Time To Talk About Poop!

Guest charmsmom

Guest charmsmom

I can NOT figure it out. Her poo has not been firm since we got her...kinda like soft biscuit mix. She's on IAMs right now. Raw is not an option with the exception of the occasional turkey neck. DH will not allow it because of cost (I know, I KNOW!) and because we have the young girls (2 & 3 yo).

Well, today, she has had YELLOW, pancake mix diarrhea (breakfast anyone?! :sick ) Yesterday, we were at a Festival doing an event with PRH that was VERY crowded, an hour away, and all day. I wonder if this is just a stress poo? She got LOTS of petting and lots of breaks, but could it still be stress?

Charm has had good poop on Iams, so I hesitate to change him, but I really don't want to have to buy two different foods.

So, I guess I need a food suggestion (Bil-Jac maybe??) and advice on the yellow poo.

Guest meandmygreys

I am not the leading authority on poop....but I have had Justy for quite a while and have YET to have him EVER have what I would call " Kickable POOP " !! His poop is some what soft...like soft serve ice cream ( Oh God what a comparision.. :blink::blink: .) He is perfectly happy and healthy and I believe dogs..like people..do not all have the same type of poop...I don't know what would cause the yellow stuff, except maybe it is stress related.. :blink:

Hope someone more knowledgeable than me answers your question !!

Guest needlenoselover

Sorry about the diarreha, but maybe it was just the stress of yesterday.

We feed RAW here, so we don't have any soft poos ever. (Bonus of RAW feeding!!)

Guest charmsmom
Iams gave all of my dogs very soft poops! :blink:

I feed Purina Pro Plan large breed.

I don't if I can feed that to Paris because her Creatinine is 1.9. I have a vet appt on Wednesday so I will ask my vet about it. I would LOVE to feed raw.... :angryfire

Guest Greensleeves
I have had Justy for quite a while and have YET to have him EVER have what I would call " Kickable POOP " !! His poop is some what soft...like soft serve ice cream ( Oh God what a comparision.. blink.gif blink.gif .) He is perfectly happy and healthy and I believe dogs..like people..do not all have the same type of poop.

Hear, hear!! I second this. It's not the big deal it's often made out to be.

Could she possibly be getting too much to eat? Too much food can cause loose stools also.

Since your hubbie allows turkey necks, could you start giving them to her regularly in addition to her kibble? That way, the bone could help firm things up.

I agree with meanmygreys that kickable poop is a necessity for dog health, but with 2 young girls you'd probably like to have an easy to clean yard.

Hope you find something that works easily. Two young children, two greys and two different ways of feeding said greys sounds like a LOT of work!

Guest meandmygreys
DIAMOND dog food --Senior plus 8-- its chicken and oatmeal , its been out about a year and works for all of ours the boys get 4 cups a day and the girls 3 it also has eggs.

Diamond Dog Food !! Whoo Hooo !! the most underated dog food out there and in my opinion...one of THE best !! I feed Diamond Lamb and Rice..LOVE it !! It is economical to feed mine do great on it...I was feeding Diamond Maintenance and switched over to Lamb and Rice.....We are HAPPY !!

:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:banana:banana:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1

Edited by meandmygreys

Guest SabrinaInDE

My hound had soft poo until I put him on Canidae, now he does fine. I also add two large spoonfuls of plain yogurt in his first feeding, and that seems to help keep his poo "regular" (i.e., not runny), as well. Good luck!

Guest charmsmom

UPDATE! I started changing the food over to the Purina ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula yesterday, and she has already started improving. We're mixed 50/50 with the Iams still, so I can't wait to see if this sticks! At least it's scoopable now, and not just a puddle of poo!! YAY!!!

Guest charmsmom

I haven't added pumpkin or yogurt. We've had her about three weeks. She had another poop this morning that was very nicely formed, so I think this food will do the trick. Plus, the salmon-based food will be good for the arthritis she was diagnosed with this morning. :( :(

Guest Hollys2hounds

My Lexy can eat anything, and her poop is consistently perfect! My Gunner on the other hand is my challenge. I tried the most $$$$$ dog food :o , and the more moderate foods, and still we have had issues.

Now we are down to this (which is working for us): Pro Plan Lamb and Rice mixed with some homemade boiled rice and chopped meat, and a tablespoon of yogurt . Gunner has been perfect now since mid-September.

(Gunner's foster mom had also given him dried beet pulp, which I do mix in about once a week).

For treats, I also have to be very careful!!! Only premium/ all natural "cookies" and only a few during the week. No rawhide, no bully sticks, as these have caused tummy grumbles and diarrhea. He gets one "Dogster or Frosty Paws" at special occasions and they don't seem to give him a problem.

Best of luck!

Edited by Hollys2hounds

Guest Moebaaviva
Well, today, she has had YELLOW, pancake mix diarrhea (breakfast anyone?! :sick ) Yesterday, we were at a Festival doing an event with PRH that was VERY crowded, an hour away, and all day. I wonder if this is just a stress poo? She got LOTS of petting and lots of breaks, but could it still be stress?

Bella is nervous around crowds and a nervous rider, so after any event she has loose poo at best, yellow diarrhea at worst. I usually add a few spoonfuls of pumpkin or yogurt to her next couple of meals and it firms back up within a day or so.