Home Made Goodies - A Poll

Stoney

Home made treats for people - Yay or Nay?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. If you were sent a home made treat (ie cookies, bread, etc) as part of a Secret Santa gift, would you eat it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends - please elaborate

I said, depends. I'm vegan so I would be worried that there would be animal ingredients.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest WhenIGiveIn

I voted depends, if there was something with it that had an ingreidients listed then yes. Unless of course it was something that was obvious like chocolate chip cookies then yes of course I know whats in those. but if it was a bread or something that I couldnt easily identify I would make someone else test it first to make sure there wasnt anything wierd and goughy or that I was allergic to.

I used to get stuff dropped off at the house all the time (from Kate because her uncle is a priest and people were always giving him way more stuff than he could eat.) She said Oh I left some zucinni bread on the counter. I bit into it and there were prunes in it!!! EWWWW not yummy! I now want to know what I am eating and what is in it!

Guest widowcali

I put depends as I really don't eat many sweets. The pumpkin muffin I had this morning was the first sweet I've had in several days. And sometimes things don't travel well here in AZ.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I would eat most anything, unless it was really strange like vegemite or something :lol

As a courtesy, you might list the ingredients of anything you make, just so that people would know if they are allergic to anything :)

Guest greyhound_mommy

I voted depends. I would if you maybe had an evil elf make sure it was something we'd eat. Like we're huge chocolate chip cookie fans but we don't like certain nuts or weird fruits lol.

I'm still hoping for more answers - but thank you so far! I LOOOOOOVE to bake, it's one of my passions in life. However, there are only so many cookies/breads etc that my DH and I can physically consume with out exploding! I just didn't know if people would think it weird ...

I have not voted, but i do know I couldn't bake to ship to my SS as I am in a different country and the customs control people would evict the homemade goodies. shop bought and packaged cookies, sweets, treats etc are OK but not home made :(

I would worry about what sort of temperatures it had been exposed to if I lived somewhere warmer and knew the parcel had been outside all day.

Sure I would if it survived Canada Customs in a timely manner :lol

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Well ok, I've ordered cheesecakes, dog treats, etc that were homemade and never had a problem, as long as you are shipping in country. It should be fine, especially if you use Priority.

Guest ShelbyzMom
very good points RE: shipping and food safety. Maybe I'll just have to contain my baking to friends and family :(

I'd happily consume your baked goods :gmark

If somebody wants to make some truffles and send them my way, I'll try them!

It doesn't hurt to send, but realize maybe the person won't eat it and don't be offended if they don't say how fabulous your treat was. And may be nice to include the recipe or at least the ingredients and what it is so they can determine if it is safe for them to eat.

We sent Diane stuff one year, including fudge. It arrived at least 4 months later. Fudge was hard, but still good :lol

Guest savvyprchick

Yup I would and I'm hoping to send stuff to my SS recipients some goodies, so I'll be watching these polls. Good idea about the recipe, though :)

If it was just me, I would eat anything. However I have a sister who is allergic to nuts and eggs and a DD who is vegan. Both would refuse homemade things from sources they didn't know.

If I was doing the sending I would avoid homemade stuff unless I knew the recipient well.

Guest winli02

Hmmmm...at first I was like "no" cause that's what mom would say but then I remembered last year, when Dylan was sent homemade treats from his SS. They looked so good *I* was snacking on them, too (ok, they were a BIT dry :rolleyes: ). So I guess if I am willing to eat dog treats, I officially WILL eat anything!

Guest Brandy_b

I would eat it as long as I know what it is, lol, and some idea of whats in it. I eat alllll sweets so its all good, lol. But I am not one for weird breads, etc. Lol.....but awesome poll I'd love yo know ppl's answers too, as I love baking our christmas snowball cookies (they include coconut, chocolate, oatmeal, etc.....YUMMMM). Lol

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Hmmmm...at first I was like "no" cause that's what mom would say but then I remembered last year, when Dylan was sent homemade treats from his SS. They looked so good *I* was snacking on them, too (ok, they were a BIT dry :rolleyes: ). So I guess if I am willing to eat dog treats, I officially WILL eat anything!

Thanks winli02, that makes me laugh and gives me the courage to admit that I am part of the I'll-eat-anything club. Just this weekend, I bought a new kind of dog treat for Avery to try with visible apple chunks in it (Avery loves apples) and it smelled so good when I opened the bag, that I ate one. I love that I am not the only person who does this!