Nutty Charlene

Guest greytlady

Guest greytlady

Our little group met up early this morning to head out to search for Charlene. As we were getting on the road the communicator called and gave me the news that she had talked to Charlene and she had moved on to the Bridge. I told her we were coming for her anyway and if she remembered my Flavor. Gail said she told her with a smile in her voice that she did remember Flavor and would help her to locate her physical body. Charlene said she ran from the crash and was near a red shelter. After an almost 3 hour drive over mountains, meet your butt curves and one wrong turn we arrived at the rescue squad and was met by the volunteers that had assisted at the wreck. They took us to the site and to be honest I was amazed that the driver was able to survive. The other volunteer searchers went along the road and I found a little easier place to climb down the ravine with Flavor. We reached the crash site and I told Flavor to listen to Charlene and find her. Flavor went straight to the bottom and headed south. She found one little depression filled with leaves that she circled around and sniffed for a few minutes and headed on again. We reached a little creek and I was thinking at least Charlene would have found water when Flavor stopped. I asked if Charlene was near and Flavor looked up a little hill and when I looked I found her. She was tucked under an over hanging rock. I knew instantly that she hadn't survived. I called out to everyone that I had found her and crouched beside her body and waited tearfully till the rescue squad girl reached us. Gail was right about the red shelter also. When we emerged from the woods we were right behind a little brick church. Thank heavens the lady's husband was able to move Charlene from the woods and we put her in my truck and I brought her home. I talked to her mother on the way home and she was so excited when I told her that we had found Charlene, and devastated when she realized she had passed on.

Charlene came to the kennel from Florida with her sister, No Show Missy. Both very sweet girls. Delicate and graceful as deer with a kiss for anyone that passed by. They were always together at the kennel but as happens most times they were adopted by different families. Missy went to a family that had had a greyhound for several years but always considered themselves a one dog family. They stopped by to visit one day at Petsmart and Missy stole their hearts. She gave a new life to their family and convinced them that two greys are always better than one. She developed a nerve sheath tumor that was untreatable and went to the bridge about a month ago. While Missy's time with her new family was much to short she gave them much love and a new perspective and another greyhound is in their future. Her legacy is that one is never enough.

Charlene was the first greyhound for her new family and was of course the perfect dog. Her sweet nature and loving attitude won over everyone that met her. She was her mother's constant companion and she is devastated at her loss. Two sisters that are together again and two families that morn their passing. But while they have left their families with aching hearts they introduced them to the joy of greyhounds and opened a door to a new life for future hounds.

Run with the angels girls, you will never be forgotten.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytfulhounds

This is just so sad......I wish it had been a happier ending. :cry1

Sara, thank you to you & all of the search volunteers for not giving up and bringing her home..........especially Miss Flavor for leading you to her. :grouphug

Guest vahoundlover

My heart aches for these two families, we all know how quickly we get attached to these wonderful dogs. :cry1 Girls, I never thought life would take this sad twist, I'm glad you knew the love of having a family. Charlene, thank you sweetie for leading Flavor to you, I'm just so sorry it ended this way :cry1 Keep watch over your mom and dad they are so heart broken, they need to know you are ok, please send them a sign as soon as you are able.

Run Free Girls :f_pink:gh_run:f_pink

What a heartbreaking story. I know that she and her sister are together again at the bridge and watching over their

families. My condolences go out to them. Run free, sweet baby girls.

:f_pink:f_pink:f_white:f_white

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

this is just so tragic :cry1:cry1:cry1:cry1

I was so hoping for a good outcome of her search. :cry1:cry1

sending hugs and prayers to her momma, I feel so badly for the pain she's going through :sad1:sad1:sad1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

How very sad. I am so sorry. f_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.