud has helped himself to a bird upon occasion and Sadie prefers ground squirrels :rolleyes:

You might get some diarrhea if your pup is kibble fed, but probably not.

I called the vet when Sadie ate the ground squirrel (they carry Bubonic Plague down here) and they said the biggest worry would be tape worms. She does not have tapes thank God.

Guest samalama

Sam has eaten two birds (that I know of!) One stayed down and one came back up. The first one was shortly after we adopted him in May and I called my vet in a panic. (Sam is the first dog DH or I have ever owned.) The vet's very nonchalant reply was, "Well, they are omnivores." Twenty four hours should be enough for Fiona to 'pass' the bird -- one way or the other!

Oh yes...BrookLynne ate one 2 weeks ago and I almost threw up. No kissies for 2 days and that broke her little heart...but we just couldn't get past what she had eaten! :rolleyes::lol

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.